• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Rams Trade for Philips Rivers?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the salary is big but he is an elite quarterback so They get paid. You have to think next year Foles is going to get at least 8 million a year and that's probably conservative if he has a decent year. Money wise no it's not a good deal this year. Unless of course we win the super bowl....

Money wise it's an IMPOSSIBLE deal.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money wise it's an IMPOSSIBLE deal.

They could find a way if they wanted to shop. Restructure Quinn and give him a big signing bonus this year maybe. Or trade C. Long that would make the cap space plus add a 3rd or 4th round pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could find a way if they wanted to shop. Restructure Quinn and give him a big signing bonus this year maybe. Or trade C. Long that would make the cap space plus add a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Long's base salary is only $7M next year, not sure how much of his roster bonus and restructuring bonus can be moved. Rivers is just not coming to the Rams, plain and simple.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would offer them Foles and swap first-round picks so we would pick 17 instead of 10. I think that's a better deal for them then just getting Mariota at 2. Plus Madiota is a unknown. They know Foles can play. It's just a pipe dream because Rivers isn't going to want to come to St. Louis I understand that. And unless he would sign an extension with us it certainly wouldnt be worth doing for one year. But make no mistake if there is a way we can get him they need to make it happen!! Don't sell us short SJ our D is plenty good and with a vet and leader like him on offense we could be in the super bowl. If Trent dilfer did it... Rivers is 10x better.

So, now SD would take Foles because they know "he can play" , you just said it! So, why not just have him play for us, duh!
As SJ and others have said, why go with Rivers, the odds of us going to the SB in the next 2 years is not that great, but I guess the Vegas oddsmakers would say otherwise if we had Rivers? Come on Coug, what do you think the oddsmakers have as SD going to the SB this year with Rivers, ya that's what I thought, not all that great!

Rivers is not going to throw for over 4,000 yards for the Rams, he is not going to put up 35-40 TD passes,
if we got Rivers he would put up 20-30 TD passes, 3,500 -4,000 yards passing, something we will get with Foles as our QB!

What part of this aren't you getting, we don't have a Gates at TE, we don't have a stud young WR like Allen, we haven't had 2 6'5" WR like Jackson and Floyd, we don't have 2 RB's like Tomlinson and Sprouls. Rivers has always had weapons surrounding him!

As I said we will win with our defense, and a good running game! All we need is someone like Foles to be there if we need him to be.

As SJ has said, we have a young QB with some talent now, let's ride with him, we don't need a older QB
that might put up about the same numbers and have to pay him a butt load of money, we would be right back to the Sammie situation, strapped because our QB makes to much money with nothing to show for
it!

There probably are at least 10 QB's I would take over Rivers right now, so I don't know about your "top 5" assessment of Rivers! He's kind of like Brees right now and I wouldnt take him now either!

Last edited:

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wth it makes no sense to say Rivers isn't making his WR's better if he's getting them the ball and putting up big numbers he's doing his job. It starts with the QB he has to get it to them. So he has talent around him so what? He is still an elite QB in this league. We all looked at the schedule when it came out and agreed 7 or 8 wins will be tough this year. I think if we had Rivers their isn't a game on there that scares me anymore. I wouldn't give up a ton but I would do it for Foles and a 3rd this year and a first next year. Which should be a late first pick with a good season. Does Anyone think we don't make the playoffs with Rivers as our QB? The Chargers may laugh at that offer though.

Ok Coug, click your heels three times and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home" come back to earth Coug, we miss you!

Really we win maybe 7-9 games this year, but with Rivers no one on our schedule scares you, so we have a chance of going 16-0 with your boy Rivers? WOW, the Sammie love to Rivers love was a pretty smooth transition for you!

