• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Royals take the series from the Tigers, again

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the royals just keep beating the tigers...up on them for the year also, what 9-6......there isn't much hope in the playoffs for the Tigers unless they get over their fear of teams above .500..

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the royals just keep beating the tigers...up on them for the year also, what 9-6......there isn't much hope in the playoffs for the Tigers unless they get over their fear of teams above .500..

Good thing the Tigers dont have to worry about seeing the Royals in the playoffs... Huh

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you say you have me on "ignore", you say you don't follow me around....but...hilarious...your always posting....just behind me...

Since the Tigers will be out after the 1st round...they won't be seeing many teams in the playoffs other than 1 team....lol

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-7 actually and the Tigers have the second best record in the American League against teams over .500 and third best record in baseball against teams over .500. Only the Braves and Red Sox have been better against winning teams.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-7 actually and the Tigers have the second best record in the American League against teams over .500 and third best record in baseball against teams over .500. Only the Braves and Red Sox have been better against winning teams.

Great deal, that just shows how good the Royals are getting...thats actually really good news...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's "stalking" who, MiamiVice? Please don't hand us the "I'm tired of the personal conflict with bums" bullshit again.

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's "stalking" who, MiamiVice? Please don't hand us the "I'm tired of the personal conflict with bums" bullshit again.

:agree:

Congrats on the W, Bums. Tigs fans getting nervous with the Tribe & Royals closing in

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol::laugh3::agree::omg::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I keep TRYING to talk about the AL Central....finally some light on the truth.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Congrats on the W, Bums. Tigs fans getting nervous with the Tribe & Royals closing in

Agree with you CaptO...the window for the Tigers is closing....and they know it...they haven't been able to put it together from 2006 to 2013......its sorta sad to see it slipping away...similar to the Indians run in the 90's....playoffs but just not quite enough.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you CaptO...the window for the Tigers is closing....and they know it...they haven't been able to put it together from 2006 to 2013......its sorta sad to see it slipping away...similar to the Indians run in the 90's....playoffs but just not quite enough.
How is the window closing on the Tigers? Cabrera, Fielder, and Verlander are still in their prime, and Scherzer and Jackson are just entering theirs. Then they have Iglesias, who could be their shortstop for a while if he continues to hit at an acceptable level, and Castellanos should be their LF by next year or the following at the latest. Sanchez and Fister are both solid pitchers in their primes. Avila has been disappointing since his big 2011, but he's still only 26.

That team is built for now and for the immediate future, and has the resources to replace older guys like Martinez and Hunter.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the window closing on the Tigers? Cabrera, Fielder, and Verlander are still in their prime, and Scherzer and Jackson are just entering theirs. Then they have Iglesias, who could be their shortstop for a while if he continues to hit at an acceptable level, and Castellanos should be their LF by next year or the following at the latest. Sanchez and Fister are both solid pitchers in their primes. Avila has been disappointing since his big 2011, but he's still only 26.

That team is built for now and for the immediate future, and has the resources to replace older guys like Martinez and Hunter.

100% agree barring some very negative future developments... Not sure why Bums is trolling. Even more perplexed as to why exactly MiamiVice continues to feed him.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
royals > tigers

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cabrera has peaked....if you think he is going to hit better than 2012 and 2013...I will take that bet...

JV is having his worst season since he lost 18 games...who knows what it is...arm? money? bored?...but the guy just isn't focused like he has been for years. I really am shocked on this guy.

JacKKKKson...really? don't think the league is worried about Jackson...unless the league is worried about Stubbs, Fowler or any strikeout leadoff hitter.

Agree on Sanchez, thats the guy who should be talked about for CY Young...he is really coming into his own.

Max - Free Agent after 14

Tori Hunter - 39 years old

Victor Martinez - 34 years old

Fielder - Did ANY OF you see how his dad declined because of the weight issues? look it up, he will not have a normal career.

Inglesis...seriously...hey great defense but he will not be a threat with a bat, ever.

Like I said, the Tigers window is closing....13 and 14 might be their last two chances to keep getting into the playoffs...

we all have opinions...but I don't see the lineup doing very well after Hunter/Vmart decline...

they will have to spend to get at least 2 or 3 hitters, real hitters, not Inglesis type, to contend...and will have to pay Max alot....and have to spend to get at least a closer or really good middle relief...someone they can count on in the pen...unless smyly does it again next year.

This all while the Indians and Royals progress have moved up a level since last year...if either or both continue to move up...its just going to push that window down that much more.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cabrera has peaked....if you think he is going to hit better than 2012 and 2013...I will take that bet...

Who said he needs to hit better? Certainly not me. I simply pointed out the *fact* that he's in his prime. So you can expect 2-3 more years like the last 4, then several more seasons that would be great for any other hitter on the planet. Then, even when he's old, he'll still be better than most hitters.

JV is having his worst season since he lost 18 games...who knows what it is...arm? money? bored?...but the guy just isn't focused like he has been for years. I really am shocked on this guy.

