• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches on the hot seat entering the 2019 season

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we might find an offe.... Jesus Christ next season is going to suck.
Honestly, if Dantonio isn't careful he might find himself on these lists. Speaking as fairly about MSU as possible, I really can't see 2019 going much better than 2020. Other than getting ASU at home, MSU has to play @UM, @OSU and @NW.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if Dantonio isn't careful he might find himself on these lists. Speaking as fairly about MSU as possible, I really can't see 2019 going much better than 2020. Other than getting ASU at home, MSU has to play @UM, @OSU and @NW.
Well we have won 4 of the last 5 at Michigan. At NW is always funky. We do get Penn State at home, having won 5 of the last 6 against them. We also play at Wisconsin which is no fun task. This probably will be another year struggling to be bowl eligible if the offense doesn’t get their head of their asses. With that defense last year, we should have won the B1G.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Clay Helton, USC: Honestly, I'm shocked Helton will be back in 2019. I think a lot of college football fans are. I'm not saying it's a horrible decision, because you could make an argument that firing Helton after a 5-7 season when his Trojans won 21 games the previous two seasons would have been a rash decision. You could make that argument. If you wanted to. I'm not necessarily sure I want to.

Helton's time at USC reminds me a lot of the Jim McElwain Era at Florida. The Gators won 19 games in Mac's first two seasons, as well as two division titles, but they never looked like a team that was the same level as the elite programs of the country, which is where Florida wants to be. Plus, recruiting was dropping off. That's mostly how I feel about USC right now. The Trojans won the Pac-12 in 2017, but got pantsed in losses to Notre Dame and Ohio State that season as well. Also, USC's 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked No. 20 nationally by 247Sports' composite rankings, but only third in the Pac-12.

There is no excuse for USC to have only the third-best class in the Pac-12 ever. It's just not supposed to happen, yet, it has this year. And if Helton doesn't show significant improvement in 2019, I don't think he's around to see the 2020 class. And when you look at USC's 2019 schedule, it's not going to be easy to survive.

I'm not sure Helton is really on too much of a hot seat. Not because he shouldn't be and I'm pretty sure that he is as far the boosters, etc. are concerned.

I think what may be keeping off the hot seat and why he's still the coach, is because USC has an interim President.

Other top level coaches know that when they hire a permanent President, he may want to bring in his own AD, that AD is likely to want to hire his own coach. So a good coach isn't going to be as interested until the President is hired and they see what he does.

Once they hire a permanent President, I expect that both Lynn Swann and Clay Helton's seats are likely to heat up quickly.

And I agree, it's kind of hard to fire a guy after one bad season when he won 21 games the previous 2 seasons...until you factor in how USC has performed against teams like Alabama and tOSU (to name a couple) who are the level of teams that USC is supposed to at least be on equal footing with.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we might find an offe.... Jesus Christ next season is going to suck.
Well, either you guys are the Anti Texas Tech or Texas Tech is the anti MSU.

_rolltideroll_

4 out of 3 people have trouble with basic math...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus-Bus-fire-MEME.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Jam should be on the hot seat this year but people in ann arbor are stupid.

0-4 vs. Ohio State
only 2-2 vs. Michigan State
0-1 vs. N.D.
1-3 bowl record
1st meeeechegan HC to start his career 0-4 vs. the Buckeyes

And meeeechegan gave up 62 (the most ever) to Ohio State last year. If his name wasn't Harbaugh he would have been fired 5 minutes after that Peach Bowl blowout (41-15 to Florida).

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Jam should be on the hot seat this year but people in ann arbor are stupid.

0-4 vs. Ohio State
only 2-2 vs. Michigan State
0-1 vs. N.D.
1-3 bowl record
1st meeeechegan HC to start his career 0-4 vs. the Buckeyes

And meeeechegan gave up 62 (the most ever) to Ohio State last year. If his name wasn't Harbaugh he would have been fired 5 minutes after that Peach Bowl blowout (41-15 to Florida).

Well yea and look at their idiot fans running around this site too.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he believed he would have a 10-11 win team at Tech by now. With that he could get an offer at a struggling blue blood or close to that. Now he has a decent class coming in and better do something with them ( besides beat us ).

No chance. Everyone knows VT's substandard season was due to the massive departures and injuries on defense. Remember, Fuente gave the keys of the defense to Bud Foster. Bud didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach a defense. They were having 4th stringers and walk-ons play defense last year.

From 1998 through 2017, Virginia Tech's defense averaged 13th in the nation. In 2018, it was ranked 98th. Little wonder VT finished 6-7...

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance. Everyone knows VT's substandard season was due to the massive departures and injuries on defense. Remember, Fuente gave the keys of the defense to Bud Foster. Bud didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach a defense. They were having 4th stringers and walk-ons play defense last year.

From 1998 through 2017, Virginia Tech's defense averaged 13th in the nation. In 2018, it was ranked 98th. Little wonder VT finished 6-7...

Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well.