• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are about a month and a half away, and these types of threads usually generate some pretty fun/interesting speculation so I figured I'd throw this thread out there. I don't believe there has one been created yet.

The Mariners are at kind of a interesting/frustrating spot right now. The team is on a good run, guys will be getting healthy, and IMO there is enough talent on the team to compete for a wildcard spot.

But on the other hand, a lot of our core players are likely to start declining or already have begun that process and it may be a wise idea to start loading up for the future. And despite this speculation we could compete for a wildcard spot, in reality the team is still 3 games under .500 at this point.

What do ya'll think we should do? Wait it out? Be aggressive? Or start a fire sale?

If I were to guess based on the moves Dipoto made this past offseason, I'd imagine that his approach will be one that emphasizes trying to improve the team this year through youth that can contribute in the future as well. I'd be surprised to see him be an aggressive buyer, or an aggressive seller.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting. This is always one of my favorite threads each year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting. This is always one of my favorite threads each year.

Mariners are in an interesting position. I expect that they'll be a few games above or below .500 when it rolls around. If I were to speculate, I'd assume the roster looks pretty similar after the deadline as it did before.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners are in an interesting position. I expect that they'll be a few games above or below .500 when it rolls around. If I were to speculate, I'd assume the roster looks pretty similar after the deadline as it did before.

Probably true. I think they make a deal for a SP regardless of their position. Some kind of move for the future, but not a franchise type more of a #3 or #4. I wish I had a name to speculate about, but not there yet.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true. I think they make a deal for a SP regardless of their position. Some kind of move for the future, but not a franchise type more of a #3 or #4. I wish I had a name to speculate about, but not there yet.

Jose Quintana could be an interesting buy-low option. He's having a terrible year right now, but from 2013-2016 he had an ERA of 3.35 with 200 IP + each year.

Maybe a change of scenery could do him some good.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Quintana could be an interesting buy-low option. He's having a terrible year right now, but from 2013-2016 he had an ERA of 3.35 with 200 IP + each year.

Maybe a change of scenery could do him some good.

I agree, but they will want a ton for him even though he has struggled (except against us).

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I'll throw the first curve:

What if it's Flex the calls are about and they are offering two younger players, SP and a 1B do you take it now?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright I'll throw the first curve:

What if it's Flex the calls are about and they are offering two younger players, SP and a 1B do you take it now?

Felix won't go anywhere so it doesn't matter. I said trade him three years ago before this happened to him and he has veto power. Too late now he is ours for the remainder of his contract.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, I'd expect that would've lowered his value.

You would think, but he has a great contract and they don't have to trade him so they hold all the cards and you can't blame them because teams like Boston and Yanks will overpay if they feel they need him.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nelson Cruz and Yovani Gallardo for Jordan Montgomery and Greg Bird

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nellie's market is limited. Ideally, if we trade him we get back a young catcher. Zunino is playing out of his mind right now but we all know it won't last. We still need a long term solution. All of the Yankee's catchers not named Gary Sanchez are old and they suck.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The homer in me says we should get more back for Cruz, but that doesn't mean I am right. I like the two mentioned especially Montgomery in Safeco half the year. Bird struggled after a hot start and then injured again, but could be ripe for the taking.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The homer in me says we should get more back for Cruz, but that doesn't mean I am right. I like the two mentioned especially Montgomery in Safeco half the year. Bird struggled after a hot start and then injured again, but could be ripe for the taking.
I'm not a fan of Greg Bird. But I was trying to put a package together for Cruz. You're right, we should get more for Cruz because whoever gets him will have him for at least 220 games. But his market is limited to AL teams in contention that could use an upgrade at DH. The other most likely trade partner candidates would be Tampa, Baltimore, Minnesota, Houston.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Missed that one. Great post!
He's still young enough to build a new nucleus around in the event that they sell off the older players this July.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still young enough to build a new nucleus around in the event that they sell off the older players this July.

Indeed. Although with all likelihood the team will be around .500 by the trade deadline and only getting healthier. It's starting to look less and less likely that the team sells off many (if any) of our older key components.

Moving Cruz would be the right thing to do for the long-term, but if the team is a few games out of the wildcard come the trade deadline, it would be a difficult thing to do. Additionally, Cruz somehow appears to be defying age and is still hitting the cover off the ball, he could be very useful next year as well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. Although with all likelihood the team will be around .500 by the trade deadline and only getting healthier. It's starting to look less and less likely that the team sells off many (if any) of our older key components.

Moving Cruz would be the right thing to do for the long-term, but if the team is a few games out of the wildcard come the trade deadline, it would be a difficult thing to do. Additionally, Cruz somehow appears to be defying age and is still hitting the cover off the ball, he could be very useful next year as well.

So true. While trading Cruz while he has max value is smart, the flip side is that we wouldn't have anymore Cruz...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Giants still struggling, Johnny Cueto would be a nice add. Not cheap, but nice.