• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude! A win is a win... you must be the party at weddings.

Our defense is really bad right now. Do you have any illusions that this group will be able to do enough against a playoff team to make any waves in the playoffs - assuming we can survive Minnesota and/or Kansas City to even make it, as well as not dropping a game to Arizona or SF moving forward?

3 of the last 4 games the defense has allowed 450 or more yards, 5 times overall this season. That's the same number of times our defense gave that up from 2012-2017. 2010 is the last season the Seahawks have had at least 5 450 yards against games (6).

Yes, the team won - and yes, it goes into the win column - but had we played a team who did't field their 3rd string QB, their 3rd string RB and the 3rd and 4th WRs, how does that look? Or, do we just assume that Minnesota will turn the ball over twice in their red zone to help make the score look a little better.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude! A win is a win.

4 things:

1st) Hi @Shaggy

2) Exactly.

3) Didn't look pretty but we got the job done.

4) After beating a rival. I be walking like this tomorrow.

giphy.gif

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win, but man we gave up a lot of yards to the Niners, bend but don't break D I guess... Gotta contain better and not give up so much ... It's hard in the modern NFL, I get it... But we still gotta clean that up, play more aggressive.... At least they kept them from scoring a lot, that's the most important stat, BUT still makes me a little nervous going forward... Hopefully they can tighten that up ...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah - that's 413 yards given up to an undrafted 3rd string QB in his 4th career start. That's pathetic. Our defense just isn't close to what we used to be.
A work in progress. They had to replace a whole lot of players this season, so bound to be some growing pains.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A work in progress. They had to replace a whole lot of players this season, so bound to be some growing pains.

I didn't say they'd never be good - I said they aren't very good right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say they'd never be good - I said they aren't very good right now.
Yup and it is or should be understandable given the turn over in personal. Hopefully they make some progress as the rest of the season unfolds.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really see the change in many peoples mentality about football, just like the Game has turned into patty cakes so have many of the fans lol.

I will with out a doubt take this win, i am happy the got the first 40 burger of the season, They played a really bad team and got lucky to force turnovers or this game might look a lot different. Our Defense has been down right awful these past two weeks giving up a ton. 928 yards the last two weeks, 642 passing yards and 286 rushing. They have also gave up 50 first downs the last two weeks WOW.

this is regression, lets hope they snap out of it because this looks like the worst Defense in the NFL the last two weeks and statistically it is if you go off those numbers. Yep you better believe i'll take a win when the defense plays so poorly lol. I don't have to be happy about the defensive play though and NONE of you should be.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has needed another pass rusher all year.

I didn't pick them to challenge for a Superbowl this year. I picked them to challenge for a wildcard.

Given the re-tool of the D, and the YOUNG pieces that are in place, I'm good with what's happened this year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has needed another pass rusher all year.

I didn't pick them to challenge for a Superbowl this year. I picked them to challenge for a wildcard.

Given the re-tool of the D, and the YOUNG pieces that are in place, I'm good with what's happened this year.

I tell you what, if Kam was healthy and could play, and that also included Thomas and Avril i think this team would be more like 8-4 or 9-3. Those pieces would have been huge for the young guys on Defense, it's to bad that it all fell apart like it did with those guys.

Two weeks of flat out embarrassing play for the D with the Vikings coming to town in a prime time showdown. I expect the D to play with some attitude next week and a lot better. Lets hope they start showing a little pride back there and start fighting a little harder. You can't count on Turnovers to win games.

Last edited:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tell you what, if Kam was healthy and could play, and that also included Thomas and Avril i think this team would be more like 8-4 or 9-3. Those pieces would have been huge for the young guys on Defense, it's to bad that it all fell apart like it did with those guys.

Two weeks of flat out embarrassing play for the D with the Vikings coming to town in a prime time showdown. I expect the D to play with some attitude next week and a lot better. Lets hope they start showing a little pride back there and start fighting a little harder. You can't count on Turnovers to win games.

