• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying it's not true but "informed speculation" from a source is pretty weak reporting on Mort's part.

Also Mort has no idea if the Texans want Tua or not. Caserio and the new HC could think Tua sucks for all we know.

And I'm sure there are a few teams Watson would likely waive his no trade clause for.

With that said if Watson does hit the market I'd consider the Dolphins an early favorite for him because even if Houston doesn't want Tua they still have the #3 pick along with a lot of other enticing picks.

9ers would be my other favorite because they can offer a pretty good 1st rounder at #12, Jimmy G who Caserio probably likes since he was with the Pats when they drafted him, and a lesser talked about factor is you'd be putting Watson in the NFC where you'd only have to worry about him once every 4 years or in the Super Bowl.

Obviously more picks beyond that would be involved but #3 and #18 from the Dolphins would be really enticing.

I don’t know why you even mention the 49ers. They really don’t have the ammo to pull off a Watson trade.

Jimmy is a near negative asset. If he was a free agent this year, he doesn’t get the 2 year $50m contract that he is playing under right now. Not after missing 23 games in the last 3 years and not looking like a world beater when he has played.

To give the draft picks it would take to get Watson, the 49ers would have to give up their next 3 first rounders and 2 or 3 2nd rounders at minimum. 49ers with where they are at with their roster and cap and free agents coming up, really can’t afford that.

I don’t think people fully understand where Watson stands in the league.

If the NFL were to void all contracts and hold a draft for the rights to all players, there is no question that Mahones get picked #1 overall. But after that, there is almost no question that Watson would go somewhere between pick #2 and pick #5.

He is the very definition of a franchise QB. 25 years old and one of the top QB’s in the league already. He has at least 6 years of his best football ahead of him.

I still think that to convince the Texans to trade him that Miami would have to give up Tua, all 3 of their 1st round picks this year, a 1st round next year and more to get it done. That is how much you need to even start thinking about trading a player of Watson’s value.

And this isn’t the NBA. Watson can’t force a trade with the way they fine and treat hold outs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, they told him he'd be part of the GM search.

Basically, they lied to him.
The iownership said very simply, "We own the fucking team sndf decided that we wanted Caserio. Go back to college and get a business degree and a Business masters and then we'll let you help us make "BUSINESS" decisions. You try to do your job and we'll do ours. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Oh, you're going to sit out? Fine. Get your attorneys together because we will be suing you for damaing our product and costing us revenue. We'll drag this out until you're broke and then drag it out a bit more.

Send a message to every player in the league that the owners are the guys who sign the paychecks of the guys who work FOR them.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, they told him he'd be part of the GM search.

Basically, they lied to him.
I still havent heard that.
but
What I did hear piss him off was he wanted them to go get Eric Bieniemy for their HC. & the Texans dont even plan on talking to him. Think he wants some input for the HC not the GM

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still havent heard that.
but
What I did hear piss him off was he wanted them to go get Eric Bieniemy for their HC. & the Texans dont even plan on talking to him. Think he wants some input for the HC not the GM

"But instead of getting to celebrate the hire, Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair reportedly upset his franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson with the hiring process.

According to Adam Schefter, McNair paid search firm Korn Ferry hundreds of thousands of dollars, but ignored their recommendation of hiring Pittsburgh Steelers vice president of football and business administration Omar Khan or ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Louis Riddick -- both minority candidates -- instead going with Caserio, a close tie to Texans executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby."

You must have missed the Tweet he posted and then deleted after the GM was hired.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he would know...

ErjskI-W8AAb4va

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I’m Miami, I stock up on players from the 5 picks we got between Rounds 1 and 3, and sign a good FA or two. Then offer a 1st and 2nd round pick from 2022 and 2023, (or Tua in exchange for 1 of those picks) and also offer to take on a bad contract. Miami should really have their roster filled out after this offseason and could afford to part ways with those future picks.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know why you even mention the 49ers. They really don’t have the ammo to pull off a Watson trade.

Jimmy is a near negative asset. If he was a free agent this year, he doesn’t get the 2 year $50m contract that he is playing under right now. Not after missing 23 games in the last 3 years and not looking like a world beater when he has played.

To give the draft picks it would take to get Watson, the 49ers would have to give up their next 3 first rounders and 2 or 3 2nd rounders at minimum. 49ers with where they are at with their roster and cap and free agents coming up, really can’t afford that.

I don’t think people fully understand where Watson stands in the league.

If the NFL were to void all contracts and hold a draft for the rights to all players, there is no question that Mahones get picked #1 overall. But after that, there is almost no question that Watson would go somewhere between pick #2 and pick #5.

He is the very definition of a franchise QB. 25 years old and one of the top QB’s in the league already. He has at least 6 years of his best football ahead of him.