This is all pretty irrelevant anyway Coug, Rivers is not coming here, THANK GOD!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, now SD would take Foles because they know "he can play" , you just said it! So, why not just have him play for us, duh!
As SJ and others have said, why go with Rivers, the odds of us going to the SB in the next 2 years is not that great, but I guess the Vegas oddsmakers would say otherwise if we had Rivers? Come on Coug, what do you think the oddsmakers have as SD going to the SB this year with Rivers, ya that's what I thought, not all that great!

Rivers is not going to throw for over 4,000 yards for the Rams, he is not going to put up 35-40 TD passes,
if we got Rivers he would put up 20-30 TD passes, 3,500 -4,000 yards passing, something we will get with Foles as our QB!

What part of this aren't you getting, we don't have a Gates at TE, we don't have a stud young WR like Allen, we haven't had 2 6'5" WR like Jackson and Floyd, we don't have 2 RB's like Tomlinson and Sprouls. Rivers has always had weapons surrounding him!

As I said we will win with our defense, and a good running game! All we need is someone like Foles to be there if we need him to be.

As SJ has said, we have a young QB with some talent now, let's ride with him, we don't need a older QB
that might put up about the same numbers and have to pay him a butt load of money, we would be right back to the Sammie situation, strapped because our QB makes to much money with nothing to show for
it!

There probably are at least 10 QB's I would take over Rivers right now, so I don't know about your "top 5" assessment of Rivers! He's kind of like Brees right now and I wouldnt take him now either!

When I say "he can play"I meant Foles has actually played in the NFL. Unlike Mariota. NFL teams like that because you never know if a guy you are drafting will be any good it's a gamble. Like Rg3. That's the main reason why Bradfords value was so high. Your quarterback ratings don't hold much water. you would probably take Austin Davis over Rivers. I guarantee you Rivers would make Cook, Kenny Britt, Austin etc look real good. I don't get your logic... Rivers won't do well here but Foles will?? Yes I said many times the chances of him coming here are slim to none but the fact that you guys don't want him here just blows my mind.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Coug, click your heels three times and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home" come back to earth Coug, we miss you!

Really we win maybe 7-9 games this year, but with Rivers no one on our schedule scares you, so we have a chance of going 16-0 with your boy Rivers? WOW, the Sammie love to Rivers love was a pretty smooth transition for you!

This is all pretty irrelevant anyway Coug, Rivers is not coming here, THANK GOD!

I didn't say 16-0. But yes with an All-Pro quarterback like Rivers there's no reason why we shouldn't be in every game and expect to win. We couldn't say that with Sam and we can't say that with Foles.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers has won plenty. I am so sick of people saying shit like "hasnt won a damn thing", simply because that player may not have a superbowl ring. Give me a fucking break, football's the ultimate team game. There are 22 men on the field at any given time, and it takes a special blend of talent, chemistry, hunger and leadership to get to the top of the NFL mountain. I would DEFINITELY take rivers over fole, i'd be a dumbass NOT to. Rivers is 33, and assuming he doesnt suffer any major injuries, he has at LEAST 3, if not 4, strong seasons left. He brings out the best in his teammates that most qb's (even good ones), cant do on a regular basis. Given that the dude is rarely hurt, and that he has that "warrior" disposition, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Carry on
Careful Ojb81 you are not on your team boards and insinuating those that don't agree with you here are a 'dumbass' will not be tolerated here on the Rams boards from outsiders.

If you would like to discuss this, PM me.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful Ojb81 you are not on your team boards and insinuating those that don't agree with you here are a 'dumbass' will not be tolerated here on the Rams boards from outsiders.

If you would like to discuss this, PM me.

I'm not PM'ing anyone, about anything, thanks. If saying "I'd be a dumbass not to" is grounds for actually booting someone from your team board, thats pretty pathetic

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say "he can play"I meant Foles has actually played in the NFL. Unlike Mariota. NFL teams like that because you never know if a guy you are drafting will be any good it's a gamble. Like Rg3. That's the main reason why Bradfords value was so high. Your quarterback ratings don't hold much water. you would probably take Austin Davis over Rivers. I guarantee you Rivers would make Cook, Kenny Britt, Austin etc look real good. I don't get your logic... Rivers won't do well here but Foles will?? Yes I said many times the chances of him coming here are slim to none but the fact that you guys don't want him here just blows my mind.

