• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus you’d have to guess if Soler is a Giant, Conforto would be gone. If that is the case I’d be all for it.
I don't think so. I'd imagine they would rotate Forto, Yaz, and Soler with Soler getting the bulk of his ABs at DH.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you basing that on his 128 OPS+ in 2023 or his career OPS+ of 113? Prior to 2023, he posted back to back seasons with slightly below average OPS+. I wouldn't gamble on him replicating last season.

And, based on what little I've seen from the posters on this forum about signing him, I really doubt the latter of your skrees will come to pass if he is not signed.
The second Skree will happen regardless. He didn't get Shohei.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got him just cash. Doesn’t look great, but he is young and has pedigree.
Ethan Small was a 2019 1st-round pick. Solid 3.14 ERA in the minors, but has yielded 10 earned runs in 10.1 innings in the majors.

For money? This one seems like a zero downside move.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised that the Brewers gave up on him so quickly. Barely gotten any big league action and got converted to the bullpen rather quickly after a quick ascent to AAA. He could turn out to be another Tyler Beede but I like this acquisition.
And he still has 1 option, so we can work with him for a full year without having to protect him in SF. Even if he fails, no risk acquisition. Typical churn, but I would put him at the higher end of potential.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I'd imagine they would rotate Forto, Yaz, and Soler with Soler getting the bulk of his ABs at DH.
Where would Flowers play? 1B? Upgrading from Conforto to Soler is exciting. The delta between Flowers and Soler is less exciting.

I’d rather have Conforto gone, and then rotate Soler/Flowers as DH and then give Yaz rest with an OF of Lee, Matos, Yaz, LWJ and Slater.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the point of going after Soler. He would be an improvement, yes, but he BASICALLY only plays DH, so he wouldn’t be improving the team by that much (and potentially hurting the team due to the defensive configurations he would be forcing).

I do not see this team as any level of play off contender, so making incremental “improvements” of this degree, at the cost it would likely require, seems more of a net negative than a net-positive.

This team has literally no rotation, questionable defense and no hitting.

But hey, baseball is a toss up game, right? And 2021 was just a few years ago. We have to have hope, because anything can happen.

Right?

RIGHT?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see the point of going after Soler. He would be an improvement, yes, but he BASICALLY only plays DH, so he wouldn’t be improving the team by that much (and potentially hurting the team due to the defensive configurations he would be forcing).

I do not see this team as any level of play off contender, so making incremental “improvements” of this degree, at the cost it would likely require, seems more of a net negative than a net-positive.

This team has literally no rotation, questionable defense and no hitting.

But hey, baseball is a toss up game, right? And 2021 was just a few years ago. We have to have hope, because anything can happen.

Right?

RIGHT?
I don’t know what I don’t know (from a contract size or length perspective), but signing Soler shouldn’t impact any young players to my knowledge and if the contract is right, he can be flipped at the deadline. I don’t see any downside to it, but am open to other POV’s and being wrong on this.

Imhumbleo, this team needs to look for improvements anywhere and everywhere, even if incrementally - assuming it doesn’t block any young kids.

We aren’t going to catch the dodgers with one trade or in one offseason unless something crazy happens on their end. Might as well keep getting better however we can. Draft in MLB seems to be one of the bigger crapshoots, so tanking doesn’t seem viable or likely given the the fanbase’s wants/needs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know what I don’t know (from a contract size or length perspective), but signing Soler shouldn’t impact any young players to my knowledge and if the contract is right, he can be flipped at the deadline. I don’t see any downside to it, but am open to other POV’s and being wrong on this.

Imhumbleo, this team needs to look for improvements anywhere and everywhere, even if incrementally - assuming it doesn’t block any young kids.

We aren’t going to catch the dodgers with one trade or in one offseason unless something crazy happens on their end. Might as well keep getting better however we can. Draft in MLB seems to be one of the bigger crapshoots, so tanking doesn’t seem viable or likely given the the fanbase’s wants/needs.
But having someone who essentially can only play DH just takes ABs away from Flores and Conforto (and rest days for other guys like Yaz).

Being able to flip him at the deadline is a good point, but this team rarely sells (FZ is more apt to do this than Sabes was, though, tbf)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would Flowers play? 1B? Upgrading from Conforto to Soler is exciting. The delta between Flowers and Soler is less exciting.

I’d rather have Conforto gone, and then rotate Soler/Flowers as DH and then give Yaz rest with an OF of Lee, Matos, Yaz, LWJ and Slater.
Good point, forgot about Flowers. Maybe they do trade Forto.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it will come to pass, but would Flores see less action with Soler as DH? Would he move into more starts at 1st?
I would think that Flores would continue to see playing time at the corners but he really needs to be a full time DH. Not sure how much less playing time Flores would get if Soler is signed and Conforto and/or Davis remains with the team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides Joey Bart, the Giants do not have anyone on the 40-man roster who is out of options and fighting for a roster spot. Usually, there are 1-2 players each year fighting for the final spot on the roster, but that really won't be the case this time around.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PECOTA is projecting Lucy to be one of the worst everyday players in baseball, with a sub-Mendoza batting average and abysmal defensive numbers.

Gotta think he'll be better than that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PECOTA is projecting Lucy to be one of the worst everyday players in baseball, with a sub-Mendoza batting average and abysmal defensive numbers.

Gotta think he'll be better than that.
Ouch! I really hope that they are way off on that. I'd be fine with an OPS around .710 with some average defense out of the rookie (with hopes that both improve).

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had a choice of the 5, who would you prefer the Giants getting ?

Sign Outfielder / DH Jorge Soler
Sign 3rd baseman Chapman
Sign Outfielder Bellinger
Trade for SS Willy Adames
Trade for Pads SS Ha-Seong Kim ( I know very unlikely but if we could swing it without giving up most of the farm)

This list is not including pitchers of course, there might be someone else but I can’t think of who that might be :ohwell:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had a choice of the 5, who would you prefer the Giants getting ?

Sign Outfielder / DH Jorge Soler
Sign 3rd baseman Chapman
Sign Outfielder Bellinger
Trade for SS Willy Adames
Trade for Pads SS Ha-Seong Kim ( I know very unlikely but if we could swing it without giving up most of the farm)

This list is not including pitchers of course, there might be someone else but I can’t think of who that might be :ohwell:
I think Soler would be the most palatable of all the options. He'll be cheaper and on a shorter term contract than Chapman and Bellinger. I'd rather not trade any more prospects to make this team a .500 ballclub. Seems dumb.

The other top remaining free agents, in no particular order:
Brandon Belt, 1b-dh
Garrett Cooper, 1b-lf
Whit Merrifield, 2b-of
Ahmed Rosario, ss-2b
Tim Anderson, ss
Gio Urshela, 3b-ss
Evan Longoria, 3b-1b-dh
Tommy Pham, lf
Michael Taylor, cf
Adam Duvall, lf-cf
JD Martinez, dh