• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Every NHL Franchise Ranked

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was bored and took some data and created a weighted system that objectively measures the best and worst performing NHL franchises of all-time. It weighs overall season records, playoff records, and Stanley Cup appearances/victories approximately evenly. Included categories are number of seasons played, regular season win percentage, regular season win rank, number of playoffs qualified, playoff record (series win percentage), Stanley Cup wins, finals appearances, Cup wins per season existing, and win percentage in Stanley Cup finals. Again, I weighted these to balance the numbers and in a few categories (like Cups wins), I halved the weighted score of Original Six teams simply because existing longer and winning Cups in a 6-team league should only carry so much weight. That said, original six teams did just fine in these rankings.

Hang on, I'm drawing interest wrong... "YOU WON'T BELIEVE #7!!!" There we go.

So to pass the time in the coming off season, I'll roll out a couple of these per week and you all can pick apart and debate the merits of said rankings. Playoff results for this year won't be included except for Seattle at this point due to the need for data for them (otherwise they would be a N/A).

Only the current 32 NHL franchises were evaluated, so I didn't consider teams like the Golden Seals unless their franchise history for teams like Carolina (Hartford) or Arizona (Winnipeg) traveled with them to their new location.

Hope you all enjoy and emphatically disagree with these rankings. ;)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#32 - Arizona Coyotes

Season Win Pct Rank - #31
Playoff Qualification Pct - 45.5%
Playoff Series Win Pct - 20.0%
Stanley Cup Appearances/Wins - 0/0

Winning only 5 of 20 playoff series, the Coyotes have the lowest playoff winning percentage in the league and the second lowest season win percentage (47.6%) during the season all time. It's hard to do much worse. Add in dismal attendance and near constant financial/future uncertainty and you have a franchise that is a complete disaster and a surprise to no one in the bottom spot.

#31 coming later this week...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
#32 - Arizona Coyotes

Season Win Pct Rank - #31
Playoff Qualification Pct - 45.5%
Playoff Series Win Pct - 20.0%

Winning only 5 of 20 playoff series, the Coyotes have the lowest playoff winning percentage in the league and the second lowest season win percentage (47.6%) during the season all time. It's hard to do much worse. Add in dismal attendance and near constant financial/future uncertainty and you have a franchise that is a complete disaster and a surprise to no one in the bottom spot.

#31 coming later this week...
what????? that's outrageous!!!
you better change this rating or you will be DOANED

oh, wait I read that wrong. spot on, good chap.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can you hurry up and just make the canucks 31 thankyou I cant stand the wait

It's more fun this way. Every few days checking to see if your team has been eliminated from the Hunger Games yet.

Good luck, tributes.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The methodology is interesting, cant wait to see the results. Not so sure all the Original 6 will fare well though. MTL and TOR will be up there, but then who? DET probably next, then in my mind a bit of a drop to BOS and CHI. I am expecting NYR to not fare too well in this.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was going to say, putting the Flames in the mediocre middle of 16 sounds about right :D
You have a cup even if it was kicked in ... You have one

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope OTT received credit for their Cup wins in 1920, 1921,1923 and 1927!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious to see how the Damphousse factor plays into the rankings. Both with the teams he played for and his effect, but also the Avalanche and Capitals. He was signed by the Avalanche but never played for them because the season was cancelled, and the Capitals offered him a contract but he retired, probably not realizing how NHL ready Ovechkin was. Imagine if Ovechkin would have been mentored by Vinny for a season or two.

Fun fact - Damphousse led his draft class in career goals, points, and penalty minutes.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant wait to see where the islanders are ranked... they may be the most contraversial ranked team... 4 championships, but besides that, they are one of the worst franchises in the sport...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona at 32 seems legit but the franchise needs some recognition for that Queen Elizabeth painting.

As iconic as that painting is, Dale Hawerchuk night in Glendale is right there as well.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#31 - Columbus Blue Jackets

Weighted Franchise Score - 36.3
Season Win Pct Rank - #26
Playoff Qualification Pct - 26.1%
Playoff Series Win Pct - 25.0%

Despite outstanding attendance and support from fans, the on ice performance from Columbus is best described as "did not qualify." Blue Jacket fans have only seen ONE playoff series win in more than 20 years in the few times that have made the postseason. The Jackets have never won their division. They've never even finished 2nd in their division. Yet the fans keep coming back partly due to a great arena, game day experience, and love of the sport/town. Kudos to them and one would hope the team's performance would someday match their energy.

PS - The weighted score of the Coyotes was not mentioned, but it was 35.8. This was the overall score after assigning point values to different metrics. The highest team received a 100. Nine teams scored under 60 points, thirteen teams scored from 60-79 points, six teams scored from 80-89, and four teams scored 90 points or higher.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gave them a cannon bump though, didnt ya?

_r3CSD.gif