• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The road to the trophy keeps getting closer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dip:

"Our pitching is probably a little deeper than most are giving it credit for being. The addition of a household name is probably not forthcoming. But we do intend to add to our pitching staff, whether it be in the 'pen or the rotation."

When you can't rely on an ace or number two I guess the next best option is to collect 15 number 5 starters. I guess when you never have to worry about a playoff series you don't really need a number 1, 2 or 3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right... When Seager first came up I thought he would be able to hit for a better avg. I had him as a guy that projected as a .280+ guy then he started trying to pull everything. His 2016 season might be the best we see from him, hoping for a little bit of a bounce back in 2018. But I think you are right his trade value is low right now compared to what it would've been. I go back and forth on trading him because I really don't think we have a better option at 3rd right now and Im not confident we could upgrade the position.

Ya, not sure what changed in Seager from when he first came up. He was a really good line drive hitter. Maybe when he found some power it has gotten to his head?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Marlin we should have traded for:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh the humanity!!!!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness tho, nothing will change based on that. I think the main issue is he needs to learn to work smarter not harder. He still hasn't accepted that needs to pitch with finesse and guile rather then power. Last offseason it was all about Iron Glen and getting stronger and now its about being more flexible which I still don't think addresses the issue.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are right... When Seager first came up I thought he would be able to hit for a better avg. I had him as a guy that projected as a .280+ guy then he started trying to pull everything. His 2016 season might be the best we see from him, hoping for a little bit of a bounce back in 2018. But I think you are right his trade value is low right now compared to what it would've been. I go back and forth on trading him because I really don't think we have a better option at 3rd right now and Im not confident we could upgrade the position.

He looked a bit out of shape this year to me. Looked really bottom heavy and his running and fielding took a dip IMO. I remember NWinAZ noticed that as well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the Marlin we should have traded for:

I know the Marlins are short on money, but trading away all their best young players is incredibly stupid IMO.

I can understand unloading a guy like Dee Gordon he's 30. Stanton I can somewhat understand because his contract is atrocious, but I don't see any reason they should trade away Yelich and/or Ozuna. Both are great young players who are still pretty far away from free agency.

IMO you build around an outfield of Yelich, Ozuna and Stanton.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the Jay Bruce thing.

1. The Mariners already have Gamel, Gordon, Haniger and Heredia.
2. He's a low OBP player and offers minimal defensive value.
3. The Mariners apparently only have a minimal amount of money to spend this offseason, and we need starting pitching.
4. He's overrated and will be 31-34 over the duration of the contract. Players like him don't age well.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looked a bit out of shape this year to me. Looked really bottom heavy and his running and fielding took a dip IMO. I remember NWinAZ noticed that as well.
Yeah I agree, He got his payday and said fuck it. He did have some injuries as well, probably didn't help. Thing is Seager isn't terrible and I think we can win with him, but what kind of season is he going to have.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the Jay Bruce thing.

1. The Mariners already have Gamel, Gordon, Haniger and Heredia.
2. He's a low OBP player and offers minimal defensive value.
3. The Mariners apparently only have a minimal amount of money to spend this offseason, and we need starting pitching.
4. He's overrated and will be 31-34 over the duration of the contract. Players like him don't age well.
I really don't like it and I don't see the fit. Even if Dip is wanting to trade one of those Of'ers its a downgrade defensively. The offense really isn't the big problem IMO its the rotation depth and rotation quality. There are way too many question marks in the rotation, a healthy Paxton is legit (just not healthy very often), is Felix washed up (seems like it, hasn't proved otherwise), Leake is probably the most reliable (but not an ace), then 4-10 is a mix of Dips flavor of the month. Spend the money on pitching, what is Dip looking at that we aren't seeing?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like it and I don't see the fit. Even if Dip is wanting to trade one of those Of'ers its a downgrade defensively. The offense really isn't the big problem IMO its the rotation depth and rotation quality. There are way too many question marks in the rotation, a healthy Paxton is legit (just not healthy very often), is Felix washed up (seems like it, hasn't proved otherwise), Leake is probably the most reliable (but not an ace), then 4-10 is a mix of Dips flavor of the month. Spend the money on pitching, what is Dip looking at that we aren't seeing?

I wouldn't mind shipping Gamel + someone else off for a decent starting pitcher and signing Jay Bruce, but that's kind of a stretch.