• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA championship: Celtics vs Mavs

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Horford's been a great teammate his entire career. I didn't want him to break Karl Malone's record for playoff games without a ring.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually one person already has mentioned more than once the Celtics path to the title.

If playing teams that are missing players is really part of the story then it should be noted that the '15 Warriors, '16 Cavs, '19 Raptors, '20 Lakers and '23 Nuggets all beat teams missing at least one key player on their way to the title. Should all those team be dinged because of opponents injury? I don't think they should.

An example. Does anyone say that about your '88 Lakers after Zeke messed his ankle up in the Finals and wasn't the same? Of course not.

Injuries will always be part of the game. But unfortunately sometimes they happen at the worst time (playoffs).

Who said anything about being dinged? The story is the story. Each team the Celtics played in the EC playoffs was missing at least one of it's top players. Doesn't mean there's an asterisk or anything stupid like that. Injury luck (good or bad) is always part of the equation.

The Lakers made the WCF last year. In the first 2 rounds, the teams they played were missing a least 1 key player due to injury or suspension. Meanwhile, they had both Lebron and AD healthy. Doesn't mean they get dinged for it. It's just part of the story.

When Toronto beat the Warriors, the Warriors lost KD and Klay. No one dings them for it, it's just part of what happened.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... When Toronto beat the Warriors, the Warriors lost KD and Klay. No one dings them for it, it's just part of what happened.
Wrong!

:behindsofa:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about being dinged? The story is the story. Each team the Celtics played in the EC playoffs was missing at least one of it's top players. Doesn't mean there's an asterisk or anything stupid like that. Injury luck (good or bad) is always part of the equation.

The Lakers made the WCF last year. In the first 2 rounds, the teams they played were missing a least 1 key player due to injury or suspension. Meanwhile, they had both Lebron and AD healthy. Doesn't mean they get dinged for it. It's just part of the story.

When Toronto beat the Warriors, the Warriors lost KD and Klay. No one dings them for it, it's just part of what happened.
Not to mention, Denver had a pretty easy path to the Finals. They didn't play any top seeds if I remember right

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(1)Who said anything about being dinged? The story is the story. Each team the Celtics played in the EC playoffs was missing at least one of it's top players. Doesn't mean there's an asterisk or anything stupid like that. Injury luck (good or bad) is always part of the equation.

You said this. Which I just thought was odd.

I don't think anyone will complain. --->But the injuries opponents had in each of the EC playoff series is part of the story.<---

No it's not part of the story. Injuries happen year in and year out. Even the Celtics weren't 100%. And I don't wanna hear any of the well KP is only the teams 3rd best player, he's still a starter. You didn't say that, someone else did.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No it's not part of the story. Injuries happen year in and year out. Even the Celtics weren't 100%. And I don't wanna hear any of the well KP is only the teams 3rd best player, he's still a starter. You didn't say that, someone else did.

Yes, it is part of the story because it's what happened. We don't pretend that what happened didn't happen because Celtics fans don't like it.

And you're going to hear KP was only the 3rd best player because he is only their 3rd best player. It's easier to overcome losing your 3rd best player than overcoming losing your best player. Or do you honestly think the Celtics roll through the playoffs if they're missing Tatum or Brown instead of KP?

The only people who will want to "ding" the Celtics will be the same smooth brains who try to discount the Lakers 2020 title because it was won in the bubble. No one takes those people seriously because they're retards.

Said what? That they get dinged? Because I'm pretty sure I said the opposite.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is part of the story because it's what happened. We don't pretend that what happened didn't happen because Celtics fans don't like it.

And you're going to hear KP was only the 3rd best player because he is only their 3rd best player. It's easier to overcome losing your 3rd best player than overcoming losing your best player. Or do you honestly think the Celtics roll through the playoffs if they're missing Tatum or Brown instead of KP?

The only people who will want to "ding" the Celtics will be the same smooth brains who try to discount the Lakers 2020 title because it was won in the bubble. No one takes those people seriously because they're retards.

Said what? That they get dinged? Because I'm pretty sure I said the opposite.

"because Celtics fans don't like it"

Says the Lakers fan.

Don't care if PK is only the teams 3rd best player. He was still injured. And the Celtics took care of business anyway.

So let me get this straight. Mentioning that KP wasn't 100% is invalid but mentioning the path the Celtics took to the title because teams were dealing with injuries is a valid thing to mention? If so that doesn't make sense. Injuries are injuries. Especially when talking about a starter.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy title # 18. We aren't going to agree on this topic. One more that Los Angeles! :heh:

:markmay:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"because Celtics fans don't like it"

Says the Lakers fan.

Don't care if PK is only the teams 3rd best player. He was still injured. And the Celtics took care of business anyway.

So let me get this straight. Mentioning that KP wasn't 100% is invalid but mentioning the path the Celtics took to the title because teams were dealing with injuries is a valid thing to mention? If so that doesn't make sense. Injuries are injuries. Especially when talking about a starter.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy title # 18. We aren't going to agree on this topic. One more that Los Angeles! :heh:

:markmay:

Go back, re-read my comments and reply to what I actually wrote.

How are you going to enjoy that title with your panties all twisted like that?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a point-of-order, it's not even clear that KP is the Celtics 3rd best player... arguably either Holiday or White (or both) are more valuable.

Therefore... maybe he's our #5?!

That's how good this Celtics roster is.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah between 1947 and 1979 the Celtics won 13 out of 33 titles lol

Heck between 1957 and 1976 they won 13 out of 20

Anything before 1976 IMO is pretty irrelevant.

A total of 14 teams isnt a pro sports league. It's a YMCA league.

It's why you will never see me list Wilt all that high on any all time list. He literally played against 7 or 8 other centers most of his career. There were multiple top 10 centers in the league at that time that were naturally bench players because that is how few teams there were in the league.

Once they got over 20 teams in the league we can finally start calling it a true pro sports league. Same damn reason why the NFL really only counts titles from after the time they created the Super Bowl.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a point-of-order, it's not even clear that KP is the Celtics 3rd best player... arguably either Holiday or White (or both) are more valuable.

Therefore... maybe he's our #5?!

That's how good this Celtics roster is.

If any team other than the Mavs come out of the West, you would be singing a different tune on just how important KP is to the Celtics.

The Celts really got lucky that Denver didnt advance and have to face them with their lack of depth in the front court.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any team other than the Mavs come out of the West, you would be singing a different tune on just how important KP is to the Celtics.

The Celts really got lucky that Denver didnt advance and have to face them with their lack of depth in the front court.
Maybe.

That's a 2 way street, though... any team out West would have had their hands full with Celtics... especially if the Celtics were at full health.

Anywho... I didn't mean that post as a shot at KP... it's just that Holiday and White are really valuable players too.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything before 1976 IMO is pretty irrelevant.

A total of 14 teams isnt a pro sports league. It's a YMCA league.

It's why you will never see me list Wilt all that high on any all time list. He literally played against 7 or 8 other centers most of his career. There were multiple top 10 centers in the league at that time that were naturally bench players because that is how few teams there were in the league.

Once they got over 20 teams in the league we can finally start calling it a true pro sports league. Same damn reason why the NFL really only counts titles from after the time they created the Super Bowl.
Do you not 'count' World Series titles from when there were only 16 teams in the whole sport (8 AL 8 NL)? Everything before 1961 doesn't count, Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Ty Cobb, all meaningless?