• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Wilson: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a 6th-round pick

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Polian on NFL Live: "With Crabtree and their TEs, they now have a dynamic passing game because Colin Kaepernick can throw the ball up there exactly as Flacco did and Anquan can go get those rebounds. For a 6th-rounder, this is a great deal."

Yikes. Slow down, Bill. Slow down. (Side note: Delanie may not even be back. Not that that would bug me greatly)

Yup, I think having Celek is good enough. He blocks better and catches better, just has less speed and cant play FB as well.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ravens twitter: Torrey Smith says he was "definitely shocked" to hear Anquan Boldin news and that #Ravens are losing a great guy & great mentor.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I knnow in the other thread this was reacted to negativley but just gonna throw out there, Cruz got a first round tender and the cap hit is $2.879 (granted he wants a new contract).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't mind over-paying for 1 season as long as Boldin is going to be the slot WR.

They still need a Flanker IMO (I know Crabby's played both split end and flanker, but I like him best at split end).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not to like? He was dominant in the post season, he's one of the toughest players in the league, which is becoming exceedingly important in our division, and he'll be a standout locker room guy. Well worth the 6 mil.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut now because we'll need more money in FA.

Yeah, I was wondering if they'd keep Manningham after the Boldin trade goes through. I like what Manningham was doing before he got hurt, but he might not be 100% until after the season starts.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At least we went after Harvin so I don't feel as bad about this trade. As fans we just can't assume that our favorite WR in the draft is going to drop into our laps. I see this as an insurance policy in case that doesn't happen. Baalke seems to be tailoring the WR corps for those physical Seattle DBs now. Maybe we'll see another like Da'Rick Rogers or Keenan Allen.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Da'Rick Rogers & Kenny Stills are now the WRs the Niners need to stalk in the draft IMO. Get one of those guys, and let him compete with AJ Jenkins for one of the starting spots. Hunter & Allen will be gone when the Niners pick.

Well, at least the WR corps isn't absolutely pathetic outside of Crabby. I had my hopes a little higher, but now this means they can spend more long-term resources on a CB.

Re-signing Walker is a must now IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's not to like? He was dominant in the post season, he's one of the toughest players in the league, which is becoming exceedingly important in our division, and he'll be a standout locker room guy. Well worth the 6 mil.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut now because we'll need more money in FA.

what Randy Moss got is for "standout locker room guy", what we need are good WR's, productive WR's who can get open and get RACs? productive WR's earn $6M/year, not standout locker room guys, not 'possesion' guys, and not tough guys.

there is some credit for doing well in the play-offs, but lets not overrate it. Crabtree can now do well in the play-offs, so can Manningham, point being play-off performance isn't high on the list of WR qualities.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what Randy Moss got is for "standout locker room guy", what we need are good WR's, productive WR's who can get open and get RACs? productive WR's earn $6M/year, not standout locker room guys, not 'possesion' guys, and not tough guys.

there is some credit for doing well in the play-offs, but lets not overrate it. Crabtree can now do well in the play-offs, so can Manningham, point being play-off performance isn't high on the list of WR qualities.

Boldin was pretty productive in the regular season and the Ravens most consistent WR.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another indication of the value of AJ Jenkins.

I don't see this move as bearing directly on Jenkins. He's more of an outside receiver. If anything, with two receivers in Boldin and Crabtree who excel in the short and mid-range area, we need a guy like Jenkins to step up all the more.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also of note, I think Bolden's cap hit is over 7mil, I thought i read 7.13.

We should only be responsible for the 2013 salary. Any bonus would be dead space for the Ravens.

Sorry if I'm repeating others here. Just working my way through the thread.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great move but we still need help on the outside where the GOAT was! We need help on the inside with Vernon as well!! Go 49ers!!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind over-paying for 1 season as long as Boldin is going to be the slot WR.

They still need a Flanker IMO (I know Crabby's played both split end and flanker, but I like him best at split end).

Split End? Not against press coverage - Crabtree absolutely SUCKS at beating press coverage. He is MUCH better operating off the LOS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a bit torn on this move. I don't really care about the 6th rounder. Great value in that regard. But Boldin's salary is pretty high and we don't have a ton of cap space. He's a starting caliber WR, and adds a red zone element that we can desperately use. He also adds a bit more toughness and some real leadership. I don't think it's fair to call him a "possession receiver" given his ability to win contested balls and pick up YAC. But he's not the deep threat we need, either. So we'll have to see what other moves we make/don't make to really evaluate this one.

Given that this team remains primed to push for the playoffs and a SB next year, I don't have a major problem with the move as it stands right now. Especially if we think we're going to lose Delanie and might play more three-receiver sets as a result. Vernon can stretch the field, and we've got speed in the backfield in James and Hunter. But I still want a young player with some size at TE or WR to be a long-term redzone threat.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Split End? Not against press coverage - Crabtree absolutely SUCKS at beating press coverage. He is MUCH better operating off the LOS.

I'd rather have a faster WR than Crabby at flanker. That's where I was hoping Wallace would play. :(

The Niners are probably going to start Boldin & Crabby at WR, and clearly Boldin is the better fit at split end. However, I'm hoping Boldin moves to the slot in 3 WR sets, and maybe Jenkins (or maybe Kenny Stills? Da'Rick Rogers?) goes to flanker.

I'm not gonna lie; I'm still not extremely excited about the WR corps. If the Niners beileve Warmack could play C & trade up for him, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the offense as a whole (especially if they re-sign Walker). Either way, the Niners need to just remember they're a run-first team.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have a faster WR than Crabby at flanker. That's where I was hoping Wallace would play. :(

The Niners are probably going to start Boldin & Crabby at WR, and clearly Boldin is the better fit at split end. However, I'm hoping Boldin moves to the slot in 3 WR sets, and maybe Jenkins (or maybe Kenny Stills? Da'Rick Rogers?) goes to flanker.

I'm not gonna lie; I'm still not extremely excited about the WR corps. If the Niners beileve Warmack could play C & trade up for him, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the offense as a whole (especially if they re-sign Walker). Either way, the Niners need to just remember they're a run-first team.

I don't think that is true. They are a Balanced team. They try to throw and pass the same amount of times per game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think that is true. They are a Balanced team. They try to throw and pass the same amount of times per game.

Let me put it this way: their ability to run the ball sets up the pass; not the other way around.

Defenses are always going to key on the run against the Niners. If they try to get cute and be a pass-first offense, see the Vikings game last year.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think comparing Moss and Boldin at this stage of their careers is completely erroneous. As far as we know only us and the Saints had any interest in signing him. He was lucky to to play last year. You could probably count on one hand the teams that wouldn't love to have Boldin. The only reason the Ravens were considering releasing him is because their cap situation is so tough. Boldin can still play. Moss would catch a ball and basically fall to the ground. Boldin fights for yards, fights for balls and inspires everyone around him.

I like Manningham a lot. He also won't be ready until the season starts and there is no way to know how productive he'll be. I'd absolutely rather pay Boldin 6 mil than 4.9 for a question mark Manningham.

You don't like the deal. No worries. You're entitled to your opinion.