• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now is the time to push hard on getting Verlander by simply buying his contract. Pay it all for all I care. We desperately need SP and he is still very good. A Paxton Verlander 1-2 drastically changes how this rotation looks immediately and gives us a great shot at holding the wild card spot and going into that 1 game with an ace while keeping another for game 1 of the alcs if it happens.

As much as I've talked about the Verlander thing, I'd rather us save our money and give Verlander type money to one of the top tier SP on the free agent market. They're all younger, and all better.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I've talked about the Verlander thing, I'd rather us save our money and give Verlander type money to one of the top tier SP on the free agent market. They're all younger, and all better.

One word: Both

It has taken us 16 years to be in this position and it may take another 16 years to get back there. I say go for it at this point. We have made dumb decisions in the past by going for it while not even in it. Now we are in it, we must go for it and then add to it next year. Of course I don't have a budget.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One word: Both

It has taken us 16 years to be in this position and it may take another 16 years to get back there. I say go for it at this point. We have made dumb decisions in the past by going for it while not even in it. Now we are in it, we must go for it and then add to it next year. Of course I don't have a budget.

And they can right and f off with their budget for 2 years. That organization owes the fans, even when Seattle and King County voted down Safeco, sports fans spoke up and got the recount, we have supported the shitty organization when in all honesty they should be drawing A's type crowds. Buy Verlander, but whatever free agent too. WTF is the point of having all these controllable guys if you aren't going to spend your entire budget on 5 guys.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, this team isn't going anywhere... We need at least 2 SP's to be competitive...

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuma+Gallardo+Smyly made $30M combined and they all could potentially be let go. That should open up some budget space for an expensive SP or two. Seager is getting an $8M raise though.

Hopefully ownership sees this window is closing and throws whatever it takes to get Darvish+Tanaka/Lynn/Arietta if not Verlander this season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuma+Gallardo+Smyly made $30M combined and they all could potentially be let go. That should open up some budget space for an expensive SP or two. Seager is getting an $8M raise though.

Hopefully ownership sees this window is closing and throws whatever it takes to get Darvish+Tanaka/Lynn/Arietta if not Verlander this season.

I hate Jerry, so preface this with that. Maybe ownership wouldn't allow for that budget raise, but the teams major weakness is the one area analytics despises. Starting pitchers are like punters to them. They have value but if you get good enough stats around them numbers come up in your favor.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Montgomery...oh ya traded for fat DH who can't hit in majors and has to play 1B. I keep forgetting that because it just never made sense so I thought it was just a dream. A bad dream.
A fat DH named Danny Valencia :scratch:

Because that's who they flipped the other piece of the Montgomery trade for.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are Dan V.

Easy to blunder, I guess. :)

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded Montgomery to the Cubs for Vogalbach and Paul Blackburn. We then traded Paul Blackburn for Danny Valencia.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We traded Montgomery to the Cubs for Vogalbach and Paul Blackburn. We then traded Paul Blackburn for Danny Valencia.

Yes I know that but what does Vogelbach have anything to do with Valencia and the point? Blackburn was a throw in in that deal and the Valencia trade was a salary dump by A's and they would have taken any of our garbage minor league pitchers to save several million dollars.

And to be accurate, we traded Montgomery and Pries for those two. Point being, there isn't one.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I know that but what does Vogelbach have anything to do with Valencia and the point? Blackburn was a throw in in that deal and the Valencia trade was a salary dump by A's and they would have taken any of our garbage minor league pitchers to save several million dollars.

And to be accurate, we traded Montgomery and Pries for those two. Point being, there isn't one.

Valencia and Vogelbach in a way are the same guy, neither has a future with the club.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Paxton out 3 weeks... Now what...?
I see only two choices:
- Take a huge gamble (Verlander, Cueto, etc.)
- Wait til next year

They aren't going to get the wild card with the current rotation of Miranda, Gonzalez, Rameriz, Gallardo and whoever the fifth guy is from the pool of Moore, Gaviglio, Bergman. If we had a lights out bullpen like the one we had in 2014 then there still might be a chance. But not with the current bullpen.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he may be drawing at straws but at least he's trying. I guess.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he may be drawing at straws but at least he's trying. I guess.

That's how I see it... I get the feeling the organization is trying everything they can to put a competitive team onto the field with hopes of competing for a postseason... I haven't felt that from the mgmt. over the past 15 years...

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot Blackburn was traded for him.

So JD traded Montgomery+Blackburn+Pries for Valencia+Vogelbach. Not looking so good atm.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I see it... I get the feeling the organization is trying everything they can to put a competitive team onto the field with hopes of competing for a postseason... I haven't felt that from the mgmt. over the past 15 years...
They are doing everything they can that does not involve spending money. So it really isn't everything. It's only everything that does not involve money.