• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Rams Trade for Philips Rivers?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same reason Denver got Manning. To win now our team is ready now, But Rivers is way stronger then Manning at this point. Sorry but Foles has proved nothing yet one good season one bad. Rivers is only 33 and is a top 5 QB in the League. If you want to compare Foles to someone Bradford is a much better comparison this far in their careers. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation with Rivers. No love it's just a fact. I would say the same thing about sam.

From an outside viewpoint...River to STL makes sense short term...with him, I think it's a 10 win team on the low side.

The pause I would have is the cost....PM to DEN was a FA signing. Is Rivers still worth a 1st rd pk? idk, probably 2, maybe more peak yrs before you see a noticeable decline....2nd rd definitely.

Foles...imo he's a younger Brian Hoyer...has an NFL skillset, effective with great talent around him, will win more than he loses with Rams talent, but ceiling may not be high enough to win a SB.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an outside viewpoint...River to STL makes sense short term...with him, I think it's a 10 win team on the low side.

The pause I would have is the cost....PM to DEN was a FA signing. Is Rivers still worth a 1st rd pk? idk, probably 2, maybe more peak yrs before you see a noticeable decline....2nd rd definitely.

Foles...imo he's a younger Brian Hoyer...has an NFL skillset, effective with great talent around him, will win more than he loses with Rams talent, but ceiling may not be high enough to win a SB.

I would agree. And the money is the whole issue, not to mention Foles is on a 1 year deal making 1.45/year? I think the Rams are ready to play pound on the ground and play tight D, letting the QB play game manager. And I am all for it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree. And the money is the whole issue, not to mention Foles is on a 1 year deal making 1.45/year? I think the Rams are ready to play pound on the ground and play tight D, letting the QB play game manager. And I am all for it.

After paying Bradford a small fortune to sit and watch games, I guess I can't blame STL...I think you must mix some playaction pass in there for ground n pound to work, (in the playoffs especially) but I like that style of football.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching NFL network right now and all the so called experts are saying that Tenn should be trying to get a deal done for Rivers. Because he gives them the best option to win now. Hmmm

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans have the cap space to absorb his contract. Plus, he grew up there, so you know he would be willing to raise his family there. Completely different scenario.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes he is worth a 1st rd pick easy!! the Browns offered a 1st for Bradford. Rivers had a big year last year he's only 33. PM is 39 thats a big difference. the biggest problem is Rivers most likely won't sign a long term deal unless he really wants to go to that team. he will be a FA next year and will get mega bucks.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans have the cap space to absorb his contract. Plus, he grew up there, so you know he would be willing to raise his family there. Completely different scenario.

I get it shop but most are saying they don't want him period because we have Foles? or he's to old. I don't get that. Chargers won't trade him anyway.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it shop but most are saying they don't want him period because we have Foles? or he's to old. I don't get that. Chargers won't trade him anyway.

If the Chargers have their minds set on moving to LA, they almost have to trade him. He won't resign next summer if they're in LA.

Of course Rivers is an improvement over Foles, but with cap space tight, you have to look at the relative value of that improvement. If the Rams are looking to ground and pound, that improvement isn't necessarily worth the investment. Of course, all things considered, Rivers is unlikely to re-sign with the Rams either, so the discussion is largely fantasy anyway.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I would love to have my college QB as a Ram; River's still has some good years left in him at 33. I don't believe he is on the decline. Hell if having a 93.0 QB rating is on the decline then I'll definitely take that, sad to say he won't be a ram though as I'm not sure he fits the game manager type. I agree with previous posts as in he's a gun slinger (reminds me of Favre a bit), he has passion and above all remained pretty healthy throughout his career. I can recall him playing on a partially torn ACL in the 07 AFC championship game and to me that shows guts. In my honest opinion he is hands down better than Foles at 33, however Foles is our guy and that's who we gotta rock with.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how Foles and Rivers do. Remember, Foles led the NFL in QB rating in 2013-2014 with 27 TDs and 2 INTs and a 119 QB rating better than Manning and Rivers. So if you are going off that.. let's see who does more this coming year.

Foles at 1.45 million
Rivers at 16 million?

