• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Rams Trade for Philips Rivers?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers won't let him go unless he has really said he doesn't want to play for them anymore. I agree it would be very hard. Tenn will want rivers to sign an extension for at least 4 years and to get Rivers and his agent to agree on a price before the draft would be hard.
Rivers is a free agent next year. It wont be the Chargers choice of 'letting him go' unless they franchise tag him which would be very costly for a one year tenure (+ $19M)

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers is a free agent next year. It wont be the Chargers choice of 'letting him go' unless they franchise tag him which would be very costly for a one year tenure (+ $19M)

I meant this year. The Chargers have said they don't want to trade him. It would be a last resort to trade him. If he has his typical year they will gladly pay him 19m. Can't replace him

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think as far as a trade option for the Chargers the Rams have the most to offer them over Tenn & the Browns.

1. A QB with NFL experience in Foles.
2. The 10th pick in the draft.
Tenn can give them the 2nd pick for MM. But Foles and the 10th pick is a better deal imo unless they just love MM.

The Browns have two first rd picks but no QB to offer in return so I can't see the Chargers being interested in that.

Look I dont think the Chargers are going to let him get away but it's fun looking at the possibilities.

Why in the world would we give up a starting caliber QB AND our number 1 draft pick for a older QB. And Coug just because we have a new OC, do you really think Fisher wants to throw the ball all over the place? Yes we do have "capable" skill position players, but they still aren't as good as what Rivers had with SD. Our oline still isn't fixed, and Rivers isn't the most mobile guy back there!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would we give up a starting caliber QB AND our number 1 draft pick for a older QB. And Coug just because we have a new OC, do you really think Fisher wants to throw the ball all over the place? Yes we do have "capable" skill position players, but they still aren't as good as what Rivers had with SD. Our oline still isn't fixed, and Rivers isn't the most mobile guy back there!

Umm let's see because he is a proven top 5 QB? Has 37,000 yds 252 TD's 65 completion % 96 career QB rating? Gee I don't know why you would want this guy. :L You act like he's a dinosaur. He Most likely will be in the HOF when it's done. He's showed no signs of slowing down and I would be happy with him for the next 5 years. We would swap first rd picks so we would still be picking 17th where we could still get an Olinemen probably C.Erving.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant this year. The Chargers have said they don't want to trade him. It would be a last resort to trade him. If he has his typical year they will gladly pay him 19m. Can't replace him

Not if they're intending to move to LA. If so, Rivers isn't re-signing with the Chargers. I doubt they want to lose Rivers for basically nothing. If they don't trade him, that basically calls B.S. on their LA intentions.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm let's see because he is a proven top 5 QB? Has 37,000 yds 252 TD's 65 completion % 96 career QB rating? Gee I don't know why you would want this guy. :L You act like he's a dinosaur. He Most likely will be in the HOF when it's done. He's showed no signs of slowing down and I would be happy with him for the next 5 years. We would swap first rd picks so we would still be picking 17th where we could still get an Olinemen probably C.Erving.

There's no way the Rams would get Rivers for just swapping 1sts and Foles. Besides, once again you are leaving out the cap casualties that would have to be jettisoned to clear space for Rivers' contract. Is Rivers worth a #1 pick, a starting QB, Chris Long and others, all for a 1 year rental?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if they're intending to move to LA. If so, Rivers isn't re-signing with the Chargers. I doubt they want to lose Rivers for basically nothing. If they don't trade him, that basically calls B.S. on their LA intentions.

The problem is they don't know if they will end up in LA at this moment. So I think they have to hope for the best and work it out with him when the time comes.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams won't trade for Rivers for a number of reasons, one year rental, cap space, age, uncertain future team location, Foles in place among others. The Rams will go with Foles this year + the two other QBs on the roster and probably draft a guy for the practice squad. Rivers will not be playing for the Rams.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way the Rams would get Rivers for just swapping 1sts and Foles. Besides, once again you are leaving out the cap casualties that would have to be jettisoned to clear space for Rivers' contract. Is Rivers worth a #1 pick, a starting QB, Chris Long and others, all for a 1 year rental?

Not for a one year rental no. I would if he signed a 3-4 year extension with us in a heartbeat though. Your really not losing a first just moving back and you are getting a better QB in return. Long most likly will be gone next year anyway. I would see if they wanted Long and the contracts would almost offset. Im seeing Long as a 12.5m cap hit this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes he is worth a 1st rd pick easy!! the Browns offered a 1st for Bradford. Rivers had a big year last year he's only 33. PM is 39 thats a big difference. the biggest problem is Rivers most likely won't sign a long term deal unless he really wants to go to that team. he will be a FA next year and will get mega bucks.

Your 2 comments in bold kind of contradict don't you think...yes, talentwise @ 33 maybe Rivers is still worth a 1st rd pick, but if he won't extend...he's not.

Rivers to TN makes sense for the Titans, but imo they're more than a QB away from really being a playoff caliber team. Does he want to be on a 7-9 to 9-7 team for the next 3 or 4 years...if so, I'd stay in the ideal climate of SD if I were him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Rivers trade talk carries about as much validity as the talk of trading Brockers to Chicago for the 7th pick. A lot of fantasy embedded in garbage.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for a one year rental no. I would if he signed a 3-4 year extension with us in a heartbeat though. Your really not losing a first just moving back and you are getting a better QB in return. Long most likly will be gone next year anyway. I would see if they wanted Long and the contracts would almost offset. Im seeing Long as a 12.5m cap hit this year.

He's not going to sign a 3-4 year extension with the Rams, who will either end up in LA or stay in STL. We know Rivers doesn't want to raise his family in LA, and I doubt Ferguson has him considering STL either.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your 2 comments in bold kind of contradict don't you think...yes, talentwise @ 33 maybe Rivers is still worth a 1st rd pick, but if he won't extend...he's not.

Rivers to TN makes sense for the Titans, but imo they're more than a QB away from really being a playoff caliber team. Does he want to be on a 7-9 to 9-7 team for the next 3 or 4 years...if so, I'd stay in the ideal climate of SD if I were him.

I'm not sure what you mean. He will be a FA next year so unless he would sign a long term deal with us it wouldn't make sense to give up a lot for only one year. I agree you would have to be nuts to leave the climate of SD.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to sign a 3-4 year extension with the Rams, who will either end up in LA or stay in STL. We know Rivers doesn't want to raise his family in LA, and I doubt Ferguson has him considering STL either.

I doubt he would be staying in Ferguson or even ever see it for that matter. I'm sure Sam would give him a good deal on a house. :D

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Rivers trade talk carries about as much validity as the talk of trading Brockers to Chicago for the 7th pick. A lot of fantasy embedded in garbage.

Well maybe a little more lol. Another report just came out today saying the Mariota camp believes the Chargers and Eagles are interested.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you mean. He will be a FA next year so unless he would sign a long term deal with us it wouldn't make sense to give up a lot for only one year. I agree you would have to be nuts to leave the climate of SD.

We're on the same page...unless he's willing to extend...he's not worth a 1st round pick.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Jermaine!

Good to see you brother!

Have you been out this way lately?

Oh yeah and to the bold, I agree!

Hey Vita, I miss the boards man; been MIA for a lil bit on vacation. Haven't been out west lately, just on the other side of the world in Europe. Just ready for the draft.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Rivers' statement about the move to LA. It's about an hour and a half drive so his family could live in San Diego County and could still play in LA.

I think his statement about possible destination has more to do with his future and those impending negotiations.