• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Amazon acquires NBA Media Rights, NBA still shopping other parts of deal

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted in the general NBA thread but this is significant enough news to warrant its own thread. How we've watched the NBA for decades is about to change.

So Amazon is going to get a significant chunk of regular season games, some playoff games and it sounds like a conference finals. ESPN is still going to have the Finals and will have some regular season games as well, sounds like basically the same deal they've had for years. That leaves Turner Sports and NBC competing for what's believed to be the final part of the deal. Most going into this believed the NBA was going to break their rights up between three partners with a streamer being one of them (Amazon has won out). If they still stick to three, there's a chance Turner might be left out. It'd be a damn shame to lose the TNT Crew.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is that Bally won’t be a piece of the puzzle. That alone makes this a positive move for me.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be one of the few who wishes everything sports went A la carte and I could drop "cable" altogether.

I only have Hulu live (I dropped direct tv) because of sports

It does make switching from one game to another difficult when you go from Amazon to Hulu though

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TNT loses the rights....FUCK

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some details about the Amazon deal

On Monday, Puck’s John Ourand published an update on the NBA’s ongoing negotiations, which included new details regarding Amazon’s piece of the pie. According to Ourand, it is “likely” that the streamer will have a Saturday night window during the regular season, the league’s In-Season Tournament and postseason play-in games, as well as some first and second-round playoff matchups and one conference finals every other year.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is that Bally won’t be a piece of the puzzle. That alone makes this a positive move for mesome of the Pistons
Bally let Amazon stream some of the Pistons games at the end of the season since, really, who was going to pay for that crap that hadn't already been suckered out of their money. I tried to watch a couple, but they had a blackout region which I was in, like they think I'm paying for that awful product live. So I think I will still have no luck, maybe even less luck if I'm blacked out because I could at least pay for it before. Questionable streaming works until the Pistons can get a product on the floor that is worth financially supporting.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bally let Amazon stream some of the Pistons games at the end of the season since, really, who was going to pay for that crap that hadn't already been suckered out of their money. I tried to watch a couple, but they had a blackout region which I was in, like they think I'm paying for that awful product live. So I think I will still have no luck, maybe even less luck if I'm blacked out because I could at least pay for it before. Questionable streaming works until the Pistons can get a product on the floor that is worth financially supporting.
Yeah Bally Sports is finished, bankrupt. Amazon is going to take over the Thunder games locally.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bally Sports is finished, bankrupt. Amazon is going to take over the Thunder games locally.
I don't have a problem with Amazon, per se. But if they black me out so i can't get it regardless it's a total dick move.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m waiting to see how Cuban proceeds. He put 10 games on one of the OTA channels in Dallas after the All Star Break which would be cool except I’m a little out of range for the Dallas channels up here at the border. The OTA channels here did broadcast the games via an agreement but I’m curious as to the going forward plan for both the Mavs & Stars. Getting the sense that MLB may do something with the Rangers where I can just purchase a package and if that’s the direction the Mavs & Stars go then I’m cool with it.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the days that I lived in San Diego and the Lakers games were all on a broadcast channel (through basic cable).