• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) you left Lopez both as signed and as a Free Agent

2) Mijares is now a FA (gone)

3) Monell isn't on the list (if they have the roster space Apr 1st, I'd like to see Monell as the backup in the majors, and Sanchez in Fresno)

(Now that we've gottten to the "I'd like" portion of my post ;) :

4) I'd like to give Abreu another try. He did well before his injury. But the Giants have always been high on Adrianza, who is a very good defender. I expect one of the two to be traded if possible, but only one will make the final 25 in any case.

5) Ditto Peguero - either traded or the 5th OF (for a coupla months).

I should have taken more time to review my post :doh:

Monell is a possibility, Chez3 still needs to work on some things and it would be better suited for him to be playing full-time. It will be a competition during the Spring though.

Giants like Abreu a lot, but they are also high on Adrianza. I don't see the latter sticking around, he'll likely be traded in a package for a LFer. With Arias around too though, neither Adrianza or Abreu could be on the roster, it could open a spot for Pill.

Peggs is in a similar boat to Adrianza, though he has a better shot at making the roster since Perez has options. I want to see Perez make it as the 5th OF, his defense alone made him a 1.6 WAR player. Maybe Franky Peggs is also included in a trade.

Winter meeting are coming....

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monell and Peguero DFA'd

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monell and Peguero DFA'd

Monell got his cuppo as a reward for his years of service in the org. I am not glad to see him DFA'd, but it isn't a huge surprise and not anything that will hurt the org in any way, either way.

I am surprised about Pegs, though. While I also don't think he us a huge loss, I thought he would have some value in the trade market (even if that value is only a low-end AA prospect). I guess the team feels confidant that JCP can hold down the 4/5 OF spot.

As for Cordier and De Paula, I will trust the org. Neither look worthy of a 40-spot. But I thought the same about Rosario, Machi and Petit, and they all did just fine last year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monell got his cuppo as a reward for his years of service in the org. I am not glad to see him DFA'd, but it isn't a huge surprise and not anything that will hurt the org in any way, either way.

I am surprised about Pegs, though. While I also don't think he us a huge loss, I thought he would have some value in the trade market (even if that value is only a low-end AA prospect). I guess the team feels confidant that JCP can hold down the 4/5 OF spot.

As for Cordier and De Paula, I will trust the org. Neither look worthy of a 40-spot. But I thought the same about Rosario, Machi and Petit, and they all did just fine last year.

Cordier is a flamethrower -- FB sits at 98-100. 11/5 K/BB ratio. Not a lot of secondary movement on his pitches, but a big arm. 27 yo guy with 8 seasons of minor league ball and never a cup in the majors. Ticketed for Fresno I would think.

De Paula is a 22-year-old lefty starter. He signed with the Padres in 2007 and spent that season with their Dominican Summer League team. De Paula moved up a single rung on the organizational ladder each year, last pitching for the high-A Lake Elsinore Storm in 2011. He missed 2012 due to issues with his visa, then threw about a half year in 2013 with AA San Antonio where he acquitted himself well with a 3.86 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over 14 starts. He's likely headed for Fresno with Cordier.

It's odd that either player was put on the 40, but SabeySabes and Evans know more than we. Adios Frankie Peggs and Monell, we hardly knew ye.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordier is a flamethrower -- FB sits at 98-100. 11/5 K/BB ratio. Not a lot of secondary movement on his pitches, but a big arm. 27 yo guy with 8 seasons of minor league ball and never a cup in the majors. Ticketed for Fresno I would think.

De Paula is a 22-year-old lefty starter. He signed with the Padres in 2007 and spent that season with their Dominican Summer League team. De Paula moved up a single rung on the organizational ladder each year, last pitching for the high-A Lake Elsinore Storm in 2011. He missed 2012 due to issues with his visa, then threw about a half year in 2013 with AA San Antonio where he acquitted himself well with a 3.86 ERA and a 1.27 WHIP over 14 starts. He's likely headed for Fresno with Cordier.

It's odd that either player was put on the 40, but SabeySabes and Evans know more than we. Adios Frankie Peggs and Monell, we hardly knew ye.

De Paula is actually 26. this was determined during his "Visa Issues". BR just has not updated their site yet.

I think both pitchers will be given every opportunity to make the team out of ST, with De Paula the fave to take a slot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if my memory serves, we have as likely to break ST with the big club:

SP: Cain/Bum/Huddy/Freak/Tron
RP: Romo/JA/KCya/JLo/Dunning/Hembree/Petit
C: Gerald/Chez3
IF: BB9/Scoots/Stamos/Panda/Kobe/Pill
OF: Herk/Oxy/(open)/Shark/JCP

Guys with a shot in ST
SP: De Paula/Escobar/Kickham/Surkamp
RP: Kontos/Machi/Rosario/Cordier
C: none
IF: Adrianza/Duvall/Noonan
OF: Kiesh/Brown

Little chance in ST:
SP: Flores
RP: Strickland
C: None
IF: AnVil
OF: None

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, from Baggs:

— One more thing that I didn’t blog because, you know, Thanksgiving: Johnny Monell and Francisco Peguero were DFA’d to make room for LHP Jose DePaula (claimed from Padres) and hard-throwing RHP Erik Cordier (signed as free agent). I know some Twitter followers were shocked that Monell and Peguero were the ones taken off the 40-man roster, but Andrew Susac should be ready as an option soon and Juan Perez had passed Peguero on the depth chart.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tzill : why wasn't Abreu on your lists anywheres? Has he been released?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone tendered a contract (who wasn't already released): Abreu, Arias, Belt, Blanco, Petit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandy Rosario was non-tendered, according to MLBTR. I did not even know he was arb-eligible. But now we are at 40...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandy Rosario was non-tendered, according to MLBTR. I did not even know he was arb-eligible. But now we are at 40...

Rosario isn't arb eligible until 2016. The Giants have decided that he either isn't worth the league minimum or wanted to do him a solid and make him a FA. Don't be surprised if he returns to the Giants on a minor league contract.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question. My thinking is that he'll {Abreu} be non-tendered today.

Nope. The Giants need TWO guys for backup on the left side (well, 2B and 3B). Scutaro and Panda are both risks to be out quite a bit. And Abreu showed well last year (especially before his injury). I think they want to give him another long look. I think that one of Arias & Abreu will be gone by 2015 - they are very similar players.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. The Giants need TWO guys for backup on the left side (well, 2B and 3B). Scutaro and Panda are both risks to be out quite a bit. And Abreu showed well last year (especially before his injury). I think they want to give him another long look. I think that one of Arias & Abreu will be gone by 2015 - they are very similar players.

I'd be surprised if Abreu makes the team over Adrianza.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson Williams signed a minor-league deal with Colorado. Not a huge loss, but another 2007 story is done. Noonan is the last question mark left.

1 legit superstar
1 official bust
2 middling MLB util players
1 journeyman minor-league reliever
1 journeyman minor-league catcher

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if Abreu makes the team over Adrianza.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, but I don't see how I could have said it differently : The Giants need TWO guys for backup on the left side. The Giants need BOTH this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I wasn't clear enough, but I don't see how I could have said it differently : The Giants need TWO guys for backup on the left side. The Giants need BOTH this year.

You may be right. But which 2? (Arias, Abreu, Adrianza). Also, that does not bode well for Pill, unless they are going to try to plug him into LF, but then that does not bode well for JCP, and I think he brings a LOT as a bench player...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arias and Adrianza would be two right?