• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2021 Season

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the Huskies being any good this year. I'm floored this is even a game at all, let alone trailing Montana in the 4th quarter.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the Huskies being any good this year. I'm floored this is even a game at all, let alone trailing Montana in the 4th quarter.
I hope the game against Michigan isn't nationally televised.

I can't remember a more embarrassing loss, at least when we went 0-12 it wasn't surprising.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the game against Michigan isn't nationally televised.

I can't remember a more embarrassing loss, at least when we went 0-12 it wasn't surprising.
5PM pacific on ABC next week. It's the national late game of the week.

This is likely the worst loss in program history. Outside of losing to WSU in '08 to finish 0-12, there isn't a more embarrassing loss.

First time a FCS team has held a FBS team to single digit loss since Oregon State lost to grambling in '85. First loss to Montana in 101 years. I could go on, but there is no need.

Donovan can't remain and Morris can't be under center next week. If Lake doesn't make major changes he should be fired.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lake's job should be on the line this year after that loss. Myriad issues with how we played, but legitimate really bad coaching problems down the stretch are disturbing

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start the Huard kid. He's hyped up coming into the program so let him take the starters job and see what happens.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that generally the offensive coordinator is the first to blame when a team struggles on offense, and sometimes it's unwarranted but this time it is completely warranted.

The offensive line played like shit despite being one of the best units in the country. Why is that? Because the team was outcoached. It's really the only plausible explanation given the massive talent disparity between the two teams. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that almost every time that the Huskies attempted a run up the middle, Montana was blitzing the inside gaps. Every time the Huskies dropped back to pass? They sent extra edge rushers. At times it seemed like the Montana defense knew the offensive play before we even lined up at the line of scrimmage. That falls completely on the offensive preparation.

I can't really shit on the defense too much other than a few missed interception opportunities and a long run by Harris, but they did look completely uninspired regardless. I can't blame them when the offense couldn't move the ball.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to start the Huard kid. He's hyped up coming into the program so let him take the starters job and see what happens.
As highly touted as Sam Huard is, everything I read indicated that he didn't have a very good camp to put it generously. Patrick O'Brien was actually taking the majority of the second string reps in camp. Huard had issues taking snaps under center and turned the ball over quite frequently in practice.

I'm hoping Huard is great for a ton of reasons, but if Morris wasn't benched after that abysmal performance against Montana, at this point he is probably the better QB as terrifying as that sounds.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5PM pacific on ABC next week. It's the national late game of the week.

This is likely the worst loss in program history. Outside of losing to WSU in '08 to finish 0-12, there isn't a more embarrassing loss.

First time a FCS team has held a FBS team to single digit loss since Oregon State lost to grambling in '85. First loss to Montana in 101 years. I could go on, but there is no need.

Donovan can't remain and Morris can't be under center next week. If Lake doesn't make major changes he should be fired.
I think this is definitely the worst loss in program history when you consider the opponent and expectations of the Huskies going into this season, and the talent differential between the two teams. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say this would be like the equivalent of the Dodgers losing to a AA team.

I agree on Donovan 100%. As I said in the post above, I really do believe that the reason we lost this game is because the offense wasn't prepared. Given the talent on this roster, even without any preparation we should've dropped at least 30 points on Montana.

We are in the shitty situation that I really don't know if there is a better option than Morris at this point. Patrick O'Brien took the majority of 2nd string snaps and Huard struggled a lot in camp.

Obviously one game doesn't make a head coach, but my feelings on Jimmy Lake have drastically changed. I was willing to look aside his poor recruiting due to COVID, and last season's struggles also due to COVID. But here are the 5 games Jimmy Lake has been the head coach:

Game 1: Barely beat a mediocre Oregon State team by 6 points
Game 2: Beat a disastrous Arizona team by 17 points
Game 3: Had to come back from a massive deficit to barely beat Utah by 3 points
Game 4: Lost to Stanford 31-24 in a game that UW played way worse than the score indicated
Game 5: Objectively the worst loss in program history

This is all with a ton of blue chip talent all across the roster. If we keep playing like this, we won't have any more blue chip talent to win with.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewatched a bunch of it just to confirm somethings.

The oline, that was rated top5 in the nation this year, absolutely cost us this one. They played world-class bad. Absolute shocker. They get a F- grade and thats being generous. A low talent Montana Dline killed them.

The more I watched, the less blame I'm putting on Morris. He was forced into forcing things way too much late in the game.

Keys to this loss:

1) Oline shit the mattress.
2) WRs dropping easy passes.
3) multiple times we got near their redzone, but then blew it and couldn't even turn them into field goals.
4) Donovans inability to stop calling the Newton runs up the middle when the Oline was obviously having a disastrous game.

