• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Could he be effective in the Cobb/Harvin role? I wouldn't want to hand him the ball, but with his short-area quickness and YAC, couldn't he be dangerous running routes out of the backfield? Get him matched up over the middle on a LB. . .

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd like to see him in the slot

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course, but he isn't going to line up in the slot every snap. Let's move him around and create mismatches.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't like him in that role. I see Crabby as more of a guy to run to the sticks & grab a first down than a guy who gets a quick pass & runs for the first down.

They might want to split Lamichael James out wide every once in a while to play that kind of role. I'm hoping Jenkins can too, but I'm not holding my breath.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I watch him with the ball in his hands and think getting him in space could be really dangerous. I said leading up to us drafting him that he was a TJ Houshmandzadeh type, but he's much more than that.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we don't want our wr's being too close to kap. they might lose a finger.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, one thing I've noticed about Crabby is that he is extremely coordinated (unlike Vernon). He catches the ball and keeps running without breaking stride at all. But he doesn't have the burst to break away from defenders IMO. I think he needs the time to run his route in order to get open and just make the most of it. Not like Harvin, who can catch the ball in the open field and break some ankles.

But Crabtree is much better at catching the ball with a defender close to him because he has such long arms & great body control. He's like a TE in that way (minus the brute strength of course).

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like him in that role. I see Crabby as more of a guy to run to the sticks & grab a first down than a guy who gets a quick pass & runs for the first down.

They might want to split Lamichael James out wide every once in a while to play that kind of role. I'm hoping Jenkins can too, but I'm not holding my breath.

We saw him throughout the season catch a ball well short of the sticks and make the first down. He finished 7th in the NFL for YAC. Crabs is absolutely dangerous in space.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We saw him throughout the season catch a ball well short of the sticks and make the first down. He finished 7th in the NFL for YAC. Crabs is absolutely dangerous in space.

Total YAC yards doesn't necessarily mean he's great in space. I'm not saying Crabs can't get YAC yards. I'm saying I don't think he's the kind of player who's going to make a bunch of plays in traffic like Percy Harvin. He's not going to break many tackles, and he's not going to make guys miss all that often. He's going to get his yards by catching the ball and hitting his top gear as fast as possible.

I like him as the flanker in a 2 WR set and at split end in a 3 WR set (I'm hoping AJ will develop into a flanker; if not, Crabby should do it).

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree is most effective in his current role. I'd like to see more plays with him going deep. He's not considered to be explosive or a speedster who DBs are not afraid of in regard to his ability to blow the lid off... but he does posses a sort of a deceptive speed and with his route running skills he is able to find a way to get open deep. It's just that the type of routes / plays he is being asked to run are more design to get the ball in his hand quickly in to allow him to get the first downs and move the chains. I saw him beat Richard Sherman on a deep pass once (the 2nd game we played against the 'hawks in which we lost), and I said to myself, he did that a lot in his days at Texas Tech. He has the ability to beat people deep (albeit not all the time) but we sure can expand his role in that manner.

I agree with Sick in that I wouldn't place him in a Harvin/Cobb. I'd rather draft someone like Patterson or Austin to do that for us than to rely on Crabtree.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total YAC yards doesn't necessarily mean he's great in space. I'm not saying Crabs can't get YAC yards. I'm saying I don't think he's the kind of player who's going to make a bunch of plays in traffic like Percy Harvin. He's not going to break many tackles, and he's not going to make guys miss all that often. He's going to get his yards by catching the ball and hitting his top gear as fast as possible.

I like him as the flanker in a 2 WR set and at split end in a 3 WR set (I'm hoping AJ will develop into a flanker; if not, Crabby should do it).

Crabtree ranks 14th in the top 100 WR's and 2nd overall for WR's with over 1000 yards receiving for YAC% according to ESPN's #'s. So, you're right, you can't say he can't get YAC's.

As for breaking tackles you're correct, he is not going to break many tackles, but he probably makes more defenders miss with his elusiveness than most receivers in the league and that is where he gets the bulk of his YAC's, NOT from being hit in stride.

Sorry, but you are still much more wrong about Crabtree than you are correct. erckm510 is 100% correct in his assessment.

In 2012 Crabtree emerged as a solid Y/Z, Possession, YAC WR and one who has to be among the best blocking WR's in the league. We have found Crabtree's sweet spot and we need to build around that not play games with it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one thing I've noticed about Crabby is that he is extremely coordinated (unlike Vernon). He catches the ball and keeps running without breaking stride at all. But he doesn't have the burst to break away from defenders IMO. I think he needs the time to run his route in order to get open and just make the most of it. Not like Harvin, who can catch the ball in the open field and break some ankles.

