• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, regardless who one puts on the opening day roster, it is looking likely that the Giants will need to make room on the 40 man roster for at least 4 and likely 5 players. That is a lot. So would are the likely casualties? My candidates are:
Joey Bart - We all expect this to happen (unless the Giants need him in case Bailey's hand doesn't properly heal in time). Hopefully they can trade him.
David Villar - Another guy who seems buried in the org now. Maybe they can use his trade spring to trade him too.
Cooper Hummel - A puzzling acquisition to begin with. He seems redundant with Blake Sabol in the org but it seems FZ loves him catcher-outfielders.
Brett Wisely - Yes, he is a middle infielder but FZ may want to try to sneak him through waivers.
Randy Rodriguez - He wasn't that good last year and doesn't seem to be high on the depth charts with the Giants. Seems like an obvious candidate.

That may well be the 5 guys the Giants clear off the 40 man roster. However, if they can trade Conforto, that would give them one spot so not all 5 have to be dfa'd.

Expanding beyond this 5 would be hard, it would probably consist of guys like Sean Hjelle, Ethan Small and Erik Miller. Possibly Otto Lopez and Blake Sabol.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth ..... I expect this to be a very difficult year for a team like SF. At some point we have to make a hard decision on what are we playing for ... today (win now) or for tomorrow (play the kids and see what you really have). This is where players like Matos get caught in the middle. As long as management feels that we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs his time will be limited and with a very short leash, I'd guess that would be the approach with all the kids. The veterans will hold the field until it seems that we will no longer in the hunt. This team will definitely be interesting to watch .... just not sure how high they can actually climb and how much playing time the kids will see .... .

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baggs today:

C -- Bales, Murph
IF -- LWJ, Tyro, Ahmed, Chappy, Flowers, Fitz
OF -- Lee, Yaz, Slater, Forto
DH -- Soler
SP -- Spider, Harry, Hicks, Winn, Black
RP -- Doval, Taylor, Tyler, Jax, Walker, Jefferies, Garrett, Roupp

He makes this point:

Luis Matos continues to force the issue. Matos entered Saturday with a 1.113 OPS that ranked fourth among all big leaguers in the exhibition season. Nobody this spring has more extra-base hits (five doubles, three home runs). Assuming the Giants cannot find a taker for Conforto and most of his $18 million salary, they’ll begin the year hoping he can have a bounce-back season as he seeks a platform to free agency.

I'd really like to see them move Forto for a small return, even if they have to eat half that salary. I think Matos is ready.
So that means we need space for Ahmed, Black, Jefferies, Garrett and Roup. We already have one open slot (Davis), and Bart will be a DFA casualty. So who will the other 3 be?

Wisely?
Hummell?
Lopez?
Rodriguez?
Small?
Ramos?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that means we need space for Ahmed, Black, Jefferies, Garrett and Roup. We already have one open slot (Davis), and Bart will be a DFA casualty. So who will the other 3 be?

Wisely?
Hummell?
Lopez?
Rodriguez?
Small?
Ramos?
Forgot that Davis removal created a spot on the 40 man. Please see my post above for suggestions on who gets bumped.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do wonder if the Giants could package Conforto with Villar and Bart for someone to either start to pitch in the bullpen. Of course, I'm not sure how many teams would want that combination of players. Those may need to be separate trades.

Does Baggs explain why he thinks Garrett makes the team? Is that purely based on the fact he has major league experience? And why Roupp? He seems better poised to start in AA than pitch relief at the big league level.

the Giants’ choices for a second lefty are down to Garrett, Sanchez and Miller. Sanchez, a 23-year-old non-roster invitee who came up through the system and pitched at High-A Eugene last season, is having the strongest spring. He’s wowing the catchers and coaching staff with his emerging velocity and changeup and has allowed one run in five appearances (six innings) with six strikeouts and no walks. If the Giants base their roster decisions on inventory and experience (with extra credit for charisma), then Garrett has a leg up. Miller already was optioned to minor-league camp but could return if needed.

