• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2019 season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I had your optimism. I really think either QB will be making lots of mistakes. If they don't find a receiver that can take the top off the defense it's going ti look like last year's offense only now without Gaskin.

With the way that Petersen and Hamden design their offense - and I have no reason to assume it'll change drastically in 2019 - I think mistakes in terms of turnovers from him will be minimized, but I believe fans are going to be extremely frustrated when they see Eason make a throw that many NFL QBs can't make then the next play drastically overthrow a receiver that most D2 QBs would make on a routine basis.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited! I think this offense is going to be a stat machine! New QB big arm, oline that has 3 guys that will be playing on Sundays

If healthy the offensive line is the biggest reason for optimism. I just have a few concerns:

1. Will Salvon Ahmed improve his ability running between the tackles? He's an excellent athlete and as a result was excellent on stretch plays and pitches on the outside of the tackles, but I don't recall him having Gaskin's ability between the tackles. He will need to step up running inside if he's going to come close to the workload that Gaskin had.

2. Can the receivers take the next step forward? It could've been partially due to Browning's indecision, but from what I observed it looked like they frequently weren't getting separation.

3. How much will Eason improve? He has the arm strength and size, but he really needs to improve his accuracy and decision making.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my “reasoning” behind my comment and I totally understand both your comments:

I think when you have kid that played in the SEC then came here for year now ( I know didn’t play last year) but was out competing against the best damn defense in the Pac12 everyday to young receivers who in most part he will be throwing to this year learned how each other moves, thinks and adjusts to what defenses give them is very big.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way that Petersen and Hamden design their offense - and I have no reason to assume it'll change drastically in 2019 - I think mistakes in terms of turnovers from him will be minimized, but I believe fans are going to be extremely frustrated when they see Eason make a throw that many NFL QBs can't make then the next play drastically overthrow a receiver that most D2 QBs would make on a routine basis.
Both Eason and Heaner are prone to boneheaded plays. That's why the competition for starter doesn't really matter much IMO. It will matter even less if we don't get a couple of kids to play A LOT FUCKING BETTER at WR. Eason's only a more dangerous weapon if they can get kids open up top. Something they really didn't do last year.

That 50y bomb he threw against Tenn with a half throw was just amazing. I'm not sure we have any kids that can run 50y.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Eason and Heaner are prone to boneheaded plays. That's why the competition for starter doesn't really matter much IMO. It will matter even less if we don't get a couple of kids to play A LOT FUCKING BETTER at WR. Eason's only a more dangerous weapon if they can get kids open up top. Something they really didn't do last year.

That 50y bomb he threw against Tenn with a half throw was just amazing. I'm not sure we have any kids that can run 50y.

He has incredible arm talent as you can see from his highlights, but obviously that doesn't show his limitations as a passer.

I agree regarding the WRs. I do think that part of it was that Browning really hesitated on a lot of throws as I think in his head he knew he didn't have the velocity to fit certain throws into tight windows and played it really safe. Even then they do need to step up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who have a subscription, @AlaskaGuy I'm looking at you:

Observations, highlights and notes from Day 1 of...

"For those wondering, it was sophomore Jake Haener who took the first reps at quarterback with the first-team offense, followed by redshirt freshman Jacob Sirmon with the No. 3 offensive line, then junior Jacob Eason with the No. 2 offensive line. The highlight of that early 11-on-11 period: Haener completing a pass to junior receiver Ty Jones up the left sideline, with Jones leaping amid tight coverage from junior cornerback Keith Taylor to make the catch. It was a good throw and a tough grab, and defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake acknowledged as much as Jones jogged back to the huddle, shouting “Nice catch, Ty!” After missing almost all of spring with a hand injury, Jones looked strong in his camp debut."

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressions from the first day of UW Huskies fall camp: Start your engines … the QB competition is on

The fact that it appears Eason has been underwhelming this offseason is concerning to me. I know that the coaching staff probably implements a more vanilla offense during practices with media present, but nothing I've read seems to indicate he - or any of the QBs - have been very impressive thus far.
Been a concern for sure. Also not seeing constantly decent play from the receivers which hinders all of the QBs

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a concern for sure. Also not seeing constantly decent play from the receivers which hinders all of the QBs

Fingers crossed they improve in 2019. There is certainly the experience there. An interesting wild card is Chico McClatcher. He was impressive his freshman year, but after suffering that injury he didn't look the same when he came back and I wonder if that's partially a reason he stepped away from the program briefly.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fingers crossed they improve in 2019. There is certainly the experience there. An interesting wild card is Chico McClatcher. He was impressive his freshman year, but after suffering that injury he didn't look the same when he came back and I wonder if that's partially a reason he stepped away from the program briefly.
I thought he had off the field issues or something? But yeah, a healthy and full speed chico could for sure force safeties back and take the top off now and then. Need Nacua or one of the others to step in as well. The run game will take a step back if they don't have multiple deep threats and actually take more down field tries (as they have said they want to do this year).

As bad as Jake was last year, not having the real threat of a deep game seriously hurt them a lot against the better teams.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had off the field issues or something? But yeah, a healthy and full speed chico could for sure force safeties back and take the top off now and then. Need Nacua or one of the others to step in as well. The run game will take a step back if they don't have multiple deep threats and actually take more down field tries (as they have said they want to do this year).

As bad as Jake was last year, not having the real threat of a deep game seriously hurt them a lot against the better teams.

"Personal issues" was the official claim, but if I recall correctly he had some early season fumbles and to me didn't look as explosive as before the injury. I met him once when we were both drunk and he wanted to add me on Snapchat (not sure why lol, probably the booze), and nothing he posted really indicated anything out of the ordinary. Maybe needed to take some time away from football and work on academics, help out family or whatever and this was a way of getting his house in order. If it was an off the field issue such as an arrest or something, he would've been booted from the team or some reporter would've found some public record of it.

Everything I heard indicated that Austin Osborne had a great spring whereas Marquise Spiker was relatively quiet.

I'm a big fan of Puka Nacua and wouldn't be surprised to see him get playing time as a true freshman. He reminded me a lot of Dante Pettis in his highlights and was incredible in the Polynesian Bowl or whatever it's called (I think that's the one I saw him in).

I think one of the bigger issues in giving the younger guys playing time is that it seems the coaching staff really prioritizes experience, which is a blessing and a curse.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had your pick, who would you choose? Eason or Haener?

Try to disregard Haener's hot mom when making that choice.
Heaner just to watch the heads explode on the media shit eating lemmings. If not for that I wouldn't have a preference tbh. Just want a QB that can move the chains and is mobile. Doesn't have to have a John Elway arm, but one that moves that chains and keeps the defense off the field.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heaner just to watch the heads explode on the media shit eating lemmings. If not for that I wouldn't have a preference tbh. Just want a QB that can move the chains and is mobile. Doesn't have to have a John Elway arm, but one that moves that chains and keeps the defense off the field.

Fair enough. Although I'm hoping I'm wrong, I don't believe either will be a substantial upgrade over Browning. I just hope they stick with whichever QB they select. I have a strong feeling whoever is named QB will struggle against Cal's defense and that's when people will start to freak out. Even if Haener didn't throw that pick-six when he replaced Browning, I still think it was stupid to bench Browning for a redshirt freshman even though Browning was struggling.