• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2019 season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW Huskies WR Chico McClatcher is back. But can he be better than ever?
^^^ Goes to that convo we had about him the other day @seahawksfan234.

A healthy, refocused Chico could be the next Pettis if not Ross since he has some skill sets somewhere in between both.

I'll be surprised if he makes it through the season without some kind of significant injury so in that aspect he's kind of like Harvin for the Seahawks: A great toy you look forward to using until it inevitably breaks. If he can make it through to the first Bye (after the duck game) I like their chances at reaching 10 wins in the regular season a lot more.

Particularly if Puka or one of the others gives that complementary function that Pettis did for Ross back in Browning's first season. Clearly that went a long way for the offense despite the shit play calling and issues on the line. Add a high functioning threat at TE and lets see what happens.

That's the thing that got me last year. Hamdan may not be experienced as a commander of an offense, but he damned sure should be able to focus on WR development since that's where he came from and it just wasn't there last year.

I still say the season hinges more on the leap forward at receiver than any other single offensive position, including QB.

Funny you tagged me in this because I just read the article about 30 minutes and was going to post it here.

It's also funny you make the comparison to John Ross or Dante Pettis, then mentioned Percy Harvin. In terms of Chico's skill-set he actually reminds me more of a Percy Harvin type than Pettis or Ross. I see Chico as more of a catch and run type guy who is great on screens and in space with the ball in his hands, but he isn't the type of guy I expect to make many contested catches. He played running back in HS and really does seem more like a scat-back playing WR.

One of the cool things with a guy like that is you can line him up in the backfield and then send him out wide and have him matched up against a linebacker, but he'd also be reliable taking a handoff.

When it comes to injury concerns, I'm not sure. He really only had one substantial injury in his football career and should be relatively fresh since he hasn't really had all too many touches since his ACL injury. He's a smaller guy in terms of height, but he's listed at 184lbs and the dude looks fucking shredded for someone as quick as he is. If he was 2 inches taller with his frame he'd probably be over 200. Also Percy Harvin had "migraines" and I wonder how serious many of his injuries really were.

Petersen tends to prefer vets at WR, but I'd really like to see some of the younger guys get more of a shot. I hate to say it but I'm not all that optimistic about our more experienced WRs. If they're still not getting separation after 3/4 years, I'm not sure how much that is going to change. Puka runs such smooth and fluid routes I really want to see him get a shot.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW Huskies WR Chico McClatcher is back. But can he be better than ever?
^^^ Goes to that convo we had about him the other day @seahawksfan234.

A healthy, refocused Chico could be the next Pettis if not Ross since he has some skill sets somewhere in between both.

I'll be surprised if he makes it through the season without some kind of significant injury so in that aspect he's kind of like Harvin for the Seahawks: A great toy you look forward to using until it inevitably breaks. If he can make it through to the first Bye (after the duck game) I like their chances at reaching 10 wins in the regular season a lot more.

Particularly if Puka or one of the others gives that complementary function that Pettis did for Ross back in Browning's first season. Clearly that went a long way for the offense despite the shit play calling and issues on the line. Add a high functioning threat at TE and lets see what happens.

That's the thing that got me last year. Hamdan may not be experienced as a commander of an offense, but he damned sure should be able to focus on WR development since that's where he came from and it just wasn't there last year.

I still say the season hinges more on the leap forward at receiver than any other single offensive position, including QB.

Oh one last comment regarding what's in bold:

IMO it's hard to say how much separations the WRs were really getting. Browning looked hesitant to make certain throws in tight coverage. There were times he would step up as if he was going to throw, then held the ball. Could've been trying to shake the defenders off, but my biggest criticism aside from his arm strength was his hesitation. Additionally, due to camera angles it's difficult to determine how much separation the WRs were really getting.

Hopefully Junior Adams will make a big difference.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jobs Easons to lose boys...

Seeing a ton of tweets from reporters how crisp he’s looked so far in camp

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jobs Easons to lose boys...

