• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Wilson: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a 6th-round pick

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it this way: their ability to run the ball sets up the pass; not the other way around.

Defenses are always going to key on the run against the Niners. If they try to get cute and be a pass-first offense, see the Vikings game last year.

I disagree. I think they want to be known as a team that can run or pass at any given moment so that teams defenses have to always play both.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree. I think they want to be known as a team that can run or pass at any given moment so that teams defenses have to always play both.

And I want to be known as a dude who can beat up Brock Lesnar. If I actually tried to do it, I would get smashed flat like a cartoon character.

That's my point. When the Niners stop being a run-first team, that's when tehy get in trouble. Until AJ Green gets traded to the 49ers, they need to stick to what they do best.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmmm... Is there a pattern forming with Trent Baalke's FA tactics? Manningham was instrumental in the Giants' win the 49ers in the NFCCG. The 9ers sign him the following off season. Boldin had a huge game in the SB against the 9ers, now they trade for him.. Just saying...

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The salary is a concern, but I'm hoping they're able to restructure to make it a little more friendly. This is a lot more than they've spent on a vet WR.

The main benefit of this move to me is his ability to play effectively in the slot and split out for all the formation shifts. We should see more 3 WR sets next year to take advantage. If Jenkins can do anything, we'd have three WR's who are real comfortable playing in and out of the slot to get favorable matchups/force teams to play more zone. I think that was a big factor in this decision.

His toughness and durability is probably the other reason they want him. He'll come right back from a broken jaw to play. He may get banged up more now that he's older, but he'll be out there if he's got any chance at all of playing which really fits the team's mentality. I think Harbaugh really wanted him after the superbowl and he might have his fingerprints on him. Similar to how he wanted Tolzien after that last SD preseason game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 million is a little steep for a 33 year old, but it's the price we have to pay to maintain our Super Bowl chances. We still need someone to stretch the field, but Boldin should help out in the red zone. He can still be very productive despite not being fast. Apparently, he's never been fast. He only ran a 4.71 40 at the combine 10 years ago.

The Ravens absorb the other 1.5 million of his cap hit, right?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Ravens absorb the other 1.5 million of his cap hit, right?

They absorb 1.5 million of the 7.5 million dollar cap hit.

I think 6 mill' is a little steep too. I was hoping Santonio Holmes would get cut & the Niners would snatch him up. :(

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he isn't turning 34. Plus his game isn't built on speed. I like it a lot.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he isn't turning 34. Plus his game isn't built on speed. I like it a lot.

Hopefully, he'll have a second Super Bowl ring by time he turns 34.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

Time machine: The #49ers tried to trade for Anquan Boldin in 2009 but the Cardinals were unwilling to trade him in the division.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Boldin gets to play them twice now. Lovely. :)

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absorb 1.5 million of the 7.5 million dollar cap hit.

I think 6 mill' is a little steep too. I was hoping Santonio Holmes would get cut & the Niners would snatch him up. :(

I think 6 mil is about right. Boldin is probably worth a little bit more then that. He had better stats then Bowe. Seriously what would Boldin have to produce to make the 6 mil worth it? 60-70 catches for 800-900 yards and 5 TD's?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... Is there a pattern forming with Trent Baalke's FA tactics? Manningham was instrumental in the Giants' win the 49ers in the NFCCG. The 9ers sign him the following off season. Boldin had a huge game in the SB against the 9ers, now they trade for him.. Just saying...

LOL. I don't think so.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF says Boldin has struggled run blocking every single year since he went to Baltimore. According to them, his last year in Arizona was one of the best WR run blocking years a WR had in quite some time.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PFF says Boldin has struggled run blocking every single year since he went to Baltimore. According to them, his last year in Arizona was one of the best WR run blocking years a WR had in quite some time.

Surprising. Would not have thought that of a player like Boldin who has the build and is a tough, physical receiver.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Watching several Baltimores games from the MD region(GF and her WHOLE family are Bal'more fans), I can unequivocally say that he is still a damn good run blocker and a strong part of the reason that Ray Rice has been such an effective runner. I don't care what PFF says.. My eyes tell me other wise.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is he possibly a replacement/upgrade for Walker? Walker wasn't the greatest inline run blocker, but was really effective as an h-back and in motion. I could see Boldin filling that role and bringing much more to the passing game.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I knnow in the other thread this was reacted to negativley but just gonna throw out there, Cruz got a first round tender and the cap hit is $2.879 (granted he wants a new contract).

The 2.879 only applies to the Giants. If he leaves, he'll have a different cap number.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2.879 only applies to the Giants. If he leaves, he'll have a different cap number.

That's too bad. I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have Cruz for cheap. He would be an excellent compliment to Boldin and Crabtree IMO. all though I know there are some people on this board who feel as if Cruz is over rated. Clearly I am not one of them.