• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Matt Whitener............

5. Ian Kinsler, Detroit Tigers

Detroit Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler has one of the most diverse games in baseball. Brett Davis/USA TODAY Sports
There’s little (to nothing) that Kinsler can’t do on the diamond. On-base threat? Kinsler posted a .288/.348/.484 split line, good for a six-year personal high of an .831 OPS. Like power? He connected for 28 home runs and 61 extra-base hits. Overall run production? Speed? He checked in fourth in the AL with 117 runs scored and stole 14 bases as well. Defense? Kinsler finished just a percentage point behind Pedroia in 2B dWAR and had over 400 assists.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four long-time umpires have retired since the end of last season: Bob Davidson, John Hirschbeck, Jim Joyce and Tim Welke. The Texas Rangers will miss Joyce most of all.

Over the past decade, the Rangers had a winning record with each umpire working the plate. Their long-running success with the well-regarded Joyce is noteworthy.

From 2003-16, the Rangers were 23-9 for a .719 winning percentage with Joyce working the plate. They had a .517 winning percentage for the other 2,237 games.

Why the Rangers will miss retired umpire Jim Joyce | SportsDay

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Yu and the Mrs.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan's Opening Day Roster projection.

Rangers roster projection 1.0: Could Texas start with a four-man rotation? | SportsDay

Starting pitchers (4): RHP Yu Darvish, LHP Cole Hamels, LHP Martin Perez, RHP Andrew Cashner

Relief pitchers (8): RHP Sam Dyson, RHP Matt Bush, RHP Tony Barnette, LHP Alex Claudio, RHP Keone Kela, RHP Jeremy Jeffress, RHP Tanner Scheppers, RHP Mike Hauschild

Catchers (2): Jonathan Lucroy, Robinson Chirinos

Infielders (6): 1B Mike Napoli, 2B Rougned Odor, SS Elvis Andrus, 3B Adrian Beltre, INF-OF Jurickson Profar, 1B-DH-OF Josh Hamilton

Outfielders (5): LF Ryan Rua, CF Carlos Gomez, RF Nomar Mazara, OF-DH Shin-Soo Choo, OF Delino DeShields

Evan is saying Tyson Ross could be back by April 15th. I have always heard at the end of May or sometime in June.

I think with Profar expected to play a lot in the OF that another IF like Alberto would be kept over DeShields. Maybe even Drew Robinson.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan's Opening Day Roster projection.

Rangers roster projection 1.0: Could Texas start with a four-man rotation? | SportsDay

Starting pitchers (4): RHP Yu Darvish, LHP Cole Hamels, LHP Martin Perez, RHP Andrew Cashner

Relief pitchers (8): RHP Sam Dyson, RHP Matt Bush, RHP Tony Barnette, LHP Alex Claudio, RHP Keone Kela, RHP Jeremy Jeffress, RHP Tanner Scheppers, RHP Mike Hauschild

Catchers (2): Jonathan Lucroy, Robinson Chirinos

Infielders (6): 1B Mike Napoli, 2B Rougned Odor, SS Elvis Andrus, 3B Adrian Beltre, INF-OF Jurickson Profar, 1B-DH-OF Josh Hamilton

Outfielders (5): LF Ryan Rua, CF Carlos Gomez, RF Nomar Mazara, OF-DH Shin-Soo Choo, OF Delino DeShields

Evan is saying Tyson Ross could be back by April 15th. I have always heard at the end of May or sometime in June.

I think with Profar expected to play a lot in the OF that another IF like Alberto would be kept over DeShields. Maybe even Drew Robinson.

Is Jeffress still having problems or was that a one time thing?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Jeffress still having problems or was that a one time thing?

Think Jeffress is on his last chance w MLB before he receives a ban. If Im JD I try and move him for anything I can, before he bites you in the ass

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Jeffress is on his last chance w MLB before he receives a ban. If Im JD I try and move him for anything I can, before he bites you in the ass
I still hate that part of the deal. We gave up too much just to add him to the deal.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't take long. Hamilton is going back to Texas to have his knee looked at.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't take long. Hamilton is going back to Texas to have his knee looked at.

Yep.....On his way to Houston to see whatever doctor there which was the last one to cut on him.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came here to post the Hamilton info.

"Scheduled to do nothing but a little bit of running the bases on Tuesday, Hamilton felt some stiffness in his surgically-repaired left knee and will be examined in Houston by the surgeon who reconstructed his ACL last year."

The guy's legs must be 90 years old at this point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came here to post the Hamilton info.

"Scheduled to do nothing but a little bit of running the bases on Tuesday, Hamilton felt some stiffness in his surgically-repaired left knee and will be examined in Houston by the surgeon who reconstructed his ACL last year."

The guy's legs must be 90 years old at this point.
I wonder if he can hit home runs from a wheel chair. Or maybe a Hoveround.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister is espousing the old "we're just being overly cautious" routine in regards to Hamilton's latest aliment.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anyone interested...

My Mom is dating a little league umpire and he's studying for his re-certification. He came across a question that he didn't know the answer to. He asked me, and I honestly don't know the "official" ruling here either.

The scenario:

Bases loaded, two outs. The batter draws a walk. Before the runner from third crosses home plate, the runner advancing to second base touches the base, removes his foot, and is subsequently tagged out. Does the run count, or not?

(and yeah, I realize that it's almost impossible for that sequence of events to happen)

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For anyone interested...

My Mom is dating a little league umpire and he's studying for his re-certification. He came across a question that he didn't know the answer to. He asked me, and I honestly don't know the "official" ruling here either.

The scenario:

Bases loaded, two outs. The batter draws a walk. Before the runner from third crosses home plate, the runner advancing to second base touches the base, removes his foot, and is subsequently tagged out. Does the run count, or not?

(and yeah, I realize that it's almost impossible for that sequence of events to happen)
I believe everyone had to advance and the ball has to be put into play by the pitcher on the mound since all base were free advancement. Run counts. idk only my opinion.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should mention that my take was the third out was recorded before the runner crossed home plate, therefore the run doesn't count.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule 5.06(b)(3)(B) Comment (Rule 7.04(b) Comment): A runner forced to advance without liability to be put out may advance past the base to which he is entitled only at his peril. If such a runner, forced to advance, is put out for the third out before a preceding runner, also forced to advance, touches home plate, the run shall score.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW...

The Surprise Five from Rangers’ first full-squad workout

"5. It is my steadfast belief that Yu Darvish will sign an extension or re-sign next off-season with the Rangers, who have given Darvish ample leeway in terms of how he trains, how he deals with the media, how he prepares for starts and how he pitches in games.

He has every comfort he could possibly want, and there is no guarantee that another club would offer that even if they offered more money.

As the Japanese media often say, Darvish hates change. That would apply to his life away from the field, too, and one big change next month could also factor into keeping him in Dallas.

Darvish’s wife is due in mid-March with a boy. Darvish and his wife have a home in Dallas, and the Rangers are under the impression he loves living in that city. Just imagine what a pain it would be to move a wife and two kids under age 3 to another city and another pediatrician and another house."