• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is early, it is just something that has been tumbling around in my head the last couple days. Do not take this as a complete white-flag post...

25 Man Roster (Locks)

Madison Bumgarner
Tim Lincecum
Tim Hudson
Matt Cain

Javier Lopez
Santiago Casilla
Jeremy Affeldt
Jean Machi (2 options)

Buster Posey
Marco Scutaro
Joaquin Arias

Angel Pagan
Hunter Pence

40 Man Roster / 25 Man Fence

Kendry Flores (R, 22, SJ) (3 options)
Mike Kickham (L, 25, FRE) (2 options)
Hunter Strickland (R, 25, SJ) (2 options)
Erik Cordier (R, 28, FRE) (1 Option)
George Kontos (1 option)

Andrew Susac (4 Options)
Angel Villalona (2 option)
Adam Duvall (3 options)
Matt Duffy (4 options)
Joe Panik (4 options)

Gary Brown (3 options)
Jarrett Parker (3 options)
Juan Perez (2 options)
Daniel Carbonell (3 Options)

Possible Releases

Travis Ishikawa
Ehire