Roupp hasn’t pitched above Double A and didn’t make his exhibition debut until March 9, but his curveball is the most talked-about pitch of the spring in Scottsdale, and his two-seamer might rank a close second. If the Giants can get Roupp stretched out quickly enough, he’ll join Jefferies as a candidate to start or pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Michael Schwab (Astros beat writer):

Update: The Astros appear to be long-shots to sign Blake Snell, with the Giants as the favorites, per
@BNightengale
. What have I heard? It's my understanding that Houston and Snell have never been close in numbers through the whole process.
Blake Snell has told the Astros he’s seeking at least a two-year, $66M deal with an opt-out after 2024, per
@BNightengale
The Astros are intrigued, but are “the latest team to balk at his asking price”

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hector Gomez reporting that the Giants have offered Snell a contract of at least 3 years.

Maybe FZ is going to couple that with a trade of Forto and get under the tax?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hector Gomez reporting that the Giants have offered Snell a contract of at least 3 years.

Maybe FZ is going to couple that with a trade of Forto and get under the tax?
Weird to hear that after reading that the Giants are still the favorites and that Snell is looking for a 2 year (with opt out after first year) at $30 million per. I guess FZ is trying to lower the AAV?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird to hear that after reading that the Giants are still the favorites and that Snell is looking for a 2 year (with opt out after first year) at $30 million per. I guess FZ is trying to lower the AAV?
Exactly. But to get under the tax he'd still need to deal Forto, Yaz, or Cobb.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yaz and Cobb aren’t going anywhere.
Why the commitment to Yaz?

I like the guy, but he's not elite, seems to be injury prone, not a fan draw, and I'd be surprised (pleasently) if his numbers were to improve dramatically. Is it just a reasonable contract, some veteran leadership, and the ability to play all outfield positions?

It would seems his spot would be open for an upgrade

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the guy, but he's not elite, seems to be injury prone, not a fan draw, and I'd be surprised (pleasently) if his numbers were to improve dramatically. Is it just a reasonable contract, some veteran leadership, and the ability to play all outfield positions?

He may not be elite but he is a decent. There are no upgrades on the free agent market right now and trading for an upgrade is going to hurt the farm system.
Conforto, on the other hand, is a step below but at a price above. At tzill said, it will be hard to get him off the books. The Giants may have to trade a prospect or two just to get that accomplished.
It will likely come down to either the Giants don't care and go over the luxury tax threshold or walk away from Snell (maybe pivot to Lorenzen, Clevinger or another tier down starter).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yaz is better than he seems, but is a draw only insofar as his name will draw fans/attention. He has absolutely zero public personality, and plays at slightly above “average” for an MLB starting OFer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it will be...next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not be elite but he is a decent. There are no upgrades on the free agent market right now and trading for an upgrade is going to hurt the farm system.
Conforto, on the other hand, is a step below but at a price above. At tzill said, it will be hard to get him off the books. The Giants may have to trade a prospect or two just to get that accomplished.
It will likely come down to either the Giants don't care and go over the luxury tax threshold or walk away from Snell (maybe pivot to Lorenzen, Clevinger or another tier down starter).
somebody on twitter was pointing out to me today how bad Lorenzen and Clevinger are. I haven't researched it, and admittedly he is a huge Snell fan "CY pitcher." But I seem to recall Lorenzen was ok. A #3/#4 type who wouldn't cost a whole lot on a 1 year deal.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somebody on twitter was pointing out to me today how bad Lorenzen and Clevinger are. I haven't researched it, and admittedly he is a huge Snell fan "CY pitcher." But I seem to recall Lorenzen was ok. A #3/#4 type who wouldn't cost a whole lot on a 1 year deal.
Lorenzen wants a 2 year deal. Clevinger wants a 1 year deal. Neither are likely asking for much. They are not peak Snell, but what are the chances the Giants get peak Snell? They aren't number 1 or number 2 guys but are solid 3-4s.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

So that changes the rotation.

When will he be ready?

tzill

Lefty 99