• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for the Mariners making a gazillion trades, this offseason would be worse than last year.
Last year was owned by Stanton. Nothing happened until his landing spot was determined. This year is the same.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was owned by Stanton. Nothing happened until his landing spot was determined. This year is the same.
This year it feels like old hat. Last year it was "what's taking so long!?!?". This year its "we've got a couple more months before most of the free agents start signing".
Edit: Actually, it feels like more free agents, in general, have signed (but not nearly as many relievers). I haven't researched it, but I think more free agents have signed earlier this year than last year - except in the category of relief pitchers (weren't they practically the only ones signing before January?).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yusei Kikuchi is off the table.... headed to Seattle. Dang
Interesting that the FO was split on whether he was worth pursuing. Sounds like, from the article you posted on another thread, that Kikuchi was much more interested in SF than the team was in him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that the FO was split on whether he was worth pursuing. Sounds like, from the article you posted on another thread, that Kikuchi was much more interested in SF than the team was in him.

I got the same vibe. Wonder where the split came, was it between the new and the old? Who was opposed?

I will say after seeing the final price tag, I'm fine letting him go. No need for another $100m pitcher on the staff.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the same vibe. Wonder where the split came, was it between the new and the old? Who was opposed?

I will say after seeing the final price tag, I'm fine letting him go. No need for another $100m pitcher on the staff.
Interesting questions that we may never know the answers to. If it was between the new and the old, I wonder which group was more interested in him.
I do wonder if we'll see a couple of back end starters signed off the market in February to minor league deals. Seems like a depth move that Zahidi did with LA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Cole was just DFA’d by the Spanks. He seems like a great dumpster-dive option.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting questions that we may never know the answers to. If it was between the new and the old, I wonder which group was more interested in him.
I do wonder if we'll see a couple of back end starters signed off the market in February to minor league deals. Seems like a depth move that Zahidi did with LA.

I HOPE they target a few guys like that.

Not only will they most likely need them, they can be really valuable trade bait at the deadline.

Someone like Drew Pomeranz could be excellent. He was awful last year, but his numbers were way out of whack. His walks were way above normal, his homers were way above normal, his flyball rate was way above normal, his BABIP was way above normal, and his fastball was about 2 MPH slower. Is it possible he's just on a huge decline? Yeah, but maybe last year was an off-year injury wise and he can bounce back next year. Shouldn't cost a whole bunch either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh shit. I just noticed where Valera was born...

Montalban, Venezuela.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: I had typed the word "not" before "died" . . . in my mind.
I do that all the time. And half the other time auto correct will ADD a “not” where I didn’t intend it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do that all the time. And half the other time auto correct will ADD a “not” where I didn’t intend it.
tenor.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Brewers signing Grandal to a one year deal (worth close to $20 million), there are 8 catchers left on the market. I'd rank them in the following three tiers:

Tier 3 (Tiers 1 & 2 all signed) - Devin Mesoraco, Nick Hundley
Tier 4 - Matt Wieters, Rene Rivera, Martin Maldonado, AJ Ellis
Tier 5 - Caleb Joseph, Drew Butera

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Brewers signing Grandal to a one year deal (worth close to $20 million), there are 8 catchers left on the market. I'd rank them in the following three tiers:

Tier 3 (Tiers 1 & 2 all signed) - Devin Mesoraco, Nick Hundley
Tier 4 - Matt Wieters, Rene Rivera, Martin Maldonado, AJ Ellis
Tier 5 - Caleb Joseph, Drew Butera
With the chances of Posey not being ready on day 1 higher than slim, I think the Giants really HAVE to sign one of these guys. I don’t like the idea of our opening day catching tandem being Garcia and Rup. Even if this is a punt year.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the chances of Posey not being ready on day 1 higher than slim, I think the Giants really HAVE to sign one of these guys. I don’t like the idea of our opening day catching tandem being Garcia and Rup. Even if this is a punt year.

Would be fine just bringing Hundley back this year.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Bart could be a summer-time add to the roster. Having a guy like Hundley around who understands his role and isn't trying to come in here and step on toes could be key.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be fine just bringing Hundley back this year.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Bart could be a summer-time add to the roster. Having a guy like Hundley around who understands his role and isn't trying to come in here and step on toes could be key.
Yup (about Hundley, not Bart). At this point, I would almost be surprised if he does not return.

I would be SHOCKED if Bart gets a cuppo this year. Even if he destroys the minors, why starthis clock now?