• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on 105.3 that Beltre is definitely not playing in the WBC and is out about 2 weeks.
I don't want Profar to find a permanent position at Adrian's expense. Adrian should realize his age and avoid unnecessary activities.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian should realize his age and avoid unnecessary activities.

And that's not in his DNA. It's also one of the reasons he's great and so revered.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Connor Sadzeck made big improvements

Rookie right-hander Connor Sadzeck is in his second big league camp, and pitching coach Doug Brocail said he can see a big difference from last season.

"Nothing like I expected," Brocail said. "It was really good ... under control and with a better tempo."

Sadzeck, an 11th-round Draft pick out of Howard (Texas) Junior College in 2011 and the Rangers' No. 10 prospect, according to MLBPipeline.com, is the hardest thrower in the farm system with a fastball that can hit 100 mph. Control has been his biggest issue, and he is still working on both his slider and changeup.

Because of his power arm, there has been some thought of moving him into the bullpen. But he will continue to start for now, and the Rangers are encouraged by his progress.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Profar to find a permanent position at Adrian's expense. Adrian should realize his age and avoid unnecessary activities.
Sadly, at some point Adrian is going to actually show his age. Of course, if that didn't happen for another 3 years or so it wouldn't shock me. It could happen at any time though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, at some point Adrian is going to actually show his age. Of course, if that didn't happen for another 3 years or so it wouldn't shock me. It could happen at any time though.
Yes at any time and no use pushing it. Do you hear me Adrian? haha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calf injury to keep Adrian Beltre out of WBC's first round
Feb 17, 2017

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Texas Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre reported to spring training Friday with a strained left calf muscle that will sideline him about three weeks and will keep him out of the opening round of the World Baseball Classic.

Beltre, 37, said he injured the muscle working out at his home in California on Tuesday. He was planning to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC, and could join the team if it advances past the first round.

Beltre, winner of five Gold Gloves and a four-time All-Star, said his main concern is being ready for Opening Day of the season, but that he wants to play for his country.

The Rangers signed catcher A.J. Jimenez to a minor league contract with an invitation to major league spring training. Toronto released him on Monday.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanner Scheppers
He could be, well, he's still a mystery after missing most of the last three seasons with injuries after an abortive attempt to make him a starter. The last time he was healthy, in 2013, his fastball averaged 96 mph, and he had a sweeping slider. His fastball has been 94-95 the last three seasons, though he's pitched just 70 innings since the start of 2014.

A year ago, after suffering the knee injury, he underwent microfracture surgery and didn't return to the majors until September. And he really wasn't fully recovered then. He is just now starting to run distances again after having to do cardio on a bike for almost a year after surgery.

He could be a secret weapon.

"When hasn't that been the case with me?" Scheppers said. "I've gone from being a potential closer to opening day starter to hurt. Unfortunately, it's put me in this situation that I'm in now. I'm OK with that. The game was taken away from me, but that's only made the fire inside me to pitch burn stronger. I have a lot to prove."

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanner Scheppers
He could be, well, he's still a mystery after missing most of the last three seasons with injuries after an abortive attempt to make him a starter. The last time he was healthy, in 2013, his fastball averaged 96 mph, and he had a sweeping slider. His fastball has been 94-95 the last three seasons, though he's pitched just 70 innings since the start of 2014.

A year ago, after suffering the knee injury, he underwent microfracture surgery and didn't return to the majors until September. And he really wasn't fully recovered then. He is just now starting to run distances again after having to do cardio on a bike for almost a year after surgery.

He could be a secret weapon.

"When hasn't that been the case with me?" Scheppers said. "I've gone from being a potential closer to opening day starter to hurt. Unfortunately, it's put me in this situation that I'm in now. I'm OK with that. The game was taken away from me, but that's only made the fire inside me to pitch burn stronger. I have a lot to prove."

that guy is still around?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where Kam Loe is trying out for the Rangers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is getting closer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers Josh Hamilton hitting moonshots

The assault on cars traveling Bullard Avenue beyond right field began in the second round. Hamilton, hitting between Shin-Soo Choo and Mike Napoli, crushed one high and deep in the direction toward Bullard. Hamilton did it again on the next pitch: a savage line drive with just enough altitude to clear the fence.

"It's just a different sound," farm director Jayce Tingler said behind the cage.

"The only two like it are [Marlins' Giancarlo] Stanton and him," hitting coach Anthony Iapoce said. "The first time I heard them. Stanton when I was with the Marlins and Josh last year. I put it on the tee for him. It was real quiet and then … wham!"

Hamilton, in a half-dozen rounds, had the usual February batting practice, lazy fly balls mixed in with line drives. Then the bat flashed again, a clap of thunder boomed and the ball soared through the desert air.

"How did it look?" Napoli said. "He was hitting moonshots."

The last one of the day was crushed and would have easily ended up in the upper deck at Globe Life Park, just like in 2010-11 when Hamilton was leading the Rangers to two straight World Series.

"It felt good," Hamilton said. "I'm still trying to the feel. Sometimes I jump out at the ball rather than let it travel to me. But it's getting better every day."

His knee problems were so acute last spring Hamilton wasn't even able to take batting practice with teammates on the field. The cars were safe on Bullard, but not anymore.

"I just want to see as much live pitching at game speed as possible," Hamilton said.

He'll get many opportunities between now and the end of Spring Training. Hamilton is here on a Minor League contract and has to make the team. Hamilton also will not make the team strictly as a designated hitter.

Manager Jeff Banister wants him to play either first base, left field or both. Hamilton has never played first, but said he feels comfortable there this spring. The Rangers know he can play the outfield if he can keep from running into walls.

"When the ball is hit, I go and get it," Hamilton said. "But I'll try to be smart about it, know the situation and the run differential."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeffress, Kela and Scheppers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the splitter may take on more prominent role for Rangers' Yu Darvish in 2017 | SportsDay

One constant over the first week of camp is that whenever Yu Darvish steps on a mound, Jonathan Lucroy steps behind the plate. They were together again Monday for Darvish's 34-pitch live batting practice session and it will continue until Lucroy leaves for the World Baseball Classic in March.

Lucroy saw Darvish through a handful of split-finger fastballs, a pitch that may end up replacing his changeup as his primary offspeed pitch. According to Brooksbaseball.net, Darvish threw only 36 changeups last year. He got 16 swings (44 percent), but only three swings and misses. In 2014, before Tommy John surgery, he threw the splitter 49 times and got swings on 29 of them (59 percent), including 12 swings and misses.

"It's got more tumbling action and can be effective for him against right-handed hitters," Lucroy said of the splitter. "He can throw it for some swings and misses. If you don't get the change exactly where you want it, there isn't much room for error."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of good reads and news. Thanks Bennie. Breaking silence is assurance things are happening. Ephland will likely be sending the latest from Surprise soon.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Josh still has elite MLB power and ability to turn heads but can he handle MLB pitching?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Josh still has elite MLB power and ability to turn heads but can he handle MLB pitching?
I think the biggest question with him will be if he can stay healthy.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either way, I'm glad he's here because at the minimum it gives us something to talk about until the games start.