• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also quit bring Myers up in the equation, that dude sucks. I also should note I just said that about Carey Price to and he went all superstar in us soooo...

Lol. I'm just saying, he's got about 50 games of promising and 50 games of garbage. Which 50 is the real 50, or is he somewhere in between? At 2.25M, I can see the logic behind taking a chance on him. For the Flyers or for another team. If he pans out, awesome. If he doesn't, it doesn't, 2.25M doesn't kill you.

I think that's one of Fletcher's biggest questions to answer this offseason. If he thinks Myers' hockey sense won't catch up with his size, skating, skill; then he should trade him. Because I'm willing to bet there's a few teams that are willing to trade for him in hopes that his hockey sense does catch up. Because if it does, you've got a great player.

I honestly could go either way. He was, BY FAR, my most disappointing player this year. He sucked. There's no other way to talk about it. But there's a lot of potential there if he does figure it out.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I talked about moving on from Hagg and Myers both. I think Braun will likely stay. He's got 1 year on his deal, I think he brings a good veteran presence and can play sound defense. He's not a world beater, but if you can get him slotted right on the 3rd pair. I think he's a good fit.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the Flyers to turn over 4 out of 6 d-slots this offseason though. Seems like it maybe shouldn't be that hard, but it never happens in the NHL. So I don't think it's realistic to expect them to do that. I think Provorov and Braun are pretty likely to come back. And I think at least one, of Sanheim or Myers will be on the team too. And I think York makes a run at a spot.

Which leaves two open spots if Sanheim or Myers gets moved. Which is what we've been discussing.
I misunderstood then cause in a couple of those Scenarios you have Myers slotted in there, but I see you meant if we had to trade Sanheim.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misunderstood then cause in a couple of those Scenarios you have Myers slotted in there, but I see you meant if we had to trade Sanheim.

Yep. I don't think they should move on from both Sanheim and Myers this summer. Keep one of the tall guys that can skate in hopes they turn into something great.

But if they have to move one of them to make the defense better, then absolutely they should.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I don't think they should move on from both Sanheim and Myers this summer. Keep one of the tall guys that can skate in hopes they turn into something great.

But if they have to move one of them to make the defense better, then absolutely they should.
Agreed and I hope we can keep Sanheim in that scenario.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we can add Ellis, then do you go after a Savard or Millar? Can you afford it? What ifs are the biggest killers.

Ya for sure. I don't know if the cap can handle it. But I mentioned Savard, Miller, Larsson, Montour, and Hakanpaa as guys I'd look in addition to Ellis/Jones/Hamilton/Klingberg. Las added Oleksiak and I would consider him as well.

Provorov (6.75) / Ellis (6.25)
Sanheim (5*) / Savard (4*)
York (.880) / Braun (1.8)
Hagg (1.6)

That's 26.3M.

Giroux (8.28) , Jake (8.25), Hayes (7.14), TK (5.5), Couturier (4.3), Lindblom (3), Laughton (3), NAK (1.1), Laczynski (.925), Farabee (.925), Patrick (1*), Allison (.925), Frost (.863)

Is 45.2. Total of 71.5M

Hart (2*)
Decent backup (2.5*)

Is 4.5. Total of 76M. So still room to spare with that group. That means moving Ghost (4.5), JvR (7), and Myers (2.55) without retaining salary.

* numbers are my guesses at new contracts. Saheim/Hart are RFA. "Decent backup" and Savard would be UFA signings.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So based on that, ya I think it's doable. I think that defense is pretty solid. And hopefully Hart bounces back and is a top half of the NHL caliber goalie and I think you're in pretty good shape goal prevention wise.

The forward group relies on some combination of NAK, Lindblom, Patrick bouncing back and/or Frost, Allison, and Laczynski making a difference as essentially rookies. Not totally out of the question I guess, but I don't know that I'd be excited about that group. Maybe Patrick goes as part of the effort to land Ellis and you use what's left of the cap to try to add a little more firepower since you're losing about 25 goals and 38 assists from JvR (extrapolating his 2021 season).

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Farabee-Hayes-Voracek
Lindblom-Frost-Allison
Laczynski-Laughton-NAK?

Doesn't look great, but if you can add a middle 6 guy in free agency that puts NAK in the press box maybe you've got a decent group. Get a decent 3C that can slot Frost at the wing instead and take some pressure off. Particularly if it's a defensive minded 3C. Maybe you put that guy with Lindblom and Farabee and you've got a nice shut down line that can also contribute offensively. Or maybe you just put Lindblom/Farabee with Hayes and have that be your shut down line. They'd still pack a decent punch though too. Then you've got Voracek, Frost, and Allison as a more offensively charged 3rd line that you try to line up against other teams' scrubs so they can feast. Then you're just looking for a good energy/defensive guy to put on the 4th line and it could be at W or C since Laughton can play either.

Casey Cziskas could fit the mold, but he probably re-signs with NYI. Joel Armia had a solid season with Montreal, not sure if he'd be available. Sean Kuraly could fit that kind of role.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you end up with something like..

