• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing everything they can that does not involve spending money. So it really isn't everything. It's only everything that does not involve money.

Is it more than they have the past 15 years? Yes... They've already spent a lot of money more than we've been accustomed to... .

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valencia and Vogelbach in a way are the same guy, neither has a future with the club.

True but Valencia only cost us another AAAA pitcher who is like the 10 other AAAA pitchers we already have. And the Valencia has actually helped us win games (after April) where as Vogelbach has played the part of Montero.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners acquired LHP Andrew Albers from the braves for cash considerations.

The M's are dealing with a plethora of injuries in their starting rotation, so the 31-year-old southpaw adds quality depth there. Albers has spent the entire season at Triple-A Gwinnett where he posted a 2.61 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 115/19 K/BB ratio over 120 2/3 innings.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but Valencia only cost us another AAAA pitcher who is like the 10 other AAAA pitchers we already have. And the Valencia has actually helped us win games (after April) where as Vogelbach has played the part of Montero.

Not according to Jerry though, Alonso is now his 1B.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya and I don't get that.

Ya, me neither. It's not a bad trade but there is an entire rotation that needs addressed before a left handed power bat.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya and I don't get that.
I don't either. Valencia has much better than we have had at first base in a long time. Why mess with it? And why mess with it with a guy who has been in a slump for the last four weeks and has otherwise under-performed for the last six years of his career prior to this year?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have made multiple attempts to acquire right-hander Ervin Santanafrom the Twins, Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports. However, with the Twins currently ahead of the Mariners in the standings, Seattle’s dream of adding Santana is “on hold,” notes Divish. It’s unclear whether the Twins have placed Santana on revocable waivers this month, but as a proven mid-rotation type who’s under control through next season at a fair price ($13.5MM), it’s possible another team in front of the Mariners in the waiver pecking order would claim him. Moreover, the Twins aren’t all that interested in trading Santana, FanRag’s Jon Heyman suggested this week. Regardless, considering the injuries in their rotation – including to ace James Paxton– the playoff-contending Mariners need to find starting help. With that in mind, Divish lists a slew of righties (Marco Estrada, Andrew Cashner, Tyson Ross, Miguel Gonzalez, R.A. Dickey and Scott Feldman) and a southpaw (Derek Holland) as logical August trade targets.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bergman cleared waivers and was outrighted

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of off topic, but I know many of us have been drooling over the possibility of a Stanton trade for years - going back to the CBS days. I don't think anyone is caught off guard by Stanton's 50 HRs already this season, hell I'm surprised he hadn't done it sooner.

Would've been great if we had made a move for him back in the day.

Sort of irrelevant but just a thought that popped into my head. Apparently the Phillies, Cardinals and Rangers have all expressed strong interest in him.

That is definitely one hitter I'd prefer to stay in the NL.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of off topic, but I know many of us have been drooling over the possibility of a Stanton trade for years - going back to the CBS days. I don't think anyone is caught off guard by Stanton's 50 HRs already this season, hell I'm surprised he hadn't done it sooner.

Sort of irrelevant but just a thought that popped into my head. Apparently the Phillies, Cardinals and Rangers have all expressed strong interest in him.

Giants too. We don't have enough assets to trade for his mother.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been a Stanton fan for a long time, since he got in the league. Awesome player and putting up huge numbers this season. Only negative about him is staying healthy, always seems to land on the DL at some point. Would love to see his career numbers had he not had to deal with injuries in other seasons.

Would have been incredible to have him as a Mariner. But lets be honest the M's never do anything right.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was mentioned on this board recently:

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 4m4 minutes ago

Jon Heyman Retweeted David Lennon

yanks & red sox have acquired the most extra int'l bonus $ -- exactly $3.25M extra each. gearing up for otani derby? http://SportsHoopla.com/2wCyPUS

Jon Heyman added,

David LennonVerified account @DPLennon
Cashman en route to Japan to see Otani. Going to be interesting to see how plays out with new international rules & maybe posting changes.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shohei Otani is the greatest thing to happen to baseball in a century. Not only is he Japan’s best pitcher—featuring a high-90s fastball and three strong secondary offerings—he’s also one of the country’s best hitters. Blessed with a towering frame and unteachable athleticism, Otani dominates on the mound and absolutely rakes at the plate. He’s a staff ace who hits in the heart of the order on the days between his starts. He’s an athlete who, in 2016, was named the NPB Pacific League’s best pitcher and its best designated hitter—earning a 1.86 ERA in 20 starts and striking out 11.2 batters every nine innings, while putting up a 1.004 OPS, launching 22 home runs and reaching base at a .416 clip across nearly 400 plate appearances. He’s a player many scouts believe is ready to step into MLB today as a front-of-the-rotation starter or an everyday outfielder with a middle-of-the-order bat—or maybe both. He’s something baseball has not seen for lifetimes. He’s a modern day Babe Ruth. MLB - Sportsnet.ca
M's need to go all out for this guy. They won't, but they need to.

Add Otani and Darvish this off season and I'll go to a lot of games next season.

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Numbers have been pretty bad lately so likely are buying low on him. Shocking I know

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the Mariners way. He basically had a great first 2 months of the season and has sucked since. I am expecting Gallardo type numbers should be fun to watch.

I like the move. I just worry it's too little too late.

Leake hasn't pitched well since the All-Star break, but since 2013 he has been extremely consistent and is still only 29. From 2013-2017 he has started 150 games with a 3.90 ERA. That's a solid #3. In a Mariners rotation that consists of #5s and #6s, he's a huge upgrade.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the move. I just worry it's too little too late.

Leake hasn't pitched well since the All-Star break, but since 2013 he has been extremely consistent and is still only 29. From 2013-2017 he has started 150 games with a 3.90 ERA. That's a solid #3. In a Mariners rotation that consists of #5s and #6s, he's a huge upgrade.

Since leaving Cincy
2015 Giants 4.07
2016 STL 4.69
2017 STL 4.21