• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2023 - 2024 offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agreed with finally doing a rebuild though. The problem is they did it messed up IMO. They did it a half a season late and didn’t suck long enough. But what I just don’t get is they have spent money before, they gotten their budget to where this team needs to be at a minimum before and obviously with inflation of everything their isn’t a reason to not be there again. No one in the ownership group is poorer now than they were in 2017.

As well as if this is all on ownership then why did they sign off on the Castillo and Julio deal? I know the rebuttal back online has been they have team friendly contracts, well if that is the case then why isn’t Castillo the one being dealt, not a young play on a minimum salary.
I never believed it was a rebuild for one. It was a way to buy 5 years of good grace from the fans. I mean the rebuild consisted of; 1-Draft better 2- Develop better 3- Remove big salary. The first two are baseball management 101. The third is just being cheap. I mean what did trading Cano really gain us? We lost an All-Star closer in the salary dump. Now we lost the main piece of that same trade in a salary dump. Sorry, I had to get that out of the way.

Now as far as the Castillo contract goes, no it makes zero sense. Neither does the Ray signing. So what happened in Stanton and cohorts lives in the last two years that changed the direction? Strictly the XFinity crap? Hard for me to believe. I mean Fubo also has it and there are still people buying the xfinity package so how much will actually be lost?

The Julio deal is easy to explain and I have done so in the past. You can pay one guy a fortune and not hurt you because he is the bell cow. He brings in all the revenue. See Felix and Cano before him. Signing Julio nt only brings in the revenue, it sells idiot fans that the Mariners actually spend money. They argue that point all the time and it is just wrong. Total payroll shows that, not individual contract.

So in summation, I have no clue.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never believed it was a rebuild for one. It was a way to buy 5 years of good grace from the fans. I mean the rebuild consisted of; 1-Draft better 2- Develop better 3- Remove big salary. The first two are baseball management 101. The third is just being cheap. I mean what did trading Cano really gain us? We lost an All-Star closer in the salary dump. Now we lost the main piece of that same trade in a salary dump. Sorry, I had to get that out of the way.

Now as far as the Castillo contract goes, no it makes zero sense. Neither does the Ray signing. So what happened in Stanton and cohorts lives in the last two years that changed the direction? Strictly the XFinity crap? Hard for me to believe. I mean Fubo also has it and there are still people buying the xfinity package so how much will actually be lost?

The Julio deal is easy to explain and I have done so in the past. You can pay one guy a fortune and not hurt you because he is the bell cow. He brings in all the revenue. See Felix and Cano before him. Signing Julio nt only brings in the revenue, it sells idiot fans that the Mariners actually spend money. They argue that point all the time and it is just wrong. Total payroll shows that, not individual contract.

He is.doing.buisness that way..know .but.they.should.
Not let him ..conitinue..with.
His..
Fingers...in the fudge cake..

Ya cant get.anything..done.
With someone's..paws..
In the cash register...
It's..
Mom..pop.buisness..
It's...aaaahh....

Cuz he's trying to.use.the money..twice..ya can't..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya cant.stop..a.dipper..from..
Dipping...
They will .keep .
Dipping.as long..as they are able..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witch .means .mariners don't have a chance..
Ever..
Ya gota kik.stanton.out.of.the.baseball.money.
(Company money)

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No owner.should be able to dable.below
2oo mil.of.company....money...and should.not be in the dicisions...on who..don't.ya have.an.
Other buisness .
To boonswoggle

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanton .has .the mariners .handcuffed..

Cuz he don't want to share money..
With employees..

That is the bottom line...
Ya gotta get .him.out.of...the money

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No there will be no mariners left..

To save .the mariners .ya gota get him out of..the baseball part..
Go be an owner...

My budget .is.230..mil.every.year...
There is.none..of.that
For stanton..

Mariners .part could easily be..300.mil.

But.stanton..is not happy with 1/2.at.the gate..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are not boke .Stanton's.
Taking all..the money .

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know..its bad business...
Cuz fans..
Know..baseball. players.know..

Everyone knows...get ya paws..
Out of company....money..

!!!!!!!!!!

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah reason.mariners can't have a baseball team..

Jon Stanton..gets jealous...
If to maney..baseball. players.are making
Money .
!!¡!!!!!!!!

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong..Stanton..the mariners made.
This.money..
Not you...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya gotta Kik owners.out.of company.
Operating budgets..
Ya cant have them in there .taking...

