• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2025 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need someone who can be cut immediately if Eldridge makes the jump. If Goldy asks for 16M (which he very well might), than rule him out. I would imagine we could get Tellez at a decent price (same with Canha).

But Wade is probably the best option of these. When healthy, he is effective. And while he is a bit midget-ish, he still provides decent D at 1st. And if Eldridge does arrive early, he can be moved to the OF for depth.
I think this makes sense. I expect LWJ to be back.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tellez just got DFA’d. He isn’t a huge get either way, but it does make him very affordable for next year. I would love it if we were able to get him as a camp invitee.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember all too well, but didn’t Tellez hop on the SF area sucks bandwagon this off-season? I thought he was one of the more vocal ones about the ballparks surrounding area. Could be wrong. I’ll look for anything supporting (or not supporting as the case may be).

EDIT: found it

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tellez just got DFA’d. He isn’t a huge get either way, but it does make him very affordable for next year. I would love it if we were able to get him as a camp invitee.

Four plate appearances short of a $200,000 bonus. Pirates say the move was not financially driven. Riiiiiiight.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t remember all too well, but didn’t Tellez hop on the SF area sucks bandwagon this off-season? I thought he was one of the more vocal ones about the ballparks surrounding area. Could be wrong. I’ll look for anything supporting (or not supporting as the case may be).

EDIT: found it

I had forgotten about that. But I do remember it now that you bring it up.

He grew up a Giants fan, though, if I remember that correctly), so i wonder what he feels about joining the Giants professionally. I wonder how big a draw is for players in general to play for their childhood team. I suspect it is actually much less of a draw than we as fans expect. This is their career, and there are much more, stronger reasons for them to sign with this team or that.

I always thought it was kinda stupid for everyone to think Judge was going to sign with the Giants. He is a grown ass man who doesn’t need to live down the street from his mommy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Four plate appearances short of a $200,000 bonus. Pirates say the move was not financially driven. Riiiiiiight.
THESE kinds of moves are noticed around the league by players. This is why the Pirates have not been influential since the ‘70s.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten about that. But I do remember it now that you bring it up.

He grew up a Giants fan, though, if I remember that correctly), so i wonder what he feels about joining the Giants professionally. I wonder how big a draw is for players in general to play for their childhood team. I suspect it is actually much less of a draw than we as fans expect. This is their career, and there are much more, stronger reasons for them to sign with this team or that.

I always thought it was kinda stupid for everyone to think Judge was going to sign with the Giants. He is a grown ass man who doesn’t need to live down the street from his mommy.
I think it’s a big thing for people that aren’t close to being able to do it…someone like me lol. Once you’re good enough to play anywhere and see the business side of the game, I think you’re right, not a big thing at all to most.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to FZ on KNBR...sounds to me like he's expecting to be fired.

To be fair, it was a shitshow when he took over and the org is in a MUCH better place now. Decent young roster, good org depth, prospects. Lots of $$ to spend. Whoever steps in will be in a very good position.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2025 question: I assume we are going to be "in on" both Adames and Kim.

Who would you rather have?

Adames 7/$175M
Kim 4/$50M

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just listened to FZ on KNBR...sounds to me like he's expecting to be fired.

To be fair, it was a shitshow when he took over and the org is in a MUCH better place now. Decent young roster, good org depth, prospects. Lots of $$ to spend. Whoever steps in will be in a very good position.
I heard a LOT on KNBR this morning that whoever takes over for him will be coming into a situation that is much better than the situation that FZ came into.

Well, of course. He came in while the org was “paying the Piper” for the championship years. The cupboard was bare. But he didn’t restock the cupboard to the point that he should have after 6 years. We have one blue-chip prospect in the system right now. Only the 2nd that he added during his tenure, and the first has yet to develop into a star (Harrison still looks good, but he is FAR from a can’t miss stud at this point). He was also handed 2 blue-chip prospects (one was semi-blue chip) in Ramos and Luciano. After SIX seasons, one is just now getting his head above water and the other is looking more and more like a bust after the org apparently refused to acknowledge his defensive liabilities at SS year after year. He looks to have drafted pitchers well. It is hard to challenge him on that. And maybe there is enough “there there” that he could argue to keep his job. But drafting pitchers has always been an org strength, so I am not sure how much of that is on him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a LOT on KNBR this morning that whoever takes over for him will be coming into a situation that is much better than the situation that FZ came into.