The guy can't have a down year? With the way Leyland has used him, it's no surprise that he had a hiccup this year. He's clearly gassed. He needs a nice, long offseason to rest and recuperate. I'm not saying he's going to be 2011-2012 JV next year, but I wouldn't expect him to keep putting up 2013s either.

JacKKKKson...really? don't think the league is worried about Jackson...unless the league is worried about Stubbs, Fowler or any strikeout leadoff hitter.

Why does the league need to be "worried" about him for him to be an effective player? What a stupid mentality. He's a great defender, and is a solid hitter. Who cares how much he strikes out as long as he gets on base in front of Cabrera, which he's done at a .363 clip over the past two years? His #1 priority is to get on base. And he's not even in his prime yet. I'd take Jackson back on the Yankees in a heartbeat.

Agree on Sanchez, thats the guy who should be talked about for CY Young...he is really coming into his own.

He shouldn't be talked about for Cy Young. He doesn't have enough innings.

So? They can easily re-sign him.

Didn't I explicitly state how they can go out and find replacements for these guys?

Fielder - Did ANY OF you see how his dad declined because of the weight issues? look it up, he will not have a normal career.

Of course I saw his dad decline, but it wasn't because of his weight. It was because once he lost a tic of bat speed, his long, looping swing was easily exploited. I expect Prince to be a total albatross by the end of his contract, but at the same time, Prince is a much better hitter than his dad ever was, and is also a much better hitter than similar guys like Ryan Howard or Mo Vaughn who also broke down in their early 30s. I expect him to have another 3-4 seasons in line with his career averages, then tail off dramatically after that.

Inglesis...seriously...hey great defense but he will not be a threat with a bat, ever.

Again, why does he need to be a "threat"? You don't need sluggers at every spot in the lineup. I clearly said as long as he hits at an acceptable level. To me, that would be an 85 OPS+ or better for a guy with his glove. I think he can manage that, though he does have to prove it, obviously. If he can maintain the .340+ OBP he's had since joining the Tigers, that would be a huge bonus.

Like I said, the Tigers window is closing....13 and 14 might be their last two chances to keep getting into the playoffs...

Again, I don't see anything that would indicate that they only have one more year of being a playoff-caliber team. You've provided nothing that supports that.

we all have opinions...but I don't see the lineup doing very well after Hunter/Vmart decline...

Yes, we all have opinions, but yours is either very poorly formed or born from a lack of objectivity because you dislike the team. Hunter and Martinez not major cogs in the lineup. They're complimentary pieces and there are always bats like them on the FA market. If anything, they should let VMart walk so that Cabrera and Fielder can DH more and prolong their careers.

they will have to spend to get at least 2 or 3 hitters, real hitters, not Inglesis type, to contend...and will have to pay Max alot....and have to spend to get at least a closer or really good middle relief...someone they can count on in the pen...unless smyly does it again next year.

You're acting like this is a small market team with limited funds. They have plenty of money to sign whoever they need. They can bring back Benoit, who is a perfectly reliable and capable closer, and they have Smyly and a few other younger pitchers who can potentially be solid middle guys. It's never a good idea to throw away money on free agent relief pitching. Relievers are a dime a dozen. They can be developed from within. It's about quality depth, not about one or two great guys. Their bullpen was awful last year and they still made it to the World Series, and the bullpen isn't the reason they lost.

They don't need "2 or 3 real hitters" if Castellanos pans out. They need one, and again, there are plenty of decent hitters the caliber of a Torii Hunter on the free agent market every year who won't cost an arm and a leg, and the Tigers have more than enough money to sign any such player.

This all while the Indians and Royals progress have moved up a level since last year...if either or both continue to move up...its just going to push that window down that much more.

Don't they have to prove they can do it for more than one year first? And it's not like either team has this burgeoning farm system that is going to keep feeding the club with top talent. The Indians made some nice moves in the offseason picking up some quality complimentary veterans and have been a nice story this year, but they have to hope that Kipnis and Santana continue to develop as hitters, and that Michael Bourn doesn't lose a step. Their starting pitching is also very thin.

The Royals have a lot of the same issues you brought up for the Tigers. James Shields and Ervin Santana are not long for the club and Kyle Zimmer is still a few years away and not a sure thing. Their lineup is already very weak, and they traded away their top hitting prospect to get Shields, and they don't really have any other MLB-ready talent waiting in the wings. I'd love nothing more than to see the Royals put together a long stretch of competitive seasons, but I just don't see it.

Your arguments are very weak. I would suggest your reformulate them and try again.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, he lost 17 games in 2008, not 18.

Secondly, this happens to a lot of good pitchers, and they bounce back in subsequent seasons. It's location. Period. JV's velocity was upper-90s for a lot of the last game vs. KC, so no worries there. But he missed over the plate too much on 0-2 and 1-2 pitches. He's also walked 68 this season, and is in line for his highest walk total since that 2008 season. Again, location.

And if he goes something like 13-12 with a 3.75 ERA, it's a poor season for him, but nowhere near as bad as 2008 (11-17, 4.84).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torii Hunter turned 38 in July. Get your shit straight Bums, ya freakin' maroon.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who said he needs to hit better? Certainly not me. I simply pointed out the *fact* that he's in his prime. So you can expect 2-3 more years like the last 4, then several more seasons that would be great for any other hitter on the planet. Then, even when he's old, he'll still be better than most hitters.

