• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I wouldn't mind being signed as a platoon guy for Panik and Crawford backup is Jose Igelsias.

Dude is still a good defender, and he's always been a better bat against lefties. 136 wRC+ vs. lefties in '18, 106 wRC+ over his entire career.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could trade for LeMahieu. The remaining options on the free agent market are not worth replacing Panik, unless Panik brings back some decent prospects (which he probably wouldn't).
I trust you weren’t serious, but by rule, Lamahieu can’t be traded until May or something.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I wouldn't mind being signed as a platoon guy for Panik and Crawford backup is Jose Igelsias.

Dude is still a good defender, and he's always been a better bat against lefties. 136 wRC+ vs. lefties in '18, 106 wRC+ over his entire career.
He is still available and could probably be signed cheaply.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awe already have 300 util players. We don’t need more.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. The Giants recently signed Donovan Solano to a minor league deal. Apparently, Zaidi shares Sabean and Evan's fondness for accruing middle infielders by the dozens.
Let me amend my original statement...

I am AOK with getting utils as NRIs, just not signing them to MLB contracts.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me amend my original statement...

I am AOK with getting utils as NRIs, just not signing them to MLB contracts.

If they traded Panik, I wouldn't mind a platoon between Hanson and Iglesias. Hanson's strong side is, by far, his left side. In the minors, only Avelino and Valera are on the 40-man roster with Kelby gone. Then there's Hinojosa, Solano and Howard. That's about it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they traded Panik, I wouldn't mind a platoon between Hanson and Iglesias. Hanson's strong side is, by far, his left side. In the minors, only Avelino and Valera are on the 40-man roster with Kelby gone. Then there's Hinojosa, Solano and Howard. That's about it.
I would rather give that 40 spot to a starting level infielder, a catcher, an OFer or a pitcher. We don’t need another bu infielder. We already have Avelino, Velara, Hanson, Jones and Sandoval as back up infielders on the 40.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot Levi Michael. He played mostly short, 3rd and 2nd last year at AA. That's 6 guys to stick between AA, AAA and the big leagues. Already too many for those levels (not counting Hanson).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather give that 40 spot to a starting level infielder, a catcher, an OFer or a pitcher. We don’t need another bu infielder. We already have Avelino, Velara, Hanson, Jones and Sandoval as back up infielders on the 40.

I agree with that. However if the circumstances demand it (for example, if Panik is traded for a young starting pitcher), then I wouldn't mind going after someone like Iglesias.

Out of all those guys you mentioned, though, I only trust one to play SS well enough (Velara).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. He is a good place-holder type player.
The deal is fairly cheap (6.5 million with a 500k buyout) and he is not locked in long term. It should make it easy for the Giants to bump him to the bullpen (or let him go completely) if he struggles badly and someone is ready to replace him. Otherwise, he brings good production at a cheap price.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 remaining outfield free agents: Bryce Harper, AJ Pollock, Robbie Grossman, Marwin Gonzalez, Carlos Gonzalez, Nick Markakis, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, Adam Jones and Denard Span.

Also, there are still 18 free agent starting pitchers available. Zaidi has said that he plans to get more depth. Who among this group would be worth a filer on a minor league or 1 year deal (I'd rather he not get anyone though, as I'd rather see Suarez start). Here's the remaining available starters: Dallas Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, Clay Buchholz, Wade Miley, Brett Anderson, Marco Estrada, Miguel Gonzalez, Edwin Jackson, Doug Fister, Jason Hammel, Yovani Gallardo, Drew Pomeranz, Jeremy Hellickson, James Shields, Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano, Martin Perez, Barolo Colon

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 remaining outfield free agents: Bryce Harper, AJ Pollock, Robbie Grossman, Marwin Gonzalez, Carlos Gonzalez, Nick Markakis, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, Adam Jones and Denard Span.

Also, there are still 18 free agent starting pitchers available. Zaidi has said that he plans to get more depth. Who among this group would be worth a filer on a minor league or 1 year deal (I'd rather he not get anyone though, as I'd rather see Suarez start). Here's the remaining available starters: Dallas Keuchel, Gio Gonzalez, Clay Buchholz, Wade Miley, Brett Anderson, Marco Estrada, Miguel Gonzalez, Edwin Jackson, Doug Fister, Jason Hammel, Yovani Gallardo, Drew Pomeranz, Jeremy Hellickson, James Shields, Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano, Martin Perez, Barolo Colon

Hank just said the Giants "like" Marwin Gonzalez. Doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure they like Bryce Harper too

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of salary: Holland is making less than Cahill and Harvey, both also signed on 1-year deals. He's also making less than Fiers, Anibal Sanchez and Lynn, who received multi-year deals.

All of those guys are pretty interchangeable in terms of last-year's stats. Sanchez stood out a bit more, but he's also the oldest.

Pretty solid IMO, and you know he's a good guy and familiar with the clubhouse and willing to move around a bit.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hank just said the Giants "like" Marwin Gonzalez. Doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure they like Bryce Harper too
I think a lot of orgs like Marwin. As a starting outfielder, his numbers aren't that great. He's one of those I'd rather pass on and roll the dice on the guys we've got.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of orgs like Marwin. As a starting outfielder, his numbers aren't that great. He's one of those I'd rather pass on and roll the dice on the guys we've got.

Yeah with the length of his expected contract, age and prior history I don't see scenario where his value gets better. Maybe if he signs a 2-year deal you can flip him later, but anything beyond that is risky. I'd rather find the next Marwin Gonzalez somewhere, or see what MacShaw's got.