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Hayes-Farabee
Allison-Frost-Voracek
Laczynski-Kuraly-Laughton

Provorov - Ellis
Sanheim - Savard
York - Braun

Hart

I don't think they're a cup favorite on paper there by any means. But I think that's a competitive squad. Hart, TK, Provorov, Lindblom, and Sanheim bounce back and they could be pretty solid. If they commit to defense they could be a real bitch to score against. Every group would be sound defensively except the 3rd line which you could probably shelter and give O-zone starts to. Still missing a real winner or two, but maybe there's one available at the deadline to take them home. Or maybe Savard wins it this year.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I'm just saying, he's got about 50 games of promising and 50 games of garbage. Which 50 is the real 50, or is he somewhere in between? At 2.25M, I can see the logic behind taking a chance on him. For the Flyers or for another team. If he pans out, awesome. If he doesn't, it doesn't, 2.25M doesn't kill you.

I think that's one of Fletcher's biggest questions to answer this offseason. If he thinks Myers' hockey sense won't catch up with his size, skating, skill; then he should trade him. Because I'm willing to bet there's a few teams that are willing to trade for him in hopes that his hockey sense does catch up. Because if it does, you've got a great player.

I honestly could go either way. He was, BY FAR, my most disappointing player this year. He sucked. There's no other way to talk about it. But there's a lot of potential there if he does figure it out.
Myers falls short of the most disappointing Flyer this year as Patrick wins that award hands down.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myers falls short of the most disappointing Flyer this year as Patrick wins that award hands down.

Touche. I can agree with that. I had higher expectations for Myers than I did for Patrick, but Patrick's season was just downright depressing.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya for sure. I don't know if the cap can handle it. But I mentioned Savard, Miller, Larsson, Montour, and Hakanpaa as guys I'd look in addition to Ellis/Jones/Hamilton/Klingberg. Las added Oleksiak and I would consider him as well.

Provorov (6.75) / Ellis (6.25)
Sanheim (5*) / Savard (4*)
York (.880) / Braun (1.8)
Hagg (1.6)

That's 26.3M.

Giroux (8.28) , Jake (8.25), Hayes (7.14), TK (5.5), Couturier (4.3), Lindblom (3), Laughton (3), NAK (1.1), Laczynski (.925), Farabee (.925), Patrick (1*), Allison (.925), Frost (.863)

Is 45.2. Total of 71.5M

Hart (2*)
Decent backup (2.5*)

Is 4.5. Total of 76M. So still room to spare with that group. That means moving Ghost (4.5), JvR (7), and Myers (2.55) without retaining salary.

* numbers are my guesses at new contracts. Saheim/Hart are RFA. "Decent backup" and Savard would be UFA signings.
Wouldn't that be crazy if Gee and Jake offered to restructure their contracts to free up some cash to get them to that cup they've been seeking?:whistle:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Touche. I can agree with that. I had higher expectations for Myers than I did for Patrick, but Patrick's season was just downright depressing.
To be fair, one came off a season where he didn't play at all, and one came off a decent season, you guys aren't helping Myers case lol. I'd like to see Patrick get a full season in from camp all the way through then make a judgemeby.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that be crazy if Gee and Jake offered to restructure their contracts to free up some cash to get them to that cup they've been seeking?:whistle:

Ha. Would certainly be nice. But it’s not even an option in the CBA. So even if they wanted to, they can’t.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, one came off a season where he didn't play at all, and one came off a decent season, you guys aren't helping Myers case lol. I'd like to see Patrick get a full season in from camp all the way through then make a judgemeby.

I’d like to see Patrick get another year too. He’s the best chance for the Flyers to get a top 6 forward on the cheap. Outside of a good stretch like 3 years ago, he hasn’t even been close to that. But I’d go one more year.

But the momentum seems to be with him getting moved this summer. So I can only hope it’s in the deal that brings a 1RD.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got really depressed listening to nhl radio today. Realistically where do flyers end up in metro next year.

Hopefully fletcher reading this board so he can see the options you hockey guys are throwing out.

“stay the course” puts us at 6th in metro - best case.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got really depressed listening to nhl radio today. Realistically where do flyers end up in metro next year.

Hopefully fletcher reading this board so he can see the options you hockey guys are throwing out.

“stay the course” puts us at 6th in metro - best case.
Fletcher needs 2 strong defensive pieces and one strong offensive player. I've noticed that teams who have had a lot of success while building their rosters, have been bringing in hard nosed blue collar players, who have also been on winning teams in the past. There are a lot of these guys available at a reasonable price. It's not only about bringing in better and stronger talent, there still is a HUGE need for a winning attitude to be instilled.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hayes can play at 2C, maybe try to sign UFA Blake Coleman. I found this on him.

Blake Coleman. Great defensive forward that can score 20 goals and play with a mean streak.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL radio also said there is a glut of back up goalie options. should depress the salaries..

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Sign and trades are very uncommon in the NHL, but it does seem to hint that Hamilton may not be signing in Carolina after all.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hayes can play at 2C, maybe try to sign UFA Blake Coleman. I found this on him.

Blake Coleman. Great defensive forward that can score 20 goals and play with a mean streak.
Plus he has won a Stanley cup which we could use as most teams who win a cup have at least one player on the team whom has won before