• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day the team has a contract and nowhere in the contract does it say "Watson will get input into the process". So if they hold firm, all Watson can do is retire from the NFL, maybe coach as a assistant in college or learn how to be a announcer. If the teams can find a good enough offer, then fine trade him, but it would have to be superb. Teams that caved, in the past took a hit and teams that didn't, say like the Chargers, look like the smarter organization. IDK that I would put the Texans in the "smarter organization" group though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day the team has a contract and nowhere in the contract does it say "Watson will get input into the process". So if they hold firm, all Watson can do is retire from the NFL, maybe coach as a assistant in college or learn how to be a announcer. If the teams can find a good enough offer, then fine trade him, but it would have to be superb. Teams that caved, in the past took a hit and teams that didn't, say like the Chargers, look like the smarter organization. IDK that I would put the Texans in the "smarter organization" group though.
LOL no they can’t hold firm. How do you think that would make their organization look? How do you sign guys after that? That would be a horrible look. Nowadays more than ever players have control. Not legally with their contract but people care about others’ opinions more than ever these days...if he wants traded, they will trade him. Nobody wants the starting, franchise QB causing a scene. Look at James Harden, he got what he wished for and the exact team he wanted to go to.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL no they can’t hold firm. How do you think that would make their organization look? How do you sign guys after that? That would be a horrible look. Nowadays more than ever players have control. Not legally with their contract but people care about others’ opinions more than ever these days...if he wants traded, they will trade him. Nobody wants the starting, franchise QB causing a scene. Look at James Harden, he got what he wished for and the exact team he wanted to go to.
Why not? We saw the Chargers do it. You say that's a horrible look, I say it show strength and really how far can their rep fall from where it's at? NFL and NBA are two different types of sport and work differently, so no need to mention what the NBA does, unless you use it to show what not to do.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which I have.....You 'think' DW will not hold out, but we've seen in a player like LeVeon Bell get his way....and that was simply a monetary issue. If Watson is so disgruntled with the Texans on issues he feels are far more important, I can easily see a holdout for a substantial length of time. If Watson's claims are in fact true, then Houston is in a bad position....and not just in the immediate future...but the long term as well.

Bell was not under contract though. Because of that, he was not subject to any fines. And because he wasn't, he did have some leverage.

Watson is under a 6 year contact. Watson doesn't just lose out on a single season of pay.....he loses money out of his bank account directly if he tries to hold out plus a season of pay, plus guaranteed language in his contract.

It's not the same.

Last edited:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Carr, 3 firsts, and a 2nd rounder for Watson.
I was kidding, I'd give up a lot but not quite that much.....

*Back to your regularly scheduled programming*

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA and NFL are two entirely different animals.

If Watson really did want to go to war on this, he would lose and lose big time. He would lose millions of dollars and if Houston stands firm he would still have to play out his contract.

You are talking about a publicity battle. NBA fans might forgive a guy like Harden for being whiny. The NFL isn't like that. He is under contract for over $100 million. And you think he is going to win a public relations war against Houston who has him signed to a contract and already paid him 10's of millions of dollars to play out that contract already? Yeah that is one he is not going to win just like the NFLPA never wins the public relations battle against the owners when it comes time to negotiate a new CBA.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell was not under contract though. Because of that, he was not subject to any fines. And because he wasn't, he did have some leverage.

Watson is under a 6 year contact.

He still gave up millions just to force his way out...and that was over only money. Watson's claims are much different. He can easily Carson Palmer the Texans to get what he wants.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still gave up millions just to force his way out...and that was over only money. Watson's claims are much different. He can easily Carson Palmer the Texans to get what he wants.
Easily you say? Guess we'll find out.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I edited my post just as you were posting.

He loses more than just future earnings like Bell did. He loses money directly out of his bank account plus future earnings.

He would have to be IRATE at Texas to cut off his nose to spite his face like that. Hiring a GM he wasn't happy with isn't going to make him that irate.

.....and even if it did and he was willing to lose millions of dollars over this, doesnt really matter because the Jets and Dolphins would both crush a 49er trade offer for him. So would Atlanta or Detroit or a lot of other teams. Again draft assets are not created equal. And teams like the 49ers or Pat's or Bears drafting out of reach of a legit top QB prospect in this draft aren't going to be offer a comparable offer to what some of these other teams can offer.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I edited my post just as you were posting.