I just don't know if it's just the players making incorrect plays/reads - or if it's weaknesses in the scheme - or a combination of both. If it's players - then it's fixable eventually. If it's the coaching, then we could be in trouble.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this day, I don’t give a shit if we gave up 1000 yards......we won the game! Debate, whine, or whatever during the week about their shortcomings in a retool year. The Hawks sit in a playoff spot and we just killed a team that any actual good team is supposed to. Plus, seeing Sherman dejected on his sideline was the cherry on top! Great win!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Satisfying win for me. Faced an inferior team, and the result reflected it. Awfully tough to beat a team by 14 in the NFL, let alone nearly 30. The chunk plays were there through the air like I suspected they would be -- 185 yds and 4 TDs on only 17 attempts -- and we were able to top 150 and control the game on the ground.

I guess it was cool to see Pettis have a good performance, and thankfully it came when the game was no longer competitive.

Forgot Sherm was even on the field until Jaron Brown beat him for a TD.

I haven't seen any updates yet on Carson & Fluker, so hopefully they are both ok. That would be quite a hit to the run game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize it until just a moment ago (and it's probably already noted in here), but it was Malcolm Smith on the coverage for Lockett's long TD. That means both ex-Hawks got beat for scores. I like it.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the yardage, that was just the style of the game yesterday. Sometimes it's a gas pedal game, sometimes its a grind. Any win is a good win in the NFL!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know if it's just the players making incorrect plays/reads - or if it's weaknesses in the scheme - or a combination of both. If it's players - then it's fixable eventually. If it's the coaching, then we could be in trouble.

to be fair, ken norton was awful in Oakland, could it be his fault?

i think at this point the lack of talent is suspect #1, but im not ready to rule out coaching either.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the yardage, that was just the style of the game yesterday. Sometimes it's a gas pedal game, sometimes its a grind. Any win is a good win in the NFL!

I think that last long drive SF put together can be pegged as garbage time yards too. I think if this was a 3 point game the defense would have been playing a hell of a lot stiffer. But they were just running down the clock and trying to avoid injuries to some extent I think. I think we, as fans, get more hung up on yards, points, penalties, etc than we should. I think the coaches and players focus more on the W's and L's.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the 49ers had to scratch and claw just to get a FG before half time. 2 plays into the 3rd quarter, it was 27-3 and the game was pretty much non-competitive at that point. Up by 3 TDs in the 2nd half, the reality is you're going to see defenses more willing to give up some yards in exchange for time off the clock and a lesser chance of quick scores to get back in it.

Shoot, if you ask me I think it makes more sense to wonder why we had such a tough time beating GB 2 weeks ago after how they laid a turd at home yesterday to the Cards.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The amount of 20 yd plus plays we give up is alarming at this time... Seems like we give up 2-4 a game...

Last edited:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I can't tell you how few fucks I give that they gave up a bunch of garbage time yards in the second half. The game was over after the first possession of the third quarter.

Seattle's offense was efficient as hell, the D forced turnovers, and they won by 4 scores.

I get that people are worried about the defense. But look, we all knew this was not going to be the shut down D they had from 2012-2016. Leading the league in ppg for 4 straight years was insane. Top 3 for 5 straight years was too.

This is just a more "bend but don't break" style D. They're gonna give up some yards, but this is still a top 10 D in ypg and opponent redzone efficiency.

3 straight wins and they control their own destiny for the playoffs. I'll fucking take that considering I predicted 8-8 this year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of 20 yd plus plays we give up is alarming at this time... Seems like we give up 2-4 a game...

Explosive Plays (10 yard run/20 yard pass):

Denver - 3 runs 6 passes
Chicago - 1 run 0 passes
Dallas - 7 runs 0 passes
Arizona - 2 runs 4 passes
Los Angeles R - 5 runs 5 passes
Oakland - 3 runs 2 passes
Detroit - 0 runs 3 passes
Los Angeles C- 5 runs 4 passes
Los Angeles R - 5 runs 4 passes
Green Bay - 0 runs 4 passes
Carolina - 7 runs 4 passes
San Francisco - 2 runs 6 passes
Total - 40 runs 42 passes

Seahawks have given up at least 4 20 yard passes in each of the last 5 games - and 8 times overall.

When facing a top 16 offense - 26.9 ppg 305.7 pypg 134.9 rypg 440.6 typg 3-4 record

When facing a Bottom 16 offense - 14.2 ppg 179.2 pypg 91.4 rypg 270.6 typg 4-1 record.