• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Houston "you have a problem", the Texas Rangers 9/14-17

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOUSTON AT TEXAS

Time: 08:05 P.M. EST Venue: Globe Life Park in Arlington

Bragging rights usually were at stake in past years when the Houston Astroswould meet the Texas Rangers.

There's much more on the line this time.

The biggest series in the history of this rivalry gets underway Monday night in Arlington, where the charging Rangers attempt to cut into the Astros' slim lead atop the AL West.

Texas (75-67) trailed Houston (77-66) by eight games before a three-game sweep of their Lone Star State rivals at Globe Life Park in early August began a 24-14 stretch that has pulled the Rangers within 1 1/2. The Astros, who have held at least a share of first place since July 28, are 17-20 over that same span.

"Obviously, we want to face the team that is in front of us," Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre said. "We're looking forward to getting our chance to climb up to where we want to be."

The margin would have been further reduced if not for Houston's improbable rally Sunday in Anaheim, where it scored five times with two outs in the ninth inning for a 5-3 victory over the Angels. Preston Tucker's homer was the first of five straight hits off Huston Street, capped by Jed Lowrie's pinch-hit three-run shot.

"It's about as dramatic of a momentum shift or comeback as you're going to see," Lowrie said. "But what's made this team great all year is that we've literally fought to the last pitch."

Texas kept pace by matching a season high with four homers, including two by Beltre, in a 12-4 rout of Oakland. Shin-Soo Choo added a two-run blast and finished 3 for 4 with three runs scored.

The Astros, second in the majors with 195 homers, have hit nine in four games and 17 over their last nine, with Lowrie launching three in his past eight. Carlos Gomez has two on this road trip but was scratched from Sunday's lineup with a sore left side.

That level of proficiency will be tested by Cole Hamels (3-1, 4.07), who hasn't allowed a homer in five straight starts after permitting five in his first two with Texas.

The Rangers have prevailed in each of those previous five outings, including Tuesday's 9-6 triumph at Seattle in which Hamels surrendered four runs in seven innings to win a third consecutive decision.

Hamels hasn't faced Houston since a 12-6 win while with Philadelphia on Sept. 14, 2012 - his only victory in his past six meetings with the Astros. The key trade deadline pickup is 1-3 with a 6.31 ERA over that span.

He'll have to be careful with Evan Gattis, who's 3 for 9 with two homers against him.

While Hamels has been stingy with the long ball, Scott Kazmir (7-10, 2.63) has allowed seven in 40 innings while going 1-5 with a 4.28 ERA over a seven-start stretch. The fellow midseason acquisition was reached for two homers and four runs in six innings of Tuesday's 4-0 loss to his former Oakland team.

Kazmir also has lost four straight road starts, a sequence that began with a 4-3 defeat at Texas on Aug. 5. He allowed just one earned run in 5 2-3 innings, however, and is 2-1 with a 1.35 ERA in four season matchups with Texas.

Choo is 7 for 22 with a homer against Kazmir, but Beltre (1 for 8 this season) and Prince Fielder (2 for 18 career) have struggled, though Fielder homered off him May 1 in Arlington.

Houston, 29-42 on the road and 2-4 on this 10-game trip, is 7-20 at Globe Life Park since 2012 and has lost 11 of its last 15 overall against Texas. The Rangers are 8-4 in the season series.

Must win series if we want to have hopes for the AL West Divison Title

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how Napoli handles a ball hit his way. I hope a defensive blunder in LF does not cost us the game. Runs will be at a premium in this series. Now watch the opposite happen.

I do like that Gimenez is starting again. I would like to see him catch 75% of the games the remainder of the season.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli in LF is playing with fire, IMO

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe that a series that has been worthless for the most part other than helping the Rangers record in 2011-2014 is a series that could help determine the AL West.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better Prince dh Mitch lf Nap 1st. if he wants all three in the line up.
I wondered about that myself since Mitch has played RF even though he runs like a turtle.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see how Napoli handles a ball hit his way. I hope a defensive blunder in LF does not cost us the game. Runs will be at a premium in this series. Now watch the opposite happen.

I do like that Gimenez is starting again. I would like to see him catch 75% of the games the remainder of the season.

Me too. Gimmy has fit in nicely and been doing a good job behind the plate and producing some key hits as well.

Angerhaus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget, this series could have a huge affect on the wildcard too. The Twins are only 1 game behind Texas.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Gimmy has fit in nicely and been doing a good job behind the plate and producing some key hits as well.
MM in rf will work too. Choo and DDJ would probably have to switch positions. I don't know if this would buy anything but all options might be considered.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, i'd put Mitch in LF. (since he's actually played the OF some). I realize he's had ankle issues in the past...and that's probably why he isnt in the OF now....but yikes. I dont like Napoli in LF.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD on the fan earlier noted that Nap has been working out there in LF for a while hoping to get more at bats. He also that DDJ range should help a bit. Of course no one is saying we are getting a plus OF but then Rua was an experiment out there last year as well. If we get a lead in later innings someone will get pulled. We need RHB and evidently want Nap Prince and. Mitch all in the lineup

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD on the fan earlier noted that Nap has been working out there in LF for a while hoping to get more at bats. He also that DDJ range should help a bit. Of course no one is saying we are getting a plus OF but then Rua was an experiment out there last year as well. If we get a lead in later innings someone will get pulled. We need RHB and evidently want Nap Prince and. Mitch all in the lineup
Well I hope it all works out.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli in LF makes no sense, just sit Fielder/MM and play Rua in LF
That will work as well but JD made it clear they wanted MM NAP and Prince all in at the same time. Oh well, hope it works out

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli in LF makes no sense, just sit Fielder/MM and play Rua in LF
They do make some strange decisions sometimes. I don't understand this at all.