• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo sees opportunity at Rangers roster despite Napoli signing

“There’s really no spot for me anymore, so I’m going to have to battle for wherever there is an opening,” Gallo said. “I’m not really worried about anything. I’m just going to go out and get my work in and hopefully at some point I’ll be able to get some at-bats throughout the season up there.”

When asked if he was conceding that he’s going to start the season at Triple A Round Rock, Gallo responded with a quick, “no.” But he believes there is only so much he can learn at Triple A and would rather figure out what’s left on his initial learning curve in the majors.

“It’s valuable to learn up there,” Gallo said. “We’ll see how things go. I don’t think that at all about going to Round Rock. I haven’t heard anything.”

Gallo said that he spent all winter working out at first base, but worked out Thursday at third base. That’s his natural position and his favorite position, and he said that he will have no issues there or in left field.

The slugger had only one hit, a towering home run, in 25 big-league at-bats last season. He went to Venezuela in the off-season to get more at-bats, only to pull his hamstring in his third game.

He has played 155 games at Triple A, connecting for 39 home runs but batting only .224 with 240 strikeouts in 559 at-bats.

Might want to figure out how to not strike out 33% of the time at AAA. Gotta learn to swim first, tadpole.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“There’s really no spot for me anymore, so I’m going to have to battle for wherever there is an opening,” Gallo said. “I’m not really worried about anything. I’m just going to go out and get my work in and hopefully at some point I’ll be able to get some at-bats throughout the season up there.”

When asked if he was conceding that he’s going to start the season at Triple A Round Rock, Gallo responded with a quick, “no.” But he believes there is only so much he can learn at Triple A and would rather figure out what’s left on his initial learning curve in the majors.

“It’s valuable to learn up there,” Gallo said. “We’ll see how things go. I don’t think that at all about going to Round Rock. I haven’t heard anything.”

Gallo said that he spent all winter working out at first base, but worked out Thursday at third base. That’s his natural position and his favorite position, and he said that he will have no issues there or in left field.

The slugger had only one hit, a towering home run, in 25 big-league at-bats last season. He went to Venezuela in the off-season to get more at-bats, only to pull his hamstring in his third game.

He has played 155 games at Triple A, connecting for 39 home runs but batting only .224 with 240 strikeouts in 559 at-bats.

I am hoping our season goes well but if we are 10+ games out come ASB, that might be the best shot for guys like him and Profar to get consistent time at a specific spot.

Kind of feel for Gallo but looking at interview I could see his disappointment. He is going to have to get tougher mentally IMO. Too much talent to write him off

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he believes there is only so much he can learn at Triple A and would rather figure out what’s left on his initial learning curve in the majors.

Problem is, the Rangers aren't really in a position to have him try and figure things out at the MLB level.

EDIT: and what Romeo said too.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hitting .224 with 240 strikeouts in 559 at bats will not get yo called up. Doesn't look like he has learned much at AAA batting wise. Hitting .040 with 23 strikeouts in 25 at bats didn't help him any.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official. Nap signed today

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I see teams already announcing who their Opening Day starters are, I wonder - is it automatically Hamels for us?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers manager Jeff Banister praised the versatility of Profar and Rua, but said they could “focus more on concentrated effort to compete in left field as a primary spot.”

The duo could comprise a platoon with Rua vs. lefties and Profar vs. right-handers. It would also create another avenue to increase Profar’s at-bats, perhaps giving him 2-3 starts per week in the outfield and 2-3 more in the infield. Profar will play left field for The Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic. Profar started eight games in left field last year and four games in 2013.

“I think I did a good job in left field,” he said. “The ground balls and the fly balls are the same on that side of the infield to what I am used to at shortstop. I’m just going to be ready to play. What I want to do is play every day.”

A year ago, Profar said he planned to be an everyday shortstop in 2017, but acknowledged Thursday that his main desire is to simply get on the field more regularly.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers manager Jeff Banister praised the versatility of Profar and Rua, but said they could “focus more on concentrated effort to compete in left field as a primary spot.”

The duo could comprise a platoon with Rua vs. lefties and Profar vs. right-handers. It would also create another avenue to increase Profar’s at-bats, perhaps giving him 2-3 starts per week in the outfield and 2-3 more in the infield. Profar will play left field for The Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic. Profar started eight games in left field last year and four games in 2013.

“I think I did a good job in left field,” he said. “The ground balls and the fly balls are the same on that side of the infield to what I am used to at shortstop. I’m just going to be ready to play. What I want to do is play every day.”

A year ago, Profar said he planned to be an everyday shortstop in 2017, but acknowledged Thursday that his main desire is to simply get on the field more regularly.

After his 4 game stint I was pretty anti-LF for him, but he looked MUCH improved there last year in his limited time

Hopefully he improves with greater exposure, the platoon is a good idea bc Profar is basically worthless against LHPs and Rua isn't much better against RHPs

Banister sounds like he's going to continue the habit of giving guys a day off a week

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope that is not a sign of things to come with Adrian. He kind of spoiled us with his health last year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was not a fan of his participating to begin with, for health reasons.
Nor I. Rather he concentrate on ST and getting in best physical shape possible.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on 105.3 that Beltre is definitely not playing in the WBC and is out about 2 weeks.