• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Fields to the Steelers for a 6th round pick?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, then I don't see either being an option. I can't imagine a GM would pick up a $25 million option on a Fields right now without seeing some good success against NFL teams in regular season games.

That's why I don't think you can press pause and see what Fields does with the same OC the next two years. Outside of him just drastically blowing people away this summer, and winning the starting job over RW, I just don't see a path forward for him. Especially knowing they have until May to pick up his 5th year option.

He has about 6 months to prove himself. I think he'll be traded to a desperate team who loses their QB early in the season.

It's an interesting situation but given that they got Russ for almost nothing they have some room to work with.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even exaggerating every single Bears fan I've met personally hates the trade.

For the value they should. It would've been better to put him in bubble wrap and wait for a camp injury (or someone to lose out in the draft). It's tough to lose out on the young hopeful that you've been building faith in over the past few years as the future of your franchise for a future 4th/6th. Caleb should smooth that out once they get familiar, but some will point to the other additions that would've helped Fields as well.

Strange burden generated by having a surprise #1 pick and an elite QB prospect fall into your lap...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have plenty of game film on Darnold, Dobbs, Pickett, Garrapolo, Mishew, etc and they keep getting contracts. It's a chicken/egg argument for the blame, but you can't bring along a young QB constantly changing the OC. It's the money decision that kept teams from having more interest.

He hasn't established himself as a consistent threat throwing the ball but he has the running ability to fall back on, something that the other QBs in his passing stat range can't match. Judging him as a lost cause is really just trolling at this point. If the Bears didn't have the Panthers' pick this year, they would be looking to build on his progress last season as their starting QB.
I also think it's worth noting that NFL player personnel folks make tons of mistakes - particularly at the QB position. The fact that Lamar Jackson got little attention when he could have been available and then teams throw 100 million dollars at a 35 year old Kurt Cousins with a busted achilles tells you something. Baker Mayfield is another - You could have had him for next to nothing last offseason and his only real crime was injuring his shoulder in Cleveland and then playing for the dumpster fire that is Carolina. Point being - Situations do matter and it's crazy how fast people forget why guys were considered first round talents.

Fields has an intriguing skill set. And he's been in a bad situation. If Pittsburgh is serious about riding with Russ, I don't think Fields will be anything more than a 1 year rental player for that team. It will be interesting to see how his career plays out.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have plenty of game film on Darnold, Dobbs, Pickett, Garrapolo, Mishew, etc and they keep getting contracts. It's a chicken/egg argument for the blame, but you can't bring along a young QB constantly changing the OC. It's the money decision that kept teams from having more interest.

He hasn't established himself as a consistent threat throwing the ball but he has the running ability to fall back on, something that the other QBs in his passing stat range can't match. Judging him as a lost cause is really just trolling at this point. If the Bears didn't have the Panthers' pick this year, they would be looking to build on his progress last season as their starting QB.

Exactly, I guess they see things in those players that Fields doesn't display. They too have had many OC's, yet they still get contracts and opportunities. Teams could have easily had Justin Fields on the cheap (for at least two seasons) if they thought he had legit potential. He's played more than enough games to show that to them, regardless of how many OC's he has had.

I'm not judging him as a lost cause, just stating the obvious, he hasn't shown enough for scouts and GM's to risk anything of value on him. That says A LOT, and I just refuse to blame his lack of success on his coaches at this point, especially when many other QB's have had similar coaching changes and still managed to succeed or get starting opportunities from other teams.

Maybe he'll have his Geno Smith moment, but right now, literally no one has confidence in him as their starting QB....in spite of his age, cheap contract, and experience.

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even exaggerating every single Bears fan I've met personally hates the trade.
For the value they should. It would've been better to put him in bubble wrap and wait for a camp injury (or someone to lose out in the draft). It's tough to lose out on the young hopeful that you've been building faith in over the past few years as the future of your franchise for a future 4th/6th. Caleb should smooth that out once they get familiar, but some will point to the other additions that would've helped Fields as well.

Strange burden generated by having a surprise #1 pick and an elite QB prospect fall into your lap...

The Bears had no choice. They should have heavily marketed him weeks ago, but it appears they held out. This is a no win situation. They need Caleb Williams to have no distractions. With him being the #1 pick, he will have control of the team for at least the next 2 seasons (outside of a complete breakdown or terrible injury). The Bears will have a decent team to surround him with, so he should have plenty of opportunity to shine in Chicago. They don't need the pressure of Fields on the bench if Williams starts out slow next season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears had no choice. They should have heavily marketed him weeks ago, but it appears they held out. This is a no win situation. They need Caleb Williams to have no distractions. With him being the #1 pick, he will have control of the team for at least the next 2 seasons (outside of a complete breakdown or terrible injury). The Bears will have a decent team to surround him with, so he should have plenty of opportunity to shine in Chicago. They don't need the pressure of Fields on the bench if Williams starts out slow next season.

I think that's overstated. All they would need to do is give clear statements that Caleb is the starter. The Broncos have already done so with him vs Russ.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's overstated. All they would need to do is give clear statements that Caleb is the starter. The Broncos have already done so with him vs Russ.

Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe they thought that teams would start bidding against each other or something for Fields, especially if they thought the Bears may consider keeping him. The fact of the matter is that everyone in the NFL knew that the Bears were going with Williams in the draft. I can't imagine there is a GM in the past 3-4 decades that would risk their job by trading away what many consider a generational QB at the beginning of his career, to keep a guy who has a 40TD 30INT on 60% CMP% in nearly 40 starts as their starting QB. (with 2023 not being a great improvement from the previous season)

They overvalued Fields appeal to other NFL teams, just like many fans do with Fields now. In the end, they realized that no one really sees enough potential in him to give him a chance as a starting QB right now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying the misjudgment is by the other teams, not the Bears. They're following the correct playbook, just didn't get good trade value.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe they thought that teams would start bidding against each other or something for Fields, especially if they thought the Bears may consider keeping him. The fact of the matter is that everyone in the NFL knew that the Bears were going with Williams in the draft. I can't imagine there is a GM in the past 3-4 decades that would risk their job by trading away what many consider a generational QB at the beginning of his career, to keep a guy who has a 40TD 30INT on 60% CMP% in nearly 40 starts as their starting QB. (with 2023 not being a great improvement from the previous season)

They overvalued Fields appeal to other NFL teams, just like many fans do with Fields now. In the end, they realized that no one really sees enough potential in him to give him a chance as a starting QB right now.
This. 100%. The Bears, and Fields fans, overvalued him. It was pretty clear that what the rest of the league GMs thought of him.

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying the misjudgment is by the other teams, not the Bears. They're following the correct playbook, just didn't get good trade value.

Oh...I guess I don't see what you see in Fields. As a Lions fan, I was worried when they drafted him. I thought they might have stolen him in the draft giving the Lions trouble for years to come, but after watching him play this season (I usually try not to judge a QB by most of their first two seasons), I just didn't see him as being anything but a flashy QB from time to time. Maybe a good OC can bring out his full potential and give him the ability for consistency from game to game, but really, what great OC would want to risk their career on Fields right now? (or GM or Head Coach)

I probably now put him in the category of Trey Lance and Geno Smith. Lot's of potential, and may develop later on in the right system. I think Fields best chance of success is to be traded mid season to a team that is still in the playoff hunt who has a QB get injured. Unfortunately, he will still have to battle coming onto a team and playing a with a new OC (new to him). (the same thing you said has held him back in his career so far)

Last edited: