• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

July Trade Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Optimistic Giants in buy mode at Deadline
"They're every bit of a .500 team," the source said. "No one move changes their fortune, but they could certainly add to the bullpen and lengthen their lineup."
giphy.gif

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some of y'all hate them but man the A's are the best story in baseball right now. I'm happy for them, hope they do some damage. And Khris Davis holy moley.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know some of y'all hate them but man the A's are the best story in baseball right now. I'm happy for them, hope they do some damage. And Khris Davis holy moley.

I agree. I have nothing against the A's. Since I live in the area, I get both games and I haven't been shy about watching them. Definitely a lot of fun right now

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to be an A's hater back in the early 90s, when I first got into baseball, mainly because of the '89 WS but also because of the perceived arrogance of the team - Canseco, Ricky, McGwire, Eckersley. But I changed when I would catch Modesto A's games and watched a bunch of those guys make it with the big club. It became easy to root for them. I'm glad that they are having such a good season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to be an A's hater back in the early 90s, when I first got into baseball, mainly because of the '89 WS but also because of the perceived arrogance of the team - Canseco, Ricky, McGwire, Eckersley. But I changed when I would catch Modesto A's games and watched a bunch of those guys make it with the big club. It became easy to root for them. I'm glad that they are having such a good season.

Very valid reason for Giants fans to hate the A's. I was just too young at the time to really care

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joakim Soria, a 34 year old reliever with a $10m team option for next year, just netted the White Sox an intriguing arm and low level lottery ticket.

Kodi Mederios is a mid-tier prospect for the Brewers, similar to the mold of Garrett Williams. Good stuff, can't really control it, lefty that probably ends up in the Pen.

Brewers Acquire Joakim Soria

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, Adam Jones' name keeps floating around in relation to the Giants. He's making $17m this season, so probably has around $6.5m left owed.

Jones has a pretty nice Bell Curve in terms of career numbers. Unfortunately (and not too surprisingly) he's on the wrong side of that curve. He hasn't been a good defender in 3 years. I suspect he'd play CF though and totally collapse out defense. His bat is not really an upgrade over anyone, except maybe Pence. But Jones isn't going to play the 4th OF role behind Duggar, which could be pretty disastrous.

I hope this is false, but the guy reporting it (Bob Nightengale) seems to have a good source within the Giants' org. Been all over a few things lately.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usual disclaimer: the FO knows 1000x more than I, but this seems like a really bad idea.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usual disclaimer: the FO knows 1000x more than I, but this seems like a really bad idea.

I tend to agree, but sometimes those moves come around that are so clearly a mistake that it really makes you wonder what's going on up there. This would be one.

FWIW, this goes completely against everything the Giants have said they're attempting to do: stay under the tax, improve OF defense, acquire non-rentals. So for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree, but sometimes those moves come around that are so clearly a mistake that it really makes you wonder what's going on up there. This would be one.

FWIW, this goes completely against everything the Giants have said they're attempting to do: stay under the tax, improve OF defense, acquire non-rentals. So for now I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

It did say if they get financial help.

Balt Taking on a bad deal to offset could keep them under the tax.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be the best story, but the Bucs are the hottest team, just coming off an eleven game win streak, and closing the gap w/cubs/beers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did say if they get financial help.

Balt Taking on a bad deal to offset could keep them under the tax.

They could take on Pence (money matches perfectly), but he has a no-trade clause and probably isn't waiving it. I doubt the O's are taking on any other contracts unless the Giants are giving up a top-prospect, but then at that point the Giants are giving away one of their few potential blue-chippers for a rental on a team that's going to finish around 79-83 wins and no playoffs.

For me, any way you slice an Adam Jones trade is disastrous for the Giants. Even if the Giants got him for free, he'd take away time from a superior CF defender, and his bat isn't enough of an upgrade to off-set that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could take on Pence (money matches perfectly), but he has a no-trade clause and probably isn't waiving it. I doubt the O's are taking on any other contracts unless the Giants are giving up a top-prospect, but then at that point the Giants are giving away one of their few potential blue-chippers for a rental on a team that's going to finish around 79-83 wins and no playoffs.

For me, any way you slice an Adam Jones trade is disastrous for the Giants. Even if the Giants got him for free, he'd take away time from a superior CF defender, and his bat isn't enough of an upgrade to off-set that.
But but but...

He is Adam Jones! The star from the All-Star game just a couple years ago!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Dozier has now come up in the rumor mill. I'd much rather have him than Jones, but I still don't really like the idea of giving up prospects for him, a rental.

The guy I really want them to target is Adam Duvall

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Dozier has now come up in the rumor mill. I'd much rather have him than Jones, but I still don't really like the idea of giving up prospects for him, a rental.

The guy I really want them to target is Adam Duvall
The guy I really want them to target is no trades at the deadline. How do half season rentals fit in to what the FO is doing with this team?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy I really want them to target is no trades at the deadline. How do half season rentals fit in to what the FO is doing with this team?

No buying of course but shouldn't they deal Dyson and McCutchen for some ok prospects?