Morris did alright last night and so did the defense. The blame lies elsewhere.

Good God, this sucks in every way possible. It complete sucks any oxygen left out of the room for this team in 2021. Any momentum we had a chance to regain was just absolutely wrecked last night. Unless we find some way to beat Michigan next week, this program, and especially recruiting, is wrecked for a long time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't end up with 65y rushing against a FCS team. Ever. With any level of offensive line experience. There were no adjustments made (or poor ones either way) and no heart in that team. I saw Newton run 'angry' once maybe in the second half?

And Lake said they were pissed off or disappointed, but he didn't sound it in the post game. Sounded chill as fuck. He should be pounding the table. Didn't get that vibe.

Not ready to say Lake should be fired, but just like we held Sark responsible for his terrible defenses, so too do we need to hold Lake accountable for that worst in program history offense. I wanted Sark fired when he held onto Holt for way too long. Lake is on a VERY short rope after this.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As highly touted as Sam Huard is, everything I read indicated that he didn't have a very good camp to put it generously. Patrick O'Brien was actually taking the majority of the second string reps in camp. Huard had issues taking snaps under center and turned the ball over quite frequently in practice.

I'm hoping Huard is great for a ton of reasons, but if Morris wasn't benched after that abysmal performance against Montana, at this point he is probably the better QB as terrifying as that sounds.
Damn. This will be a long season if Morris doesn't get his head out of his ass.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheesh. Hope he heals up ok. Don't remember any mentions of a hit taking him out that bad.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris graded 12th in Pac for week 1 at pff.

And with half the WR out, it's going to be a long frustrating year

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding.

I religiously followed the developments during camp and it doesn't sound as if O'Brien or Huard are viable replacements at this point. I'm partially willing to give Morris a bit of leeway considering he is out his top 4 receivers and the fact that I've never seen a more embarrassing offensive game plan, but in the end that's not an excuse against the caliber of opponent we were facing.

I'm nothing more than a couch-coach, but why didn't the Huskies change up their play calling? The Huskies dropped back to pass 49 times and handed the ball off 24 times. You don't completely abandon the run game against a team of this caliber when your QB is struggling and down all of his top targets. Also why not attempt some screen plays when Montana was blitzing so much?

I could go on forever. I'd rather have Bush Hamden or Jonathan Smith at this point. Donovan's offensive "strategy" made Nick Holt's defensive "strategy" look great.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding.

I religiously followed the developments during camp and it doesn't sound as if O'Brien or Huard are viable replacements at this point. I'm partially willing to give Morris a bit of leeway considering he is out his top 4 receivers and the fact that I've never seen a more embarrassing offensive game plan, but in the end that's not an excuse against the caliber of opponent we were facing.

I'm nothing more than a couch-coach, but why didn't the Huskies change up their play calling? The Huskies dropped back to pass 49 times and handed the ball off 24 times. You don't completely abandon the run game against a team of this caliber when your QB is struggling and down all of his top targets. Also why not attempt some screen plays when Montana was blitzing so much?

I could go on forever. I'd rather have Bush Hamden or Jonathan Smith at this point. Donovan's offensive "strategy" made Nick Holt's defensive "strategy" look great.
It won't matter how the other 2 looked in camp if Morris continues to struggle a change is a must.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Lake update:

Game 1: Barely beat a mediocre Oregon State team by 6 points
Game 2: Beat a disastrous Arizona team by 17 points
Game 3: Had to come back from a massive deficit to barely beat Utah by 3 points
Game 4: Lost to Stanford 31-24 in a game that UW played way worse than the score indicated
Game 5: Objectively the worst loss in program history
Game 6: Humiliated on national television against Michigan

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the two glaring things that stood out to me about the loss against Michigan:

Offense: Why do you keep running it up the middle when Michigan is loading the box? I get that you want to establish the run and maybe you don't trust Dylan Morris, but why not attempt a run outside the tackles? Or audible to a WR screen pass? Or a HB screen? I'm nothing more than a pseudo-football analyst, but it doesn't take brilliance to realize that running up the middle on 3rd down then following that up with the same play on 4th down isn't going to work.

Defense: I could be stretching here, but I really do believe the reason the Huskies were unable to stop the run is also a schematic issue. Playing a 3-4 base defense with the defensive line essentially being 3 guys who can play NT and two outside linebackers who are essentially defensive ends isn't going to cut it on outside run plays. The Huskies were essentially running a 5-2 defensive front against the run, and if the first line of defense gets blocked (which they did) you have two linebackers at the second level with the safeties playing deep.

The Huskies were completely out coached again and to allow 343 rushing yards with the talent on this team is unacceptable irrespective of the opponent. Michigan had absolutely no intention of throwing the ball and the Huskies were unable to adjust.