The mariners down to minor.leaguers.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cuz I can"t do buisness..
With

ass..regalia in the.....WAY..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You were right. I just felt it was a good idea to finally do it. Instead the Mariners always being stuck in purgatory. They had what 3 top 10 picks during the whole playoff drought? I was totally fine with trading Diaz, they didn’t need a closer going into the rebuild. My problem with the trading Diaz is they could’ve gotten a crap load more for him had they traded him 6 months earlier. They’d be the Orioles had they sold at that deadline IMO.

With Castillo all I am saying is that nearly all national media guys were shocked that Castillo signed that team friendly of a deal. So just use that and trade him. But with the whole Xfinity thing, no idea. It just seems so weird that Stanton built T Mobile by envisioning the future yet we are suppose to believe the Mariners will be crippled by linear television? Maybe in Pittsburgh or someplace but Seattle cord cutting was a big deal years ago. So it’s not like in their own back yard they couldn’t see the rubber would meet the road. Shit I said that in 2012 with the Pac 12 and I’m not an executive or someone who has ever built a Fortune 500 company.

But the thing with Julio is that he still isn’t really making money. Which is what I don’t get. I made the same rant when Dipoto brought up 2026 when this core was going to get dismantled. Julio, Kirby, Gilbert and Cal are making nothing compared to their production. So spend now and front load the crap out of it. It is something that has always confused me with these new analytics guys coming into baseball. Instead of doing NFL style contracts (where you don’t actually know the AAV) they seem to want to backload it or try to defer the money. When it seems like when the core way of building a roster is paying young guys way under value then front load the high priced guy then start the process all over once those young guys make money

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not.one baseball.team.in.mlb.could.
Operate..with Stanton..in.there operations..
Neither can mariners ...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were right. I just felt it was a good idea to finally do it. Instead the Mariners always being stuck in purgatory. They had what 3 top 10 picks during the whole playoff drought? I was totally fine with trading Diaz, they didn’t need a closer going into the rebuild. My problem with the trading Diaz is they could’ve gotten a crap load more for him had they traded him 6 months earlier. They’d be the Orioles had they sold at that deadline IMO.

With Castillo all I am saying is that nearly all national media guys were shocked that Castillo signed that team friendly of a deal. So just use that and trade him. But with the whole Xfinity thing, no idea. It just seems so weird that Stanton built T Mobile by envisioning the future yet we are suppose to believe the Mariners will be crippled by linear television? Maybe in Pittsburgh or someplace but Seattle cord cutting was a big deal years ago. So it’s not like in their own back yard they couldn’t see the rubber would meet the road. Shit I said that in 2012 with the Pac 12 and I’m not an executive or someone who has ever built a Fortune 500 company.

But the thing with Julio is that he still isn’t really making money. Which is what I don’t get. I made the same rant when Dipoto brought up 2026 when this core was going to get dismantled. Julio, Kirby, Gilbert and Cal are making nothing compared to their production. So spend now and front load the crap out of it. It is something that has always confused me with these new analytics guys coming into baseball. Instead of doing NFL style contracts (where you don’t actually know the AAV) they seem to want to backload it or try to defer the money. When it seems like when the core way of building a roster is paying young guys way under value then front load the high priced guy then start the process all over once those young guys make money
Jedi is running..the operation.good. and.
Proper..

But no one can deal.baseball...
With ass regalia .in the way.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%

Agreed

That is why I don't think there was ever going to be a 2026 explosion of contracts. I think all but Julio will be gone by then. Trading them for younger, cheaper talent. I think they used it as a dream to some and an excuse to others but never a reality.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100%

Agreed

That is why I don't think there was ever going to be a 2026 explosion of contracts. I think all but Julio will be gone by then. Trading them for younger, cheaper talent. I think they used it as a dream to some and an excuse to others but never a reality.
I find it hilarious that they hand out a 12/209mil to Julio and the Castillo contract kicked in. It's "OMG.... WE BROKE.. WE NO SPEND ANYMORE! TRADE TRADE TRADE! SELL!"

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hilarious that they hand out a 12/209mil to Julio and the Castillo contract kicked in. It's "OMG.... WE BROKE.. WE NO SPEND ANYMORE! TRADE TRADE TRADE! SELL!"
That is exactly what I think happened. What else could it be? This is so baffling from a team that continues to baffle.