Let's see how much of a difference there is between the 2 in 2015-2016. If their production is fairly close, it's a no brainer because their salaries are not close.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I would love to have my college QB as a Ram; River's still has some good years left in him at 33. I don't believe he is on the decline. Hell if having a 93.0 QB rating is on the decline then I'll definitely take that, sad to say he won't be a ram though as I'm not sure he fits the game manager type. I agree with previous posts as in he's a gun slinger (reminds me of Favre a bit), he has passion and above all remained pretty healthy throughout his career. I can recall him playing on a partially torn ACL in the 07 AFC championship game and to me that shows guts. In my honest opinion he is hands down better than Foles at 33, however Foles is our guy and that's who we gotta rock with.
Hey Jermaine!

Good to see you brother!

Have you been out this way lately?

Oh yeah and to the bold, I agree!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug, again I don't even know why you started this post, it's all irrelevant! You might as well said, hey why don't we get Brady or Rodgers?

You don't get why we don't want him and I dont get why you can't see that we are going to win with defense and running the ball. Rivers wouldn't be putting up the numbers he did with San Diego, if he was with the Rams. That's the point! It's not like Foles is going to put up huge numbers either, we aren't going to be throwing the ball all over the place, so Foles is the better option, younger, cheaper and will put up similar numbers in "our" offense!

You're getting borderline Sammie with this nonsense!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug, again I don't even know why you started this post, it's all irrelevant! You might as well said, hey why don't we get Brady or Rodgers?

You don't get why we don't want him and I dont get why you can't see that we are going to win with defense and running the ball. Rivers wouldn't be putting up the numbers he did with San Diego, if he was with the Rams. That's the point! It's not like Foles is going to put up huge numbers either, we aren't going to be throwing the ball all over the place, so Foles is the better option, younger, cheaper and will put up similar numbers in "our" offense!

You're getting borderline Sammie with this nonsense!

The point of the post was because Rivers was rumored to be available which doesn't happen very often with elite quarterbacks in the NFL. and we happen to have Foles who they might want because they will want a QB in return. First of all we have a new offense of coordinator so you don't know what kind of offense he's going to want to run. Second I don't agree if we had rivers that he wouldn't put up big numbers like he did San Diego? Why not? I guess you think Brady or Rogers wouldn't put up big numbers here either? Because he's right there in that group of quarterbacks. We have plenty of weapons for him. Ground and pound is fine but you're going to have to throw the ball sometime you can't win in the playoffs just running the ball it's a throwing leauge now. I'm not sure why you guys have settled on a game manager type QB? That's fine if that's all you have but Why settle for that when you could have an elite guy in this scenario. I'll take the Brett Favre type any day.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This "scenario" is far removed from reality. Rivers may be available to Tennessee, but he is not available to St. Louis.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this still a thread? Rivers to the Rams is, IMO, a silly idea.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This "scenario" is far removed from reality. Rivers may be available to Tennessee, but he is not available to St. Louis.

I actually think as far as a trade option for the Chargers the Rams have the most to offer them over Tenn & the Browns.

1. A QB with NFL experience in Foles.
2. The 10th pick in the draft.
Tenn can give them the 2nd pick for MM. But Foles and the 10th pick is a better deal imo unless they just love MM.

The Browns have two first rd picks but no QB to offer in return so I can't see the Chargers being interested in that.

Look I dont think the Chargers are going to let him get away but it's fun looking at the possibilities.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think as far as a trade option for the Chargers the Rams have the most to offer them over Tenn & the Browns.

1. A QB with NFL experience in Foles.
2. The 10th pick in the draft.
Tenn can give them the 2nd pick for MM. But Foles and the 10th pick is a better deal imo unless they just love MM.

The Browns have two first rd picks but no QB to offer in return so I can't see the Chargers being interested in that.

Look I dont think the Chargers are going to let him get away but it's fun looking at the possibilities.

He won't re-sign with the Rams, plain and simple.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, even in your concession with this whole idea of trading Rivers to the Rams, I disagree with you.

Dealing him now is probably in the Chargers best interest. I don't see them re-signing him to what he can fetch on the open market. So trading him now, if they can, is probably in their best interest.

I just don't see them getting it done.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, even in your concession with this whole idea of trading Rivers to the Rams, I disagree with you.

Dealing him now is probably in the Chargers best interest. I don't see them re-signing him to what he can fetch on the open market. So trading him now, if they can, is probably in their best interest.

I just don't see them getting it done.

The Chargers won't let him go unless he has really said he doesn't want to play for them anymore. I agree it would be very hard. Tenn will want rivers to sign an extension for at least 4 years and to get Rivers and his agent to agree on a price before the draft would be hard.