• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Locked in Rangers invade the Sewer in Oakland 04/22-04/24

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you polled the rangers fan base, probably 60-70% of them would hate the Odor contract. At least, the knowledgeable fans would.

I hate the Choo contract now but he is still a better hitter than most of our guys.

I tend to think it is more your opinion. Regardless of your opinion who is knowledgeable. This season is likely a wash so I want to see if he can cut it

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buchele brings up a good point re second base coverage on the steal. He and Oliver are the better analysts on Fox Rangers
Glad to hear Buchele say something like that. I like what Santana has been doing but he also cost a caught stealing the other night as he went too far in front of the bag and could not reach the base runner behind him. I also think that Odor may have had a chance on that grounder up the middle in the 9th but I am not blaming Santana as that would have been a tough play. Just think overall Odor is more athletic on plays like that. But I want us to find a place for Santana on the roster.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the Choo contract now but he is still a better hitter than most of our guys.

I tend to think it is more your opinion. Regardless of your opinion who is knowledgeable. This season is likely a wash so I want to see if he can cut it

Choo has done well this year and as long as the guy stays healthy, he is earning his contract. My big issue with him has been his health.

Do you really want to see David Murphy 2.0 where wash kept running him out there to strike out and fail?

I’m not saying that will be Odor’s fate, but I haven’t ruled out the possibility. The guy can stink it up like no other.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear Buchele say something like that. I like what Santana has been doing but he also cost a caught stealing the other night as he went too far in front of the bag and could not reach the base runner behind him. I also think that Odor may have had a chance on that grounder up the middle in the 9th but I am not blaming Santana as that would have been a tough play. Just think overall Odor is more athletic on plays like that. But I want us to find a place for Santana on the roster.
I do not want to see Santana wasted the way Profar was. He has played CF and we need one. He can also play 2b if Odor can not come back from injury. Either way he has talent we need to keep. Guys like Odor and DDJ have hung around long enough. Time to win a firm position or move on.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want to see Santana wasted the way Profar was. He has played CF and we need one. He can also play 2b if Odor can not come back from injury. Either way he has talent we need to keep. Guys like Odor and DDJ have hung around long enough. Time to win a firm position or move on.

A lot of that fell on Profar and Wash. Not getting surgery immediately hurt his career. He got continued reps last year and was able to land us prospects where we could get nothing for him previous. He was in the wrong window unfortunately and although not nearly as athletic as Odor was more baseball smart

His value hurt him not being able to play SS due to injury.

I can't see DDJ being in our future other than a bench piece and really Tocci can do that more cheaply

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ready to write Odor off.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor league report :

Crouse - 6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO.

Odor - 0-3 and 2Ks

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What she the difference letting him rot on the bench? Message sent is you have an expensive UIF. Also FWIW he is a much better 2B than Santana but yes we need to find a way to get Santana reps

Hey next year I may think differently.
There needs to be some messages sent at times. Tough messages.

My whole point is the long term though. This situation with Odor coming back soon only brought up the topic. Overall, the team is going to have to stop letting mistakes get compounded by refusing to admit them. They are going to have to deal with them. Lots of personnel decisions regarding the roster and the lineup are going to have to be made over the course of the next few years. Baseball politics needs to not be a consideration if we are going to perform at our best.

Sometimes you are going to have to have expensive backups if you have a better starter who is cheaper. When that is the case then that needs to be the way it is. Sometimes we may even have to release an expensive player and admit his contract was a mistake. The message sent will be rhat we are willing to do what it takes to win, that winning is most important.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor will put together a really hot streak at some point this year. Some will say he has finally turned a corner and that he has things figured out. When that happens don't take the cheese.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor will put together a really hot streak at some point this year. Some will say he has finally turned a corner and that he has things figured out. When that happens don't take the cheese.

That’s the big issue with him. We’ve never seen him do it consistently.

He always has a good month wrapped around 2 bad months on average and it’s explained away by the front office / announcers on tv / coaches / other players as a “learning moment” and he’s “about to turn the corner”.

Well.....we’ve been waiting for several years at this point.

The guy must fit in like a glove and be socially loved by everyone, because his play on the field has never warranted the treatment he’s received.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There needs to be some messages sent at times. Tough messages.