Seeing a ton of tweets from reporters how crisp he’s looked so far in camp
Haener has had his moments as well. Both have made some big plays and both still make too many forced plays/ mistakes. Shorty is probably better on the run but Eason can side arm 50y in the air.

I doubt we hear who is starting against Eastern until a few days ahead at the earliest. I would also expect both to play in that game. We will see who they like the following week vs Cal.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Lake has mentioned they expect freshman CB Trent McDuffie will play at least 4 games this year, possibly more which will mean no redshirt status for him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's about where im at. 10-2 but it wouldn't shock me to see 9-3. 8-4 would be really bad on that schedule.

Agreed. If I were Vegas I'd put the over/under at 9.5. Thank God our most difficult games are at home or this season likely would go quite poorly.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haener has had his moments as well. Both have made some big plays and both still make too many forced plays/ mistakes. Shorty is probably better on the run but Eason can side arm 50y in the air.

I doubt we hear who is starting against Eastern until a few days ahead at the earliest. I would also expect both to play in that game. We will see who they like the following week vs Cal.

I agree that it's unlikely the starter is named until the Eastern game. I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding the practices and apparently Eason hasn't thrown an interception yet. It sounds like he has been playing relatively safe and attempting mostly shorter passes.

It also sounds like the DBs have all been playing really well so far. Not sure if that says more about the WRs or the DBs themselves.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Lake has mentioned they expect freshman CB Trent McDuffie will play at least 4 games this year, possibly more which will mean no redshirt status for him.

I think we could see a number of true freshman who won't be redshirted.

It's looking like Cam Williams will be starting at safety right away. Apparently Laiatu Latu (OLB) has been an absolute force rushing the passer so he's a candidate as well, but I think he's mostly been working with the second team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had been meaning to post this and can't remember if I did or not. I found this quite interesting. Someone asked Christian Caple of The Athletic about Browning and this is what he said:

Washington Mailbag: Let’s talk freshman standouts, Jake...

"What do Jake Browning’s comments about fixing his mechanics this offseason in the lead-up to the NFL Draft say about the coaching staff at UW? If this was such a simple mechanical fix to an obvious problem, why didn’t the UW coaches figure this out and solve the issue? This seems really strange. Isn’t one of the purposes of a quarterback coach to improve the mechanics and throwing motion of their quarterbacks? — Bob N.

I think it’s a bit of a misnomer to describe it as a “simple mechanical fix.” After the 2018 season ended, Browning spent two months working with the team at 3DQB in Huntington Beach, Calif., focusing on using his hips and torso to create more torque and put more strength behind his throws. 3DQB uses “elite biomechanics training combined with motion analysis” to help quarterbacks improve their velocity. A lot goes into it.

That all requires a lot of time and energy, and it’s not the kind of thing to which Browning could have dedicated himself while attending classes and tending to all of the duties required of a Pac-12 starting quarterback. He told me there was a thought before his senior season that he might try to work with 3DQB in the summer — he first learned about the company from offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan — but the logistics just didn’t work out. And there’s no way he could have done anything like this between his sophomore and junior seasons, when he was recovering from shoulder surgery.

It’s also worth noting that arm strength isn’t the same priority for college coaches as it is for NFL evaluators. As much as folks like to criticize Browning, the guy helped UW win a lot of games the past four seasons and finished his career with a school-record 12,296 passing yards and a completion percentage of 64.6. Would the Huskies’ offense have been more dynamic if Browning had a stronger arm? Of course. But there are only so many hours in the day, and only so many days in the year, and the kind of hours required of Browning to improve his arm strength at 3DQB probably just weren’t available to him as a college student. He isn’t the first player to finish his college career, dedicate himself to improving a perceived weakness, then show up at the NFL Scouting Combine and his school’s pro day looking better than he did in college."

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had been meaning to post this and can't remember if I did or not. I found this quite interesting. Someone asked Christian Caple of The Athletic about Browning and this is what he said:

Washington Mailbag: Let’s talk freshman standouts, Jake...

