• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Rams Trade for Philips Rivers?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles is like Rivers? How can you say that. Rivers has put up crazy stats for over 10 years. A couple more good years and if he can get a super bowl win he probably is in the HOF some day. Foles has a ways to go.

Coug.. Foles is in year 3? Rivers is old. Foles and Rivers have similar arms, about the same height, etc, etc.

Why would you trade for an older QB, when you already have a younger QB that is fairly similar?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coug.. Foles is in year 3? Rivers is old. Foles and Rivers have similar arms, about the same height, etc, etc.

Why would you trade for an older QB, when you already have a younger QB that is fairly similar?

The same reason Denver got Manning. To win now our team is ready now, But Rivers is way stronger then Manning at this point. Sorry but Foles has proved nothing yet one good season one bad. Rivers is only 33 and is a top 5 QB in the League. If you want to compare Foles to someone Bradford is a much better comparison this far in their careers. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation with Rivers. No love it's just a fact. I would say the same thing about sam.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again Coug, Rivers has never been to the SB, but he is going to take us to the promised land twice in the next 4 years. He has had more talent with SD than he would with us! Is Rivers Yiur new Sammie, GOD I hope not,

Well I would say if Rivers was our QB we would have a 70% chance on winning a Super Bowl in the next few years. What would you put the percentage with Foles? 20%? I like the 70% better that's all.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, gee thanks for the insightful fact, at least he's been to one!
You are right other than one of the greatest TE's ever he hasn't had much to work with!!
Tomlinson= slug
V. Jackson=slouch
K. Allen=bust
M. Flyod= nobody
D. Sprouls= wanna be

If I was the Rams I would love to have had either Jackson or Floyd to throw to, both 6'5" and better than anything we have had for years. Allen, Take him in a heart beat, Tomlinson or Sprouls running or catching passes out of the backfield, duh!

Ya, youre right, Rivers hasn't had a whole lot to work with, other than the two future HOFamers, or the hack receivers that he has had.
As far as the SD defense, they have been pretty decent, even better back when they had Seau!

You're not getting it Coug, we have Foles, while not as good as Rivers, he is good enough for us to win with, how much better would we be with Rivers? And you don't think we would have to give up more than a pick for him? He wouldn't make that big a difference, and he's kind of a whiney baby, no thank you!

I think it's funny how you change your tune. when Sam was here we had plenty of talent around him, it was his fault but now that he's gone we would love to have a guy like Vincent Jackson and Gates lol. Yeah I'm sure Sam would like that too. Rivers wouldn't make that big of a difference?? He's an elite quarterback. Did you ever think that maybe it was Rivers making those guys look pretty good too? The quarterback does have to get them the ball you know. Again I would be saying the same thing if Sam was our quarterback and we had a chance to get Rivers.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bad idea and most of this chatter has little basis in reality. Why would we trade for a QB who is nearing the end of his career, is often injured, and whines alot?
Exactly. Why trade away youth (Foles) to get an aging veteran (Rivers), just so that he could lead you to a few average seasons and then leave the team, leaving you QB-less.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Why trade away youth (Foles) to get an aging veteran (Rivers), just so that he could lead you to a few average seasons and then leave the team, leaving you QB-less.

This is coming from a Denver fan? (Manning) and Cards fan(Palmer) are you guys screwing with me lol. Actually you could draft a QB next year and let him sit for a few years behind Rivers. a perfect situation.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's funny how you change your tune. when Sam was here we had plenty of talent around him, it was his fault but now that he's gone we would love to have a guy like Vincent Jackson and Gates lol. Yeah I'm sure Sam would like that too. Rivers wouldn't make that big of a difference?? He's an elite quarterback. Did you ever think that maybe it was Rivers making those guys look pretty good too? The quarterback does have to get them the ball you know. Again I would be saying the same thing if Sam was our quarterback and we had a chance to get Rivers.

There you go again Coug, rambling, like always! No Sammie didn't have the best talent, and I never said he did, but as many have said good QB's make average receivers better.

