• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumor reported here is true, a reason why I don't want Tulowitzki is the idea of Belt being platooned at 1st base with him. If that happens, Zahidi loses some good will with me. Belt is an accomplished defensive 1st baseman. Even though Tulowitzki was good defensively at shortstop, there is bound to be some defensive issues with him at 1st base. And while Belt struggled against lefties in 2018, Tulowitzki actually did the same in 2017. He hit much better than righties that year. Considering that Tulowitzki's best season in his 3 and a half years with Toronto looked a lot like Belt's 2018 season.

I'd hardly call that a rumor, more speculation.

I would think Panik would be the primary platoon guy over Belt, even just for, as you say, defense alone.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hardly call that a rumor, more speculation.

I would think Panik would be the primary platoon guy over Belt, even just for, as you say, defense alone.
I hadn't heard of the idea of a platoon at 1st base before and the author didn't specify if that was the author's thought or if it had been mentioned elsewhere. I would think it would be more of a 2nd or 3rd base situation and would be okay with either one. I love Panik but his production has rapidly deteriorated. I am a bit surprised he wasn't non-tendered last month.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I'd expect Belt to be traded this offseason. It opens up games at 1B for Buster and sheds a big contract while he has value.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I'd expect Belt to be traded this offseason. It opens up games at 1B for Buster and sheds a big contract while he has value.
But does he have “value”? Just because teams have supposedly inquired about him does not mean he has value. They could see him as damaged goods and are seeing if he is on the clearance rack. I would not want to part with him at a clearance price.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does he have “value”? Just because teams have supposedly inquired about him does not mean he has value. They could see him as damaged goods and are seeing if he is on the clearance rack. I would not want to part with him at a clearance price.
An injury, mixed with a poor season, does not equal value in my book. I would think you are correct that teams are inquiring because they probably think that they can buy low right now. I would hope that an executive such as Zahidi would better appreciate Belt than the previous regime and not ship him off because a lame duck manager doesn't like the player.

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Murphy going to the Rockies, 2 years/24 million. That seems like a steal to me, that guy can rake.

Andrew Miller to the Cards for 25 million. I like that guy, I didn’t even know he was a free agent.

Profar goes across the bay to the A’s, that’s a good pick up for them.

Giants are pretty quiet still. Is there any rumors out there? They looking to sign anybody?

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope so.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's possible, but I suspect there will be an AL team with a short RF porch that will be highly interested.

Will they give up enough to get FZ to deal? Can't say.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Murphy going to the Rockies, 2 years/24 million. That seems like a steal to me, that guy can rake.

Andrew Miller to the Cards for 25 million. I like that guy, I didn’t even know he was a free agent.

Profar goes across the bay to the A’s, that’s a good pick up for them.

Giants are pretty quiet still. Is there any rumors out there? They looking to sign anybody?

I'm sure they'll acquire an outfielder or two. It's been pretty tight-lipped though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they'll acquire an outfielder or two. It's been pretty tight-lipped though.
You mean Gerber and Ferguson? How about Anthony Garcia, Levi Michael and Henry Ramos? There's not a lot of quality outfielders on the market that I'd want to see in a Giants' uniform.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Gerber and Ferguson? How about Anthony Garcia, Levi Michael and Henry Ramos? There's not a lot of quality outfielders on the market that I'd want to see in a Giants' uniform.

Maybe someone unexpected via trade

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone unexpected via trade
The way they seem to be fiddling around with the roster, it seems like the FO is still trying to figure out what they want to do in 2019. No veterans traded for or picked up for a reload but no veterans traded either for a rebuild. It is still early in the offseason, I know, but no knowing what they are doing can lead to wild speculation. Don't they know that they are supposed to consult with me before making decisions!?!?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way they seem to be fiddling around with the roster, it seems like the FO is still trying to figure out what they want to do in 2019. No veterans traded for or picked up for a reload but no veterans traded either for a rebuild. It is still early in the offseason, I know, but no knowing what they are doing can lead to wild speculation. Don't they know that they are supposed to consult with me before making decisions!?!?

Doesn't necessarily have to be one of the established vets. Could be a trade like the Milwaukee/Seattle swap. in fact I'm a little disappointed the Giants didn't do something like that one.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't necessarily have to be one of the established vets. Could be a trade like the Milwaukee/Seattle swap. in fact I'm a little disappointed the Giants didn't do something like that one.
Well, the Mariners is a merry go round this offseason. Maybe they could still pick up someone from Seattle (please don't let it be Bruce. Please!).
But I'd rather see Shaw/Duggar/Williamson get a legitimate chance first. A good half season to succeed or fail. Of course, that is if Williamson will be able to recover from his concussion.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen it anywhere else, but KNBR mentiontioned this AM that there are rumors about the Cubs and Giants talking Jason Heyward. No mention of the rest of the potential deal. Maybe the cubs would send a couple decent prospects in order to dump that contract. That sounds smart for the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is 5/106 remaining on Heyward’s deal. That is approx 13 WAR. Per BBRef, he has accumulated 1.0 oWAR and 2.9 dWAR in his 3 years with Chicago (adding the two does not work, per BBRef notes). Assuming he is worth 1 WAR per season for the duration of his contract (BIG assumption), his actual value is approx -60M.

I have no idea what that means, prospect-wise. I am just breaking it down.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is 5/106 remaining on Heyward’s deal. That is approx 13 WAR. Per BBRef, he has accumulated 1.0 oWAR and 2.9 dWAR in his 3 years with Chicago (adding the two does not work, per BBRef notes). Assuming he is worth 1 WAR per season for the duration of his contract (BIG assumption), his actual value is approx -60M.

I have no idea what that means, prospect-wise. I am just breaking it down.
There better be some of their best prospects coming over if the Giants take on Heyward's salary. Because Heyward isn't going to be too helpful in making this team better.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Japanese Lefty Yusei Kikuchi's 30-day posting window closes on Wednesday. If he doesn't agree with anyone, he's going back to Japan. He's represented by Scott Boras, however, so it's not too surprising that this is going to the end.

Giants are still considered one of the favorites.

Boy it's been a quiet offseason

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Japanese Lefty Yusei Kikuchi's 30-day posting window closes on Wednesday. If he doesn't agree with anyone, he's going back to Japan. He's represented by Scott Boras, however, so it's not too surprising that this is going to the end.

Giants are still considered one of the favorites.

Boy it's been a quiet offseason
That’s cause Harper owns it. He sets everything and he is in no rush.