• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Wilson: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a 6th-round pick

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There next closest WR to Boldin in the SB had 50 yards and 1 catch, but keep reaching

I told you I agree with you. Boldin was the reason why they won the superbowl. Boldin was more valuable than Jacoby Jones. Or better yet Boldin was more valuable to the Ravens more so than Culliver outing that evening.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read: "He carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure."

Wrong. It is $6 mill to the niners cap. The $1.531 mill is still part of the Ravens as it was prorated signing bonus.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
a 6th rounder isn't a high price but still, is this the type of WR we needed? but Boldin does have good hands so guess this fits with catching bullets.

He's better than any 6th Rd WR or any player we would have hoped to pick up that late in the draft.

The thing I like about this move is it prevented him from hitting the open market to reduce the final contract amount. He would have been gone for a 7th anyway, so it just makes a lot of sense.

He should still get at around 800 yards w/ Kap next year even if he starts to decline. He almost had 1,000 last year as a #2. Ideally we would have wanted a burner, but he poses problems for a defense and brings awesome playoff experience.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read that Boldin doesn't want to re-structure his contract so this looks like a one and done deal.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, now we can have Kaep throw it to Boldin in practice, and have Culliver covering him. Maybe teach Culliver a thing or two. :-)

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's better than any 6th Rd WR or any player we would have hoped to pick up that late in the draft.

The thing I like about this move is it prevented him from hitting the open market to reduce the final contract amount. He would have been gone for a 7th anyway, so it just makes a lot of sense.

He should still get at around 800 yards w/ Kap next year even if he starts to decline. He almost had 1,000 last year as a #2. Ideally we would have wanted a burner, but he poses problems for a defense and brings awesome playoff experience.

I agree with all of this. But not sure he will get near the 800 yards mark. Nothing against him at all whatsever. Moreso to do with Davis and Crabtree getting most of the targets which will impact his numbers. I just know for fact that Richard Sherman will not try to out muscle him. Boldin will teach him what it means to be fysical with an "F".

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also I am not worried about the $7.2M cap hit. If we really need cap space we can free up another $8M by releasing Whitner and Goodwin, once we figure out who's replacing them. Both of them are overpaid.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Glad we only gave up a 6th round pick.

Seemed kind of like an odd fit. We desperately need a big play, vertical threat guy and Boldin is definitely not that.

Also dont like that he's going to take up a pretty good chunk of our cap. This might take us out of the running for Sean Smith and Revis(this one was a long shot anyways)

But with that said, Boldin is a pretty good player with hopefully something left in the take. We really didn't have #2 receiver at all so needed to make a move.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Boldin-enhanced 49ers
March, 11, 2013 4:34PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

In a typical NFL offseason, trades are somewhat rare, and the players moved in such deals aren't front-line stars. The exceptions, like Donovan McNabb, are usually beyond their prime playing days. This offseason appears to be getting off on quite a different foot. The Kansas City Chiefs traded for a new starting QB in Alex Smith (a former No. 1 overall pick); earlier on Monday, the Seattle Seahawks acquired Percy Harvin, one of the top playmakers in the game; and Monday afternoon, the San Francisco 49ers sent a sixth-round pick to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Anquan Boldin -- according to the Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson. Boldin has been one of the toughest, most reliable pass-catchers in recent postseason memory, and was pivotal in the Ravens' 2012 run to the Super Bowl championship.

With Boldin in place -- once he passes his physical, that is -- the Niners will now feature a core group of Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham and Boldin, with TE Vernon Davis and possibly Delanie Walker, who will hit free agency on Tuesday afternoon if he doesn't strike a new deal. The X-factor will be 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins, who didn't make much of an impact as a rookie. The offseason arms race in the NFC West continues.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you look on ninercaphell.com, there's a lot of cap space than can be freed up if necessary:

Rogers $7.3M - ask him to restructure
Goodwin $5.0M - possible cut
Manningham $4.9M - possible cut
Whitner $4.9M - possible cut
Haralson $2.9M - possible cut

Heck even Gore, once he starts declining, he'll be asked to take a cut from his $6.5M salary.

After we get through this draft, with 14 picks left, I guarantee it that if the coaching staff feels like they drafted guys that can start taking over these positions, the dudes I listed above will get cut and that will free up another $20M in cap space. I think it's almost guaranteed they get cut.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I am looking at this trade it was Alex Smith and a 6th round pick for Anquan Boldin $3 mill in cap relief and 2 second round picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah, its not the 6th rounder that hurt, its his cap hit? so the question is.......is he worth $6M?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Anquan Boldin needs to pass physical before trade with 49ers becomes complete; he's in Africa on mission. Physical, trade completion await.

Aaron Wilson:

Anquan Boldin is in Senegal for relief effort, so he's unavailable for next three days for physical to consummate trade and make it official

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also I am not worried about the $7.2M cap hit. If we really need cap space we can free up another $8M by releasing Whitner and Goodwin, once we figure out who's replacing them. Both of them are overpaid.

but this is beside the point, you're supposed to sign each FA based on his value. the above is using other players to make up for excessively overpaying Boldin

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
prefer Manningham (had he not been hurt) at $4.9 over Boldin at $6.0.....oh well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

the more i look at it, the more i don't see the value? signing FA's is usually overpaying, but its the extent of overpaying?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bill Polian on NFL Live: "With Crabtree and their TEs, they now have a dynamic passing game because Colin Kaepernick can throw the ball up there exactly as Flacco did and Anquan can go get those rebounds. For a 6th-rounder, this is a great deal."

Yikes. Slow down, Bill. Slow down. (Side note: Delanie may not even be back. Not that that would bug me greatly)

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not to like? He was dominant in the post season, he's one of the toughest players in the league, which is becoming exceedingly important in our division, and he'll be a standout locker room guy. Well worth the 6 mil.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut now because we'll need more money in FA.