As far as Rivers making his receivers better, that's questionable? Vincient and Floyd are both 6'5" that alone helped Rivers, and both have speed. Gates and Tomlinson both future HOFamers, Who wouldn't want Darren Sprouls as a 3rd down back. Rivers had a ton of talent around him, what aren't you seeing, again?

If the Rams go to the SB it will be mainly because of their defense, and running game, all we need right now is a decent QB and we have that in Foles, why give up draft picks or players for something we already have? And like I said before, Rivers is all of a sudden throwing sidearm a lot, maybe he's developing some health issues, I don't know what's up with that?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wth it makes no sense to say Rivers isn't making his WR's better if he's getting them the ball and putting up big numbers he's doing his job. It starts with the QB he has to get it to them. So he has talent around him so what? He is still an elite QB in this league. We all looked at the schedule when it came out and agreed 7 or 8 wins will be tough this year. I think if we had Rivers their isn't a game on there that scares me anymore. I wouldn't give up a ton but I would do it for Foles and a 3rd this year and a first next year. Which should be a late first pick with a good season. Does Anyone think we don't make the playoffs with Rivers as our QB? The Chargers may laugh at that offer though.

Last edited:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with Foles but to say you don't want Rivers if the opportunity was there is just kind of crazy in my opinion. He's just to good imo. And when our young WR's screw up you know he will be in their face telling them.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same reason Denver got Manning. To win now our team is ready now, But Rivers is way stronger then Manning at this point. Sorry but Foles has proved nothing yet one good season one bad. Rivers is only 33 and is a top 5 QB in the League. If you want to compare Foles to someone Bradford is a much better comparison this far in their careers. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation with Rivers. No love it's just a fact. I would say the same thing about sam.

We're not ready to win the super bowl. We haven't even been to the playoffs man. And sorry Coug, Rivers is not a big upgrade over Foles.

The FO is building something. Their young and just need to keep improving.

Coug at least you found a new QB!! ;)

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is coming from a Denver fan? (Manning) and Cards fan(Palmer) are you guys screwing with me lol. Actually you could draft a QB next year and let him sit for a few years behind Rivers. a perfect situation.

Hey, I am fans of the Broncos and Cardinals, but I don't like Carson Palmer. I like Manning, but I wish he would have just retired because the Broncos have lost their good window of opportunity and Manning is not the QB he was in the season that they got blown out by the Seahawks.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I agree FantasyBelowZero. Manning's days are numbered and I surmise there is a part of him that has yet to fully acknowledge that father time is dictating what he can and can't do going forward. Manning has stated that when he is injured more than he is playing and the game is no longer fun, he'll retire. Perhaps that time is arriving and Manning hasn't noticed.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me say this again, Rivers is 3x > Foles. You would be insane to pass on Rivers if he was available at a reasonable price. Foles had a great 10 game run in 2013 & now people think he has the potential to be as good as Rivers?

GTFO with this nonsense.

Rivers isn't the reason they haven't won a SB, the defense is the reason. Plus he had Norv Turner as his HC for most of his career. Norv is terrible HC.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Rivers at 35 is 3x better than Foles at 27?

I don't think so. Homie don't play dat

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Rivers at 35 is 3x better than Foles at 27?

I don't think so. Homie don't play dat

Do you mean 34 vs 27? And if you do, Rivers will still be 3x the QB Foles is.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy there Davis_Mike. Take a chill pill for a bit.

I am chilling. I just think the idea that anyone would take 3-4 years of Foles over 3-4 years of Rivers is ludicrous.

I get it, fans are homer who are prone to hyperbole, but sometimes it's a little too much.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here Have some cake. :drool:

I'm pretty sure neither have done jack sheet so I'll go ahead and take the 27 year old QB, not the 34-35 year QB about to be in his prime. :L

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here Have some cake.

I'm pretty sure neither have done jack shit so I'll go ahead and take the 27 year old QB, not the 34-35 year QB about to be in his prime. :L

I got it, you would take the mediocre QB in his prime over the 33 year old top 5 ish QB.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he's 33?

If he's 32 in a few more posts I'm in.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rivers' fire. But he throws plenty of bad picks and hasn't won a dam thing. At 31 I'm all in !! :)

I'll take Foles at 27. Yeah it's a no brainer