He loses more than just future earnings like Bell did. He loses money directly out of his bank account plus future earnings.

He would have to be IRATE at Texas to cut off his nose to spite his face like that. Hiring a GM he wasn't happy with isn't going to make him that irate.

.....and even if it did and he was willing to lose millions of dollars over this, doesnt really matter because the Jets and Dolphins would both crush a 49er trade offer for him. So would Atlanta or Detroit or a lot of other teams. Again draft assets are not created equal. And teams like the 49ers or Pat's or Bears drafting out of reach of a legit top QB prospect in this draft aren't going to be offer a comparable offer to what some of these other teams can offer.

I'm not going around and around on this....I've already shown that SF can easily provide enough in a supposed trade. It's not even debatable.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going around and around on this....I've already shown that SF can easily provide enough in a supposed trade. It's not even debatable.

You are right it is not debatable. A 12th overall pick in the 1st round isn't anywhere close to the same value as a #2 or #3 overall pick in the draft.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right it is not debatable. A 12th overall pick in the 1st round isn't anywhere close to the same value as a #2 or #3 overall pick in the draft.

Nobody said it was. SF can provide enough draft capitol, and that's all that's relevant.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quite the opposite.
If a player controls the organization. You have a failed organization. If the team doesnt hold firm. They then open a pandora's box & even more agents will attack the organization with stupid demands. if they plan on not being a failed organization. There only choice would be to hold firm.
If the player (agent) wants out that bad. Go find a trade partner that gives the team a kings ransom. the team has to negotiate from a position of strength or they will lose their ass.

As far as how they would look.
Cave to a player who this very year signed an extension then makes such a ridiculous demand. The organization would look weak. Who would want to go to a weak Organization? Players looking only to get paid that who. Not ones dedicated to winning a championship.

So if you ask me. They have no choice but to hold firm. As much as it might suck if Watson holds out or retires. The team cant blink on this. IMHO.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducky has some good points. You are just letting homerism get in the way of clear thinking.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW the dead cap space on Watson would be 67.1 mil. Now I am sure that would go down some if traded, but still way to huge of a # I would imagine.
Also he is only gonna be a 15.9 mil cap hit next year. On a down year for the cap. Also him being on the team & not playing costs less cap wise, than moving him. So everyone could eat shit before I got rid of a top QB for that little of money.

No way the Texans should even consider his demands.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ducky has some good points. You are just letting homerism get in the way of clear thinking.

Wrong. The point from jump was that SF does NOT have the capitol to make a deal for Watson. It's quite obvious that they do.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? We saw the Chargers do it. You say that's a horrible look, I say it show strength and really how far can their rep fall from where it's at? NFL and NBA are two different types of sport and work differently, so no need to mention what the NBA does, unless you use it to show what not to do.
Imo I agree but this world has become soft and very flat. And who cares if they are different sports this is becoming a thing if you haven’t noticed. I mean fucking Eli said bo thanks to SD and he got his wish..different situation but when I player gets disgruntled they usually get traded eventually but when a star gets disgruntled they for sure are getting their wish.

If the rumors are true I GUARANTEE he won’t be playing another regular season game for Houston

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quite the opposite.
If a player controls the organization. You have a failed organization. If the team doesnt hold firm. They then open a pandora's box & even more agents will attack the organization with stupid demands. if they plan on not being a failed organization. There only choice would be to hold firm.
If the player (agent) wants out that bad. Go find a trade partner that gives the team a kings ransom. the team has to negotiate from a position of strength or they will lose their ass.

As far as how they would look.
Cave to a player who this very year signed an extension then makes such a ridiculous demand. The organization would look weak. Who would want to go to a weak Organization? Players looking only to get paid that who. Not ones dedicated to winning a championship.

So if you ask me. They have no choice but to hold firm. As much as it might suck if Watson holds out or retires. The team cant blink on this. IMHO.
I hope they hold firm. I really do but the fact is most teams won’t, especially with their history and I am talking from a media standpoint. That’s all it is these days...it’s sickening