• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fletcher needs 2 strong defensive pieces and one strong offensive player. I've noticed that teams who have had a lot of success while building their rosters, have been bringing in hard nosed blue collar players, who have also been on winning teams in the past. There are a lot of these guys available at a reasonable price. It's not only about bringing in better and stronger talent, there still is a HUGE need for a winning attitude to be instilled.
We certainly could use a winning attitude from top to bottom.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus he has won a Stanley cup which we could use as most teams who win a cup have at least one player on the team whom has won before
We have been missing a mean streak player that has decent size that can score.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Sign and trades are very uncommon in the NHL, but it does seem to hint that Hamilton may not be signing in Carolina after all.
How much do you think his next contract will be? There have been plenty of trading a players rights, I think we did that with Hayes, but I don't recall any recent sign and trades. The player can dictate where he wants to go as he can refuse to sign and become a FA.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much do you think his next contract will be? There have been plenty of trading a players rights, I think we did that with Hayes, but I don't recall any recent sign and trades. The player can dictate where he wants to go as he can refuse to sign and become a FA.
I thought they had to resign with their current team, then be traded? If so then I think a player would just go the free agency route.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. I guess the difference with a sign and trade is the team trading for him will know he is signed. Rather than trading for someone's rights and then having them refuse to sign a deal. Like the Hamhuis did a few years ago to the Flyers (and then to the Pens after the Flyers flipped his rights to them). So in that case, Carolina could get a more significant return.

That being said, I don't see how Carolina can hold that leverage to make it a true sign and trade. Hamilton could reach a handshake agreement with a team, but refuse to sign with the Canes to make sure his new team doesn't give up as much to get him. I don't know. Seems like an odd situation. And I can't remember a true 'sign and trade' situation in the NHL either. So I think that's pretty unlikely.

As for how much, Pietrangelo is probably the closest comparable of a 1RD hitting free agency. He got 8.8x7. Friedman said on his podcast Friday he doesn't expect Hamilton will get that much, but also talked about it as a comparable. So based on that, I expect Hamilton will get 7.5-8.5 for 7 years.

The real nice thing about this though is that the Flyers can figure out where they stand with Hamilton ahead of the expansion draft, entry draft, and free agency. Unless Fletcher is a total asshat, he should know in the next week or two if the Flyers have a chance to sign Hamilton or not.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they had to resign with their current team, then be traded? If so then I think a player would just go the free agency route.

You can trade players' rights too. Most of the time that's like a mid-round pick for the player's rights. Then the new team has exclusive negotiating rights with the player prior to free agency, but nobody is under any obligation to sign a deal. So the risk is, you give up the draft pick for nothing.

But Carolina gave everyone access to negotiate with Hamilton. So there's not really a reason to trade for his rights now. Or at least, Carolina would ask for a fortune to do so because it'd be an indicator that Hamilton has come to an agreement with that team.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have been missing a mean streak player that has decent size that can score.
You're preaching to the choir. Ive been asking for this type of player and this type of team for years.

Its just this type of player/players that are built for playoff hockey.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got really depressed listening to nhl radio today. Realistically where do flyers end up in metro next year.

Hopefully fletcher reading this board so he can see the options you hockey guys are throwing out.

“stay the course” puts us at 6th in metro - best case.
If our top offensive players continue to be Gee and Jake well be lucky to be in 6th next season.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I guess the difference with a sign and trade is the team trading for him will know he is signed. Rather than trading for someone's rights and then having them refuse to sign a deal. Like the Hamhuis did a few years ago to the Flyers (and then to the Pens after the Flyers flipped his rights to them). So in that case, Carolina could get a more significant return.

That being said, I don't see how Carolina can hold that leverage to make it a true sign and trade. Hamilton could reach a handshake agreement with a team, but refuse to sign with the Canes to make sure his new team doesn't give up as much to get him. I don't know. Seems like an odd situation. And I can't remember a true 'sign and trade' situation in the NHL either. So I think that's pretty unlikely.

As for how much, Pietrangelo is probably the closest comparable of a 1RD hitting free agency. He got 8.8x7. Friedman said on his podcast Friday he doesn't expect Hamilton will get that much, but also talked about it as a comparable. So based on that, I expect Hamilton will get 7.5-8.5 for 7 years.

The real nice thing about this though is that the Flyers can figure out where they stand with Hamilton ahead of the expansion draft, entry draft, and free agency. Unless Fletcher is a total asshat, he should know in the next week or two if the Flyers have a chance to sign Hamilton or not.
But is he mean enough ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is he mean enough ?

Heck no. He'll be Public Enemy #1 among Flyers fans by December. Honestly if I were him I wouldn't touch Philly with a 10 foot pole. He's exactly the type of home team player Philly loves to hate. 6-6 230, highest paid player, and doesn't hit people. He won't last a month if they struggle out of the gates.

I think he'd greatly improve the blueline and absolutely would not deserve the criticism he's likely to get. But his lack of physicality is part of why he's not my #1 choice.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandin and Rubtsov re-signed today. Don't really expect them to play for the Flyers, but I am kinda surprised they re-signed. I thought both would go to Europe. 1 year, 750k each.

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a bottom 6 guy, Erik Haula could be an option. Gritty and can PK. 4th line center.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Saad is a free agent, he'd be a good pick up IMO. Lots of winning experiences and still plays well.

Agreed. If they have room to add a top 6 forward, I think Saad checks a lot of boxes.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a bottom 6 guy, Erik Haula could be an option. Gritty and can PK. 4th line center.

I like Haula too. I'd like to see them try to get a little more winning experience at the bottom of the lineup just because that's a little more flexible. But I do like him.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our old friend Gus played only 13:45 and was a minus 1 last night

Cole Caufield scored the only Canadiens goal

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Haula too. I'd like to see them try to get a little more winning experience at the bottom of the lineup just because that's a little more flexible. But I do like him.
Joe Thornton is a free agent and only makes 700K