The guy can't have a down year? With the way Leyland has used him, it's no surprise that he had a hiccup this year. He's clearly gassed. He needs a nice, long offseason to rest and recuperate. I'm not saying he's going to be 2011-2012 JV next year, but I wouldn't expect him to keep putting up 2013s either.

Why does the league need to be "worried" about him for him to be an effective player? What a stupid mentality. He's a great defender, and is a solid hitter. Who cares how much he strikes out as long as he gets on base in front of Cabrera, which he's done at a .363 clip over the past two years? His #1 priority is to get on base. And he's not even in his prime yet. I'd take Jackson back on the Yankees in a heartbeat.

He shouldn't be talked about for Cy Young. He doesn't have enough innings.

So? They can easily re-sign him.

Didn't I explicitly state how they can go out and find replacements for these guys?

Of course I saw his dad decline, but it wasn't because of his weight. It was because once he lost a tic of bat speed, his long, looping swing was easily exploited. I expect Prince to be a total albatross by the end of his contract, but at the same time, Prince is a much better hitter than his dad ever was, and is also a much better hitter than similar guys like Ryan Howard or Mo Vaughn who also broke down in their early 30s. I expect him to have another 3-4 seasons in line with his career averages, then tail off dramatically after that.

Again, why does he need to be a "threat"? You don't need sluggers at every spot in the lineup. I clearly said as long as he hits at an acceptable level. To me, that would be an 85 OPS+ or better for a guy with his glove. I think he can manage that, though he does have to prove it, obviously. If he can maintain the .340+ OBP he's had since joining the Tigers, that would be a huge bonus.

Again, I don't see anything that would indicate that they only have one more year of being a playoff-caliber team. You've provided nothing that supports that.

Yes, we all have opinions, but yours is either very poorly formed or born from a lack of objectivity because you dislike the team. Hunter and Martinez not major cogs in the lineup. They're complimentary pieces and there are always bats like them on the FA market. If anything, they should let VMart walk so that Cabrera and Fielder can DH more and prolong their careers.

You're acting like this is a small market team with limited funds. They have plenty of money to sign whoever they need. They can bring back Benoit, who is a perfectly reliable and capable closer, and they have Smyly and a few other younger pitchers who can potentially be solid middle guys. It's never a good idea to throw away money on free agent relief pitching. Relievers are a dime a dozen. They can be developed from within. It's about quality depth, not about one or two great guys. Their bullpen was awful last year and they still made it to the World Series, and the bullpen isn't the reason they lost.

They don't need "2 or 3 real hitters" if Castellanos pans out. They need one, and again, there are plenty of decent hitters the caliber of a Torii Hunter on the free agent market every year who won't cost an arm and a leg, and the Tigers have more than enough money to sign any such player.

Don't they have to prove they can do it for more than one year first? And it's not like either team has this burgeoning farm system that is going to keep feeding the club with top talent. The Indians made some nice moves in the offseason picking up some quality complimentary veterans and have been a nice story this year, but they have to hope that Kipnis and Santana continue to develop as hitters, and that Michael Bourn doesn't lose a step. Their starting pitching is also very thin.

The Royals have a lot of the same issues you brought up for the Tigers. James Shields and Ervin Santana are not long for the club and Kyle Zimmer is still a few years away and not a sure thing. Their lineup is already very weak, and they traded away their top hitting prospect to get Shields, and they don't really have any other MLB-ready talent waiting in the wings. I'd love nothing more than to see the Royals put together a long stretch of competitive seasons, but I just don't see it.

Your arguments are very weak. I would suggest your reformulate them and try again.

Jackson doesn't even strikeout that much anyway. His K% has been improving over the last few years.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, he lost 17 games in 2008, not 18.

Secondly, this happens to a lot of good pitchers, and they bounce back in subsequent seasons. It's location. Period. JV's velocity was upper-90s for a lot of the last game vs. KC, so no worries there. But he missed over the plate too much on 0-2 and 1-2 pitches. He's also walked 68 this season, and is in line for his highest walk total since that 2008 season. Again, location.

And if he goes something like 13-12 with a 3.75 ERA, it's a poor season for him, but nowhere near as bad as 2008 (11-17, 4.84).

Verlander's not having a bad year by any means. 115 ERA+ through 192 IP is still good. But to see his K/BB decline dramatically and seeing him struggle with pitch counts (relative to the last few years at least) is kind of concerning.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes giving up a lot more two strike base hits than we've grown accustomed to. (Seems like it anyway)Which falls in line with how the "issue" is location. Rather than off the plate, or on the black, hes leaving fast balls over the plate and curve balls up. There still aren't 30 starters who are having a better season, IMO. Not bad for a guy in his off year. (Made it hard on himself by raising that bar so high)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is having a great year, but he might not even make it to 180 IP. It's not like he's blowing the rest of the pitchers away in ERA/ERA+ or anything else. Kind of hard to really consider him for CYA. Same with Buchholz in 2010.