I still think that to convince the Texans to trade him that Miami would have to give up Tua, all 3 of their 1st round picks this year, a 1st round next year and more to get it done. That is how much you need to even start thinking about trading a player of Watson’s value.

And this isn’t the NBA. Watson can’t force a trade with the way they fine and treat hold outs.
Sure he can force his way out it just depends on how big of a financial hit he wants to take. See Bell and Palmer for examples. Now I’m not saying that’s what he does but he can force it. Most owners don’t have the stones to say “ you will play for me or nobody” they eventually give in and most players are the same.
Watson is very good but the numbers you talking about would not touch Mahomes and are way to high for Watson.
Zeke pulled the holdout on Jerry and Jerry caved big mistake. Now If Watson really was told he would have input and all reports I have read say that McNair promised him input and then McNair reneged he has ample reason to be pissed. It’s all a matter of perspective and how bad a player really wants out.
As far as fines if your a multiMillionaire those fines don’t mean squat because most times they get waived when everything gets worked out. Bottom line is if your players are not happy with your Team they can find a way out but it is really messy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he can force his way out it just depends on how big of a financial hit he wants to take. See Bell and Palmer for examples. Now I’m not saying that’s what he does but he can force it. Most owners don’t have the stones to say “ you will play for me or nobody” they eventually give in and most players are the same.
Watson is very good but the numbers you talking about would not touch Mahomes and are way to high for Watson.
Zeke pulled the holdout on Jerry and Jerry caved big mistake. Now If Watson really was told he would have input and all reports I have read say that McNair promised him input and then McNair reneged he has ample reason to be pissed. It’s all a matter of perspective and how bad a player really wants out.
As far as fines if your a multiMillionaire those fines don’t mean squat because most times they get waived when everything gets worked out. Bottom line is if your players are not happy with your Team they can find a way out but it is really messy.
Wasn’t there something in the CBA that said that teams could not waive fines for holding out?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he would know...

yet they all take the Texans money by resigning with them.

How about take a stand, be a man & honor the contract you weren't forced to sign.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone talking about how the Texans are paying him all this money they really aren't doing him any favors because Watson could have tested the free agent market and could easily have gotten that money somewhere else so really its more Watson in doing the honorable thing to stay with the franchise that drafted him. Also for the sake of trying to win having a great relationship with your QB that you signed for the 4-5 years where wins/losses are based on his ability to play getting his opinion is the sensible thing to do.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone talking about how the Texans are paying him all this money they really aren't doing him any favors because Watson could have tested the free agent market and could easily have gotten that money somewhere else so really its more Watson in doing the honorable thing to stay with the franchise that drafted him. Also for the sake of trying to win having a great relationship with your QB that you signed for the 4-5 years where wins/losses are based on his ability to play getting his opinion is the sensible thing to do.

He signed that extension just over 4 months ago. That has to be the fastest that I've ever seen somebody sign an extension and then demand a trade.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am Miami I am for sure giving up 2 first round picks plus Tua and even 2022 first round pick to get Watson. I don't think they are allowed to trade back the Texans pick to them I could be wrong. Watson being like 24 years old pro bowler that led the league in passing yards is crazy.

If I am the Jets I would be looking to package that 2nd overall pick plus 2022 and a few 2nd and 3rd rounders. Whoever is able to land Watson whom is under a multi year contract would be a contending team for a long time.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed that extension just over 4 months ago. That has to be the fastest that I've ever seen somebody sign an extension and then demand a trade.
I could be wrong but I think he signed the extension before they decided to trade away Hopkins and obviously with the recent events he now knows he has no say in who gets hired. If the Texans would have told him hey after you sign we will trade away Hopkins and you will have no say in management hiring that could have effected his decision.

Realistically though the problem is all these players in his ear telling him to get out Andre Johnson has publicly came out and said to leave because his career was wasted. I am sure JJ Watt feels the same way and has told him. I am confident both DeAndre Hopkins and Duane Brown have talked to him about how much better their lives have been since being traded away. I think that is what is also driving this.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but I think he signed the extension before they decided to trade away Hopkins and obviously with the recent events he now knows he has no say in who gets hired. If the Texans would have told him hey after you sign we will trade away Hopkins and you will have no say in management hiring that could have effected his decision.

Realistically though the problem is all these players in his ear telling him to get out Andre Johnson has publicly came out and said to leave because his career was wasted. I am sure JJ Watt feels the same way and has told him. I am confident both DeAndre Hopkins and Duane Brown have talked to him about how much better their lives have been since being traded away. I think that is what is also driving this.

Hopkins was traded in March. The same day as Stefon Diggs actually.

The Texans then exercised Watson's 2021 option in April, before agreeing to an extension in September.

I get wanting to get out of a down franchise, and they fell off fast, but he doesn't have much in terms of leverage.