• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Wilson: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers for a 6th-round pick

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that means no Manningham? Why can't this just move faster.

What are we going to do when we win the Super Bowl? We'll have no team to take their WRs from... steal from our own by getting hometown discounts and restructuring for the betterment of the team? ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco's deal was cheap against the cap this year and the Ravens were asking for a pay cut this year, right? If so, the knee jerk reactions that some have that Flacco's contract facilitated this is off base. They'd wait until next year to release or trade him if they were good on cap this year, right?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin for a sixth is a great deal for us...

but why am I not so excited with this move yet?

I'm sure I will be in time. It's Bodin for crying out loud.

we didn't give up much that's for sure

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin has changed his twitter profile to say he is a 49er.

Barrows also said he heard the 6th round pick we traded was the lowest one.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Monday's trade of Boldin to the 49ers is the first trade between teams that met in the previous Super Bowl since the St. Louis Rams traded both Kole Ayi and Grant Williams (in separate trades) to the New England Patriots for draft picks in the 2002 offseason. Williams played in Super Bowl XXXVI for the Rams. Ayi did not.

The exact answer to the question I had posed yesterday.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Monday's trade of Boldin to the 49ers is the first trade between teams that met in the previous Super Bowl since the St. Louis Rams traded both Kole Ayi and Grant Williams (in separate trades) to the New England Patriots for draft picks in the 2002 offseason. Williams played in Super Bowl XXXVI for the Rams. Ayi did not.

The exact answer to the question I had posed yesterday.

Wow, I don't even remember Grant Williams.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this move was crazy when I first heard it yesterday, and still think it's crazy for the Ravens today.

Good pick up for you guys.. I'd probly put Boldin in the top 5 for current NFL WR's

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this move was crazy when I first heard it yesterday, and still think it's crazy for the Ravens today.

Good pick up for you guys.. I'd probly put Boldin in the top 5 for current NFL WR's

For the Ravens, the unfortunate reality of making someone the highest paid player is that you have to make sacrifices at other positions to accommodate that large cap hit and hope you can replace the guy through the draft. I doubt this was a trade or move they wanted to make, but they really had no choice after paying Flacco so much.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Ravens, the unfortunate reality of making someone the highest paid player is that you have to make sacrifices at other positions to accommodate that large cap hit and hope you can replace the guy through the draft. I doubt this was a trade or move they wanted to make, but they really had no choice after paying Flacco so much.

Long term, Flacco's contract surely affects them, but isn't this year's hit really small? I heard $2M but that sounds wrong. If it is low, they could have cut Boldin or traded him next year. That 6th rounder goes to a seventh, but you got one more year of him. IMO, the 6M due to Boldin was a bigger factor in their plans to maybe front load some contract or restructuring for some other player. That, of course, is affected by the Flacco deal.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term, Flacco's contract surely affects them, but isn't this year's hit really small? I heard $2M but that sounds wrong. If it is low, they could have cut Boldin or traded him next year. That 6th rounder goes to a seventh, but you got one more year of him. IMO, the 6M due to Boldin was a bigger factor in their plans to maybe front load some contract or restructuring for some other player. That, of course, is affected by the Flacco deal.

They wanted to re-sign guys like Ellerbe. That is what is hurting them. Kruger is a goner as well. Can't pay them all.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that makes sense. Flacco's contract seems a bit ridiculous for what he brings, but eh.. I don't care for the Ravens so good for them I guess.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anquan Boldin's declining speed made him expendable

Pete Prisco has got to be one of the worst guys covering football.

Basically he says Boldin's declining speed makes him expendable because he can't get separation while acknowledging the fact that Boldin was never fast and able to get separation in the first place and made a career of being able to catch the ball not being open.

Isn't that entire line of thinking contradictory in itself?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know his cap hit, but I figured with a 29 mil signing bonus that a pretty big chunk of that would go against the cap this year. At least 4.8 mil if they spread it out evenly across the 6 years, although for some reason I thought a big chunk of signing bonuses were against the cap the 1st year and then the rest was spread out over the remaining years.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anquan Boldin's declining speed made him expendable

Pete Prisco has got to be one of the worst guys covering football.

Basically he says Boldin's declining speed makes him expendable because he can't get separation while acknowledging the fact that Boldin was never fast and able to get separation in the first place and made a career of being able to catch the ball not being open.

Isn't that entire line of thinking contradictory in itself?

Greg Cosell said the same thing.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'd like to see them add Amendola

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Maiocco:

49ers GM Trent Baalke on newly added WR Anquan Boldin: "He is a highly competitive and productive player with strong leadership qualities."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I can't agree with that at all. Probably not top-15. But he's still a good player and a leader. It's a solid move, but we still have issues at WR an this doesn't answer them IMO.