Well, of course. He came in while the org was “paying the Piper” for the championship years. The cupboard was bare. But he didn’t restock the cupboard to the point that he should have after 6 years. We have one blue-chip prospect in the system right now. Only the 2nd that he added during his tenure, and the first has yet to develop into a star (Harrison still looks good, but he is FAR from a can’t miss stud at this point). He was also handed 2 blue-chip prospects (one was semi-blue chip) in Ramos and Luciano. After SIX seasons, one is just now getting his head above water and the other is looking more and more like a bust after the org apparently refused to acknowledge his defensive liabilities at SS year after year. He looks to have drafted pitchers well. It is hard to challenge him on that. And maybe there is enough “there there” that he could argue to keep his job. But drafting pitchers has always been an org strength, so I am not sure how much of that is on him.
TBH I'm not enthused about FZ leaving. Granted he took waaay to long to do anything, but I can't fault the moves he made this year, including the crop of (potential) young talent. Though I doubt we'll see much more success in '25, a core group should emerge

My fear is a new GM would put his thumb on the scale to go in a different direction, which could result in more lost seasons.

Right now I feel the issue is the coaching staff which may or may not include BoMel. There has to be an emphasis on a consistent team approach to scoring runs. We're starting to get some speed and we need to use it better. Get on base, move the line, eek out a run wherever possible.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH I'm not enthused about FZ leaving. Granted he took waaay to long to do anything, but I can't fault the moves he made this year, including the crop of (potential) young talent. Though I doubt we'll see much more success in '25, a core group should emerge

My fear is a new GM would put his thumb on the scale to go in a different direction, which could result in more lost seasons.

Right now I feel the issue is the coaching staff which may or may not include BoMel. There has to be an emphasis on a consistent team approach to scoring runs. We're starting to get some speed and we need to use it better. Get on base, move the line, eke out a run wherever possible.
That is always the fear. And well placed.

but at some point, you have to cut bait. This guy fumbled and bumbled for years. Yes, he improved the farm, but NOT ENOUGH. The farm was empty (not literally, of course, but it was not deep in any way). Having ANYTHING 6 years later would be classified as an improvement. But only adding 2 bluechippers in 6 seasons (Harrison and Eldridge; Arias may be one as well, tbf), is not a good track record.

And he has only graduated one “star” to date (Bailey; and calling him a “star” is a stretch, tbf). Ramos may be a star (he inherited him, but he also developed him). Fitz is putting up star-ish numbers, but I don’t think any of us really expect him to be a legit STAR. Harrison may be a star, but he hasn’t shown it yet, at all. Maybe Walker.

At some point, you just need to take the L and move on.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is always the fear. And well placed.

but at some point, you have to cut bait. This guy fumbled and bumbled for years. Yes, he improved the farm, but NOT ENOUGH. The farm was empty (not literally, of course, but it was not deep in any way). Having ANYTHING 6 years later would be classified as an improvement. But only adding 2 bluechippers in 6 seasons (Harrison and Eldridge; Arias may be one as well, tbf), is not a good track record.

And he has only graduated one “star” to date (Bailey; and calling him a “star” is a stretch, tbf). Ramos may be a star (he inherited him, but he also developed him). Fitz is putting up star-ish numbers, but I don’t think any of us really expect him to be a legit STAR. Harrison may be a star, but he hasn’t shown it yet, at all. Maybe Walker.

At some point, you just need to take the L and move on.
Granted, can't disagree.

But if we look at where were are today and plot a trajectory, I just don't see a new GM in '25 improving on what I see as a trajectory. Maybe let it ride another year and if no improvement go in a different direction

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, can't disagree.

But if we look at where were are today and plot a trajectory, I just don't see a new GM in '25 improving on what I see as a trajectory. Maybe let it ride another year and if no improvement go in a different direction
40% of the league makes the playoffs every year. FZ has 1 playoff appearance under his watch, and that the most flukiest of flukey seasons ever. And a 1st round exit.