• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

July Trade Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No buying of course but shouldn't they deal Dyson and McCutchen for some ok prospects?
That I am fine with but that seems like likely than just standing pat. Buying seems more more disruptive to either the payroll, the farm or both.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I really want them to target is no trades at the deadline. How do half season rentals fit in to what the FO is doing with this team?

Well yes, but if they are going to buy ('strategic buy' as they're calling it), I'd rather see them take a shot on a guy that has some upside beyond this season.

Duvall has been pretty unlucky this year, but his defense is still really (surprisingly) good. If his bat could turn around, he'd be one of our best hitters.

Where does Dozier play next year, if they re-sign him? Why would they even consider Adam Jones?

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yes, but if they are going to buy ('strategic buy' as they're calling it), I'd rather see them take a shot on a guy that has some upside beyond this season.

Duvall has been pretty unlucky this year, but his defense is still really (surprisingly) good. If his bat could turn around, he'd be one of our best hitters.

Where does Dozier play next year, if they re-sign him? Why would they even consider Adam Jones?
I agree. The links with guys like Dozier and Jones make no sense. That doesn't seem like "strategic buying".

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The links with guys like Dozier and Jones make no sense. That doesn't seem like "strategic buying".

Yeah it sounds like desperation to catch lightning in a bottle.

The winter will be very interesting.

Obviously with cutch and pence off the books an of in fa will be a possibility, no?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it sounds like desperation to catch lightning in a bottle.

The winter will be very interesting.

Obviously with cutch and pence off the books an of in fa will be a possibility, no?
I'd hope the Giants would really weigh their internal options (Williamson, Duggar, Slater and Shaw) before picking up someone in FA. Harper is looking more and more like a bad idea, for the cost.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who on this roster cannot be traded?

Just saw that Altuve is going to the DL. DOn't know the Astros' backup for him, but if Panik comes back OK, can he be moved? Or KT? Or even Hanson?

Like assuming the Giants decided to go open for business? The only players who *can't* be traded are Cueto, Shark and probably Melancon. Even if the Giants paid all of the salary for those guys, I don't think anyone is touching them.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like there's been a shift in the wind. Jon Morosi is reporting that the Giants are entertaining offers for some of their veterans, specifically naming McCutchen.

Other sources have since backed him up

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like there's been a shift in the wind. Jon Morosi is reporting that the Giants are entertaining offers for some of their veterans, specifically naming McCutchen.

Other sources have since backed him up
Whoa. That is unexpected. With only a day plus a few hours left, though, I've got to wonder if anyone really gets moved.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa. That is unexpected. With only a day plus a few hours left, though, I've got to wonder if anyone really gets moved.
I have a hard time believing they were simply hangingg up any time anyone called up to this point. I also don’t buy the fact that nothing happens without it being reported by twitter verse.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavs: Giants are getting calls on their relievers, but they're not yet in sell mode | NBCS Bay Area

Will Smith is getting the most calls, but the Giants don't want to trade him yet. Dyson is most likely to be moved. Watson is surprisingly getting few calls. Cutch interest is mild.

Well, at least they seem to be considering the guys that make sense (Dyson and Cutch). Pavs notes that both oculd carry over into August

I would love Smith in Boston.

he is a GUY.

Boston needs a GUY. Not bullpen depth. They need a dominant 8th inning guy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper is apparently available on the trade market. Machado got traded.... does Harper? Are the Giants interested?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's always an August trade as well
Cutch isn’t getting paid all that much thus season. I have a hard time believing he would make it through waivers.

Although, I have been surprised by waiver clears in the past...

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Dozier has now come up in the rumor mill. I'd much rather have him than Jones, but I still don't really like the idea of giving up prospects for him, a rental.

The guy I really want them to target is Adam Duvall
Too late. He went to Braves.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutch isn’t getting paid all that much thus season. I have a hard time believing he would make it through waivers.

Although, I have been surprised by waiver clears in the past...

The overwhelming belief from what I've read is that he will. I agree that's surprising as well, but everything I've seen seems pretty confident about it.