"What do Jake Browning’s comments about fixing his mechanics this offseason in the lead-up to the NFL Draft say about the coaching staff at UW? If this was such a simple mechanical fix to an obvious problem, why didn’t the UW coaches figure this out and solve the issue? This seems really strange. Isn’t one of the purposes of a quarterback coach to improve the mechanics and throwing motion of their quarterbacks? — Bob N.

I think it’s a bit of a misnomer to describe it as a “simple mechanical fix.” After the 2018 season ended, Browning spent two months working with the team at 3DQB in Huntington Beach, Calif., focusing on using his hips and torso to create more torque and put more strength behind his throws. 3DQB uses “elite biomechanics training combined with motion analysis” to help quarterbacks improve their velocity. A lot goes into it.

That all requires a lot of time and energy, and it’s not the kind of thing to which Browning could have dedicated himself while attending classes and tending to all of the duties required of a Pac-12 starting quarterback. He told me there was a thought before his senior season that he might try to work with 3DQB in the summer — he first learned about the company from offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan — but the logistics just didn’t work out. And there’s no way he could have done anything like this between his sophomore and junior seasons, when he was recovering from shoulder surgery.

It’s also worth noting that arm strength isn’t the same priority for college coaches as it is for NFL evaluators. As much as folks like to criticize Browning, the guy helped UW win a lot of games the past four seasons and finished his career with a school-record 12,296 passing yards and a completion percentage of 64.6. Would the Huskies’ offense have been more dynamic if Browning had a stronger arm? Of course. But there are only so many hours in the day, and only so many days in the year, and the kind of hours required of Browning to improve his arm strength at 3DQB probably just weren’t available to him as a college student. He isn’t the first player to finish his college career, dedicate himself to improving a perceived weakness, then show up at the NFL Scouting Combine and his school’s pro day looking better than he did in college."

I believe this was my exact quote when this crap came out that Browning was playing the coaching staff for his poor arm strength...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got kind of busy this week and missed a few of the fall camp articles. This one from Tuesday's had some good info on the QB battle...
Impressions from Day 5 of UW fall camp: Husky secondary feasts on opposing quarterbacks
Jacob Eason has still not thrown an interception in fall camp.
He for sure threw too many in spring. Hope this continues.
The UW defense tallied a total of four interceptions on Tuesday. Two of them were thrown by redshirt freshman Jacob Sirmon...
Sophomore Jake Haener also threw an interception in the 7-on-7 drill, when redshirt freshman cornerback Kyler Gordon cleanly jumped an out route intended for wide receiver Ty Jones and dived for the pick.

The last interception of the day was surrendered by Dylan Morris....
So the DB's aren't dropping off.

Haener to Westover
That’s probably not a connection you’ll see much this season. Still, it paid dividends on Tuesday, providing the offense’s only touchdown of the day. Haener found Westover for a roughly 20-yard strike, placing the ball high in traffic for his 6-3 tight end to haul in with a leaping grab. The throw-and-catch capped off an 80-yard drive, which also included two completions to Jones and another to 262-pound tight end Devin Culp.
Again, Haener can move the ball. Needs more of these to keep building his confidence. Just has to stop forcing plays and allowing stupid ints.

Eason took the first starting reps for the second consecutive practice and was fairly accurate, though primarily for short gains. By my count, he finished 10-17 on the day, with the highlights being a play-action completion to tight end Hunter Bryant across the middle on second-and-15 for a first down and a slant to streaking wideout Andre Baccellia. His final series of the day resulted in a Peyton Henry 39-yard field goal (which freshman kicker Tim Horn missed).
Who doesn't want to see that arm go deep in Husky stadium? Glad to see they are keeping him focused on the bread and butter plays.

On the whole, Eason continues to look like a more confident, accurate quarterback than the one that produced inconsistent performances throughout the spring.
I'd like to say he's too experienced to not clean up his game and maintain that, but we've seen it before. Kids that are prone to forcing plays have a hard time preventing boneheaded mistakes. It's a good sign he is doing better, but a long way to go.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW trending up, the two main cali schools trending down.
Quietly building the strongest program in the conference.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sea-times with the projected starting lineup for the start of the season.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019teamswin.jpg