• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2025 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Snell opts out and Ray and Flores opt in and all Arb players are brought back…

”locked” 26 spots…

Hicks
Ray
Rodriguez
Ta Rogers
Small

Bailey
Murphy

Chapman
Flores
Villar
Wade
Walton

Encarnation
Ramos
Yastrzemski

Other “Locked” spots (options remaining)…

Harrison (3)
Miller (3)
Webb (1)
Ty Rogers (3)
Walker (3)

Fitzgerald (2)

Lee (3)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Snell opts out and Ray and Flores opt in and all Arb players are brought back…

”locked” 26 spots…

Hicks
Ray
Rodriguez
Ta Rogers
Small

Bailey
Murphy

Chapman
Flores
Villar
Wade
Walton

Encarnation
Ramos
Yastrzemski

Other “Locked” spots (options remaining)…

Harrison (3)
Miller (3)
Webb (1)
Ty Rogers (3)
Walker (3)

Fitzgerald (2)

Lee (3)
of the fully locked guys, I think Walton is gone. Villar and Flores MIGHT be competing for the same spot. But maybe they bring someone else in (Canha) in place of both of them? I think Small will AT LEAST make it to ST and will be given a legit shot at making the team.

I expect all the guys I listed with options remaining to make the team.

That means we have spots open at SS/2B (Kim?), 1 or 2 SPs (lots of internal options: Birdy, Black, Beck, Hicks, Bivens), MAYBE one or 2 bully spots (low priority) and MAYBE 1 OF spot (starting OR depth).

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of the fully locked guys, I think Walton is gone. Villar and Flores MIGHT be competing for the same spot. But maybe they bring someone else in (Canha) in place of both of them? I think Small will AT LEAST make it to ST and will be given a legit shot at making the team.

I expect all the guys I listed with options remaining to make the team.

That means we have spots open at SS/2B (Kim?), 1 or 2 SPs (lots of internal options: Birdy, Black, Beck, Hicks, Bivens), MAYBE one or 2 bully spots (low priority) and MAYBE 1 OF spot (starting OR depth).
I think Kim is a player they will go after, and if they do hopefully it spurs him and Lee to have a solid season in 2025.

I’m now against signing Snell due to his age. Looking at Timmy, Bum and Cain careers, were they not already done before 32?

I would prefer to let one of our rookies fight for an outfielder spot but I think the front office will try and sign a star. The same with pitching.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kim is a player they will go after, and if they do hopefully it spurs him and Lee to have a solid season in 2025.

I’m now against signing Snell due to his age. Looking at Timmy, Bum and Cain careers, were they not already done before 32?

I would prefer to let one of our rookies fight for an outfielder spot but I think the front office will try and sign a star. The same with pitching.
The star outfielder in free agency will be Juan Soto. I'm sure the Giants "will be in on pursuing him", but, like others here, I have serious doubts we'll even be one of the top contending teams for his services.
There some other solid outfielders (Teoscar Hernandez, Tyler O'Neill, potentially Clay Bellinger) but they haven't shown the consistency yet to be considered stars (or have lost enough luster to no longer fit that spot in Bellinger's case). Beyond that, there isn't much left on the market. Mainly platoon outfielders and guys who have faded badly in production.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The star outfielder in free agency will be Juan Soto. I'm sure the Giants "will be in on pursuing him", but, like others here, I have serious doubts we'll even be one of the top contending teams for his services.
There some other solid outfielders (Teoscar Hernandez, Tyler O'Neill, potentially Clay Bellinger) but they haven't shown the consistency yet to be considered stars (or have lost enough luster to no longer fit that spot in Bellinger's case). Beyond that, there isn't much left on the market. Mainly platoon outfielders and guys who have faded badly in production.
And I am ok seeing if one of Crazy, Matos or Carny can take the next step become a solid starter.

And we have no idea who may be available in the trade market.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am ok seeing if one of Crazy, Matos or Carny can take the next step become a solid starter.

And we have no idea who may be available in the trade market.
That is true but I was just focused on free agents as that is what sf1giantfan was referring to.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he working out with Nick Lowery?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMonte Wade Jr's arbitration cost will not be prohibitive by any means, but he could end up being a non-tender candidate after struggling to a .228/.323/.386 (95 wRC+) line in the second half.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMonte Wade Jr's arbitration cost will not be prohibitive by any means, but he could end up being a non-tender candidate after struggling to a .228/.323/.386 (95 wRC+) line in the second half.
What other options are there? Is there a comparable 1B on the market who would be willing to come here on a 1-year pact?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the list of available options:

Goldy and Tellez (and Canha) are the only ones who really caught my eye (Tellez only because he grew up a Giants fan). I could see each of them open to a 1-year deal.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldy and Tellez (and Canha) are the only ones who really caught my eye (Tellez only because he grew up a Giants fan). I could see each of them open to a 1-year deal.
But would any of them be better and/or cheaper than Wade? Okay, Canha would likely be cheaper, but would the cost savings get eaten up by lower production? He (as well as Goldschmidt) is not that young.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But would any of them be better and/or cheaper than Wade? Okay, Canha would likely be cheaper, but would the cost savings get eaten up by lower production? He (as well as Goldschmidt) is not that young.
We need someone who can be cut immediately if Eldridge makes the jump. If Goldy asks for 16M (which he very well might), than rule him out. I would imagine we could get Tellez at a decent price (same with Canha).

But Wade is probably the best option of these. When healthy, he is effective. And while he is a bit midget-ish, he still provides decent D at 1st. And if Eldridge does arrive early, he can be moved to the OF for depth.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade and Canha share 1st base until a rookie replaces them.
I'm okay moving on from Canha. He is going to be 36 years old next season and his hitting has been slightly below league average, by measure of OPS+. While he started hot with the Giants, his numbers with the team is now a bit worse than what he was doing with the Tigers. Now he was an above average hitter just last year, and has been one for most of his career, so if he is kept on a one year deal for cheap, then I understand him as a place holder but I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to bounce back at this age.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay moving on from Canha. He is going to be 36 years old next season and his hitting has been slightly below league average, by measure of OPS+. While he started hot with the Giants, his numbers with the team is now a bit worse than what he was doing with the Tigers. Now he was an above average hitter just last year, and has been one for most of his career, so if he is kept on a one year deal for cheap, then I understand him as a place holder but I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to bounce back at this age.
Absolutely. Canha is AT BEST a filler. Any expectation beyond that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the crazy thing about Wade's 2nd half swoon, his OPS+ this year, counting the precipitous drop in production the last couple of months, is actually one point above last year's! By that standard, he is 21 points better than the average MLB hitter. That shows just how bad offense has gotten around MLB but also how valuable Wade still is to this team.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the crazy thing about Wade's 2nd half swoon, his OPS+ this year, counting the precipitous drop in production the last couple of months, is actually one point above last year's! By that standard, he is 21 points better than the average MLB hitter. That shows just how bad offense has gotten around MLB but also how valuable Wade still is to this team.
Unfortunately Wade is made out of glass or cheap breakable plastic. If not Canha, then someone else on the cheap to help Wade out through the season.