But Crabtree is much better at catching the ball with a defender close to him because he has such long arms & great body control.

Crabtree is only consistently good in space. His long arms have rarely helped him with 'tight-coverage' throws below his shoulders and this great body control you speak of doesn't exist as a WR in traffic.

Crabtree has horrible body control when it comes to breaking, stacking & winning. He needs to be put in situations where he is off the LOS or can get open without a lot of traffic.

Crabtree came out of college a bubble screen, daylight kind of WR and he is still "that guy" today. imac's idea of lining him up far away from the LOS is in harmony with Crabtree's strengths, while your idea's seem to push him toward his weaknesses.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he certainly works better in space but it seems like Jenkins has a body size more similar to Harvin and Cobb, also maybe closer to their speed... but apparently Jenkins can't run routes or catch balls soooooooo that might be an issue.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he certainly works better in space but it seems like Jenkins has a body size more similar to Harvin and Cobb, also maybe closer to their speed... but apparently Jenkins can't run routes or catch balls soooooooo that might be an issue.

Haha, yeah it would seem at the moment Jenkins is capable of only occupying a roster spot.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvin and Cobb are both very good at returning punts. I'm not sure if Crabtree ever did that in college or if he was any good at it... but it seems like that set of skills are pretty important for that role since they are both just expanding on what Sproles did in San Diego... another successful return guy.

Fast, shifty, sees the field well and quickly adapts and flows with the blockers to hit holes. LMJ might be the best candidate currently on the roster. I wonder why the Bears didn't try to use Hester more like that... hmmmmm

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jenkins needs to put on weight. There's no way he could be put in Harvin/Cobb type like role. Those guys are able to withstand devestating hits from linebackers. Jenkins to me seems like a finesse receiver with good speed. Chad Johnson/Marvin Harrison type like receiver. You cannot put those types of guys in a Harvin/Cobb like role. I'm sorry but you cannot!!!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haha, yeah it would seem at the moment Jenkins is capable of only occupying a roster spot.

He better find a way to get on the field next year, or else I will give him the same type of treatment I gave Chris Culliver.

Why the hell do you invest a 1st round pick on a wideout who's unable to get on the field 2 years remove from being drafted?!

I have reason to believe that Jenkins will get on the field a whole lot next year. I refuse to believe otherwise. As for me, the player I am excited seeing back is Mario Manningham. He compliments Crabtree skills set very well. If he and Kaepernick could get on the same page, Wowwzers!

The thing is, Mario has bad hands. So there are going to be times where I will end up cursing his a$$ out!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He better find a way to get on the field next year, or else I will give him the same type of treatment I gave Chris Culliver.

Why the hell do you invest a 1st round pick on a wideout who's unable to get on the field 2 years remove from being drafted?!

I have reason to believe that Jenkins will get on the field a whole lot next year. I refuse to believe otherwise. As for me, the player I am excited seeing back is Mario Manningham. He compliments Crabtree skills set very well. If he and Kaepernick could get on the same page, Wowwzers!

The thing is, Mario has bad hands. So there are going to be times where I will end up cursing his a$$ out!

Pre-season is going to mean alot to at least a couple of our WR's. Our depth at the moment has to be Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams & Jenkins. It looks like we are stacked with #2's. But, as long as they catch, move the chains & block I'm good with that.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No Mario's hands aren't bad at all.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pre-season is going to mean alot to at least a couple of our WR's. Our depth at the moment has to be Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams & Jenkins. It looks like we are stacked with #2's. But, as long as they catch, move the chains & block I'm good with that.

Yup. This is the reason why I feel that we will no longer targeting the WR position at all within the first 3 rounds. I feel as if they believe that Boldin has upgraded the group significantly, and therefore don't need to address it early in 2013. In addition, they don't want to make it seem as if they have given up on Jenkins. Taking all these factors into consideration I see us going heavy on the defensive side of the ball come draft time. I see us moving up in the late teens to acquire a falling defensive player. I see us Trying to package one of our 2nd round pick and our 3rd round pick to move up again at the end of the first round to select yet another defensive player (which would leave then leave us with only one 2nd round pick). And with our late second round pick I see us adding yet another defensive player Or a TE to take on Walker's role. We need a TE anyway just in case Vernon goes down. But I am willing to guess at this point that our first draft picks will be towards defensive players.