• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zona, I agree that Paxton should be/will be dealt with Jerry's unexplainable moves but I think they still need to wait until the deadline. They need a bidding war with an unexpected team willing to drive the asking price up. Much like how the White Sox made a killing at the deadline last year.

Jerry has bungled the already crappy farm system that he needs to get quantity to flip. Still so confusing why he gambled everything on an unproven Japanese player, who the Angels now say (at least I heard) is a 6th starter and backup DH. How horrible was his sell job to him anyways?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zona, I agree that Paxton should be/will be dealt with Jerry's unexplainable moves but I think they still need to wait until the deadline. They need a bidding war with an unexpected team willing to drive the asking price up. Much like how the White Sox made a killing at the deadline last year.

Big problem with tat scenario, Paxton rarely makes it til the deadline. You are asking him to go 3.5 months w/o an injury and that has never happened in his career. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry has bungled the already crappy farm system that he needs to get quantity to flip. Still so confusing why he gambled everything on an unproven Japanese player, who the Angels now say (at least I heard) is a 6th starter and backup DH. How horrible was his sell job to him anyways?

:10:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade thought or two:

Mets have been rumored to be after 2B's asking other teams for various ones. They have also been rumored to be taking offers on some of their SP's. Would Dip trade our new CF to Mets for some pitching and then go after a real CF?

Giants asking around for a big bat at 3B; Seager?

Not sure if you read comments by Dip the other day, but when asked about getting a starting SP he said when he mentioned adding pitching he didn't say necessarily it being an SP. He thinks his SP depth is better than most people think....???? Every team has depth at every position, it is the quality of depth that matters and we have no quality.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade thought or two:

Mets have been rumored to be after 2B's asking other teams for various ones. They have also been rumored to be taking offers on some of their SP's. Would Dip trade our new CF to Mets for some pitching and then go after a real CF?

Giants asking around for a big bat at 3B; Seager?

Not sure if you read comments by Dip the other day, but when asked about getting a starting SP he said when he mentioned adding pitching he didn't say necessarily it being an SP. He thinks his SP depth is better than most people think....???? Every team has depth at every position, it is the quality of depth that matters and we have no quality.
Absolutely absurd... quality over quantity Dip!!!

If we could get something good for Seager I would do it. I just don't think Dip would nor do I think he could get something good.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't hear that. I figure if that's the case, they'd probably be better off putting him in the minors if they're trying to ease him in.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big problem with tat scenario, Paxton rarely makes it til the deadline. You are asking him to go 3.5 months w/o an injury and that has never happened in his career. :)

I know it's a big gamble but the payload IMO would be much better at the deadline when unexpected teams are in and usually have more to offer. But like you said, Paxton could get flesh eating bacteria in the cold tub in spring training.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hear that. I figure if that's the case, they'd probably be better off putting him in the minors if they're trying to ease him in.

Haven't read it anywhere just on the radio last night the host said the Angels did a press conference about him being in the mix for a 6 man rotation and possibility of being a DH here and there. But it's strange, with the amount of money he is making you'd figure he'd be the perfect guinea pig on playing both ways.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read it anywhere just on the radio last night the host said the Angels did a press conference about him being in the mix for a 6 man rotation and possibility of being a DH here and there. But it's strange, with the amount of money he is making you'd figure he'd be the perfect guinea pig on playing both ways.

Could be speculation to do a 6 man rotation because they don't start as many games in Japan.

I'd imagine he'd also offer pinch hitting value.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be speculation to do a 6 man rotation because they don't start as many games in Japan.

I'd imagine he'd also offer pinch hitting value.

True, but 10 years ago there was a need for a 6 man rotation. Now, not so much with the ridiculous amount of off days players get. Not sure game scheduling in Japan though, really don't need as much recovery time when the furthest you can possibly travel is the equivalent of Seattle to Phoenix.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dip:

"Our pitching is probably a little deeper than most are giving it credit for being. The addition of a household name is probably not forthcoming. But we do intend to add to our pitching staff, whether it be in the 'pen or the rotation."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone is interested in numbers regarding drafted players.

Mariners

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another one. M's rank 9th in tmWar (war accumulated by players drafted team) since 2008. But ranked 27th in tWar (war accumulated by players obtained from other teams who were drafted during this period).

NUMBER OF PLAYERS since 2008

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have discussed Matt Harvey with at least two teams this offseason.

According to Ackert, the Mets were attempting to flip him for a reliever and were much more inclined to move Harvey than Robert Gsellman or Seth Lugo. Harvey is entering his third and final year of arbitration and is coming off of a troublesome season where he posted a cringe-inducing 6.70 ERA in 92 2/3 innings.

----------------------

I would take a chance on Harvey for Vincent or Rzep.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would be for trading Seager I think the window was missed on that. I do not seeing a point in selling low on him and he's probably at his lowest value given not only his production last year but the fact that his salary balloons from 10.5 to 18.5 million next year and stays that way for 4 years.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dip:

"Our pitching is probably a little deeper than most are giving it credit for being. The addition of a household name is probably not forthcoming. But we do intend to add to our pitching staff, whether it be in the 'pen or the rotation."
:trash:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would be for trading Seager I think the window was missed on that. I do not seeing a point in selling low on him and he's probably at his lowest value given not only his production last year but the fact that his salary balloons from 10.5 to 18.5 million next year and stays that way for 4 years.
I think you are right... When Seager first came up I thought he would be able to hit for a better avg. I had him as a guy that projected as a .280+ guy then he started trying to pull everything. His 2016 season might be the best we see from him, hoping for a little bit of a bounce back in 2018. But I think you are right his trade value is low right now compared to what it would've been. I go back and forth on trading him because I really don't think we have a better option at 3rd right now and Im not confident we could upgrade the position.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dip:

Guess we get another 80-85 win season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear that but it is about unloading that new big salary and adding pitching...quality pitching. Of course I am not sure Dip knows quality pitching so I guess it is a moot point.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said the other day, get your international money fifty cents on the dollar.