My whole point is the long term though. This situation with Odor coming back soon only brought up the topic. Overall, the team is going to have to stop letting mistakes get compounded by refusing to admit them. They are going to have to deal with them. Lots of personnel decisions regarding the roster and the lineup are going to have to be made over the course of the next few years. Baseball politics needs to not be a consideration if we are going to perform at our best.

Sometimes you are going to have to have expensive backups if you have a better starter who is cheaper. When that is the case then that needs to be the way it is. Sometimes we may even have to release an expensive player and admit his contract was a mistake. The message sent will be rhat we are willing to do what it takes to win, that winning is most important.

Other than the team not playing Profar during Wash year and having MY too high in the lineup which mistakes do they need to stop? We did not stop on Gallo which is now paying dividends or did we take the cheese on that? I would not say Calhoun is better than what we are putting out there at DH or LF currently.

In theory I absolutely agree there is a time to cut your losses. I just don't think the time is now. BTW I hope they extend Odor rehab stint until he makes some progress at the plate

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the team not playing Profar during Wash year and having MY too high in the lineup which mistakes do they need to stop? We did not stop on Gallo which is now paying dividends or did we take the cheese on that? I would not say Calhoun is better than what we are putting out there at DH or LF currently.

In theory I absolutely agree there is a time to cut your losses. I just don't think the time is now. BTW I hope they extend Odor rehab stint until he makes some progress at the plate

Not going to happen. Odor is probably spooked by Santana playing so well and he’s rushing back ASAP to get him out of the lineup.

He doesn’t have to earn anything or show any progress here because...... he has a pony, a contract, he punched Bautista, and he’s Gatorade bro’s with Elvis.

Pretty much all off the field reasons.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not either. Thought I was clear on that. He needs to come back and earn a position with a fair opportunity.
The hung around part got me on that one. If I misunderstood sorry about that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparisons - Santana Avg-HR-ABs 319-7-405/215-0-261/240-2-233/202-4-168/179-0-32/this year 333-2-38
Odor - 259-9-386/261-16-425/271-33-632/204-30-607/253-18-474/this year 167-0-42.
For us we have been upset with Odor's last 2 years but when you start comparing to Santana it does not seem any worse than what Santana has thrown out there in the past. Plus Odor has more athletic ability than Santana. I do hope we find a spot for Santana I just am not sure it will be 2b. At least not for now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparisons - Santana Avg-HR-ABs 319-7-405/215-0-261/240-2-233/202-4-168/179-0-32/this year 333-2-38
Odor - 259-9-386/261-16-425/271-33-632/204-30-607/253-18-474/this year 167-0-42.
For us we have been upset with Odor's last 2 years but when you start comparing to Santana it does not seem any worse than what Santana has thrown out there in the past. Plus Odor has more athletic ability than Santana. I do hope we find a spot for Santana I just am not sure it will be 2b. At least not for now.
Neither Santana nor anyone else will unseat Odor for at least this season and next and more than likely, not for the remainder of his contract. Like it or not, JD and company are married to the idea of him starting.

I am not saying Santana is any kind of longterm answer at 2B. I am not sure about that at all. When comparing him to Odor one thing that needs to be considered is that Odor has always had the chance to play every day, and Santana was only afforded that opportunity in his first season when he hit very well. Odor always gets the opportunity to work himself out of prolonged slumps no matter how long or how deep they are. I wonder what Santana's numbers would look like had he been given that opportunity.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither Santana nor anyone else will unseat Odor for at least this season and next and more than likely, not for the remainder of his contract. Like it or not, JD and company are married to the idea of him starting.

I am not saying Santana is any kind of longterm answer at 2B. I am not sure about that at all. When comparing him to Odor one thing that needs to be considered is that Odor has always had the chance to play every day, and Santana was only afforded that opportunity in his first season when he hit very well. Odor always gets the opportunity to work himself out of prolonged slumps no matter how long or how deep they are. I wonder what Santana's numbers would look like had he been given that opportunity.
I thought about that as well in regards to consistent playing time. So good point. But in raw power and Odor's improvement last year on defense that to me gives him the edge regardless. But as many on here feel I do hate to completely shut Santana out while he is on a roll.