And there you go again. Didn't say Rivers wouldn't do well here, just saying he isn't going to do that much more than Foles will.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say 16-0. But yes with an All-Pro quarterback like Rivers there's no reason why we shouldn't be in every game and expect to win. We couldn't say that with Sam and we can't say that with Foles.

"Former" All-Pro QB, so you are still saying we have a chance to go 16-0 with Rivers? I agree, we couldn't say that with Sam, but why can't we say that with Foles this year? The part you aren't getting is, that we should be in every game this year because of our defense, if we successfully run the ball we should be in every game this year. Now if Foles can just just play decent we should be in every game this year. The only problem that might arise is if our oline isn't any better than it was at year, and Rivers will not help that!

As far a you not getting why everyone doesn't want him, shouldn't that tell you something, or are you the only one thats right yet again!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not PM'ing anyone, about anything, thanks. If saying "I'd be a dumbass not to" is grounds for actually booting someone from your team board, thats pretty pathetic

If I were you Ojb81, I'd take Vitamike's advice.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were you Ojb81, I'd take Vitamike's advice.
My advice was ...

'Be careful'

Not bad advice really:
Regarding a perception of name calling?​

Simple rule:
Attack the post, not the poster.​

The message of ...

'You're a dumbass if you don't think like me'

... is borderline at best.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not pathetic, it's the way it is! Don't need you or anyone else coming on our board more or less calling me a dumbass just because we don't agree with "your" view of Rivers. I think most in here know more about what we need or don't need as far as "our" team is concerned then you do! We don't need Rivers, and he would not improve our chances of winning more games over Foles!

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not pathetic, it's the way it is! Don't need you or anyone else coming on our board more or less calling me a dumbass just because we don't agree with "your" view of Rivers. I think most in here know more about what we need or don't need as far as "our" team is concerned then you do! We don't need Rivers, and he would not improve our chances of winning more games over Foles!

Dontchoo worry your little head, Rivers is gonna lead your Rams to a lot of wins

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My advice was ...

'Be careful'

Not bad advice really:
Regarding a perception of name calling?​

Simple rule:
Attack the post, not the poster.​

The message of ...

'You're a dumbass if you don't think like me'

... is borderline at best.

Gulp. Okay bro, its cool its cool

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is how you guys are going to run your board, this will be my last post on this board. I have nothing against anyone here but I am a little dismayed about how you regulate conversations. In my opinion, it's a little over the top.

See you guys around.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what we might need to have is a few different more specific sticky threads where negativity is allowed. For example, we could have one for roster issues, one for draft issues, one for season talk, one for trade talk, one for misc. issues, etc...I think you know what I mean.
Issues like this could be hashed out in the trade talk thread where anyone could say whatever they wanted. Just an idea, but I think it would help with alot of the problems people are having.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is how you guys are going to run your board, this will be my last post on this board. I have nothing against anyone here but I am a little dismayed about how you regulate conversations. In my opinion, it's a little over the top.

See you guys around.
@Davis_Mike - I do understand your concern however team boards are set up as sanctuary's from convo's that are fair game on the general boards.

Sometimes simple figures of speech can be misunderstood, hence the 'Careful' advise....

Unfortunately, at times statements like these are with malice and require expectations that must be set.

IMO if all is innocent, as it seems to be, than of course it is no big deal & ends up being nothing more than caution.

If not, than there is an inherent respect for another's team boards that needs to be acknowledged. A respect that most Ram fans here would show on the Cards boards and from what I know, as you have always here.

Again, attack the post and not the poster is a good general rule.

Do you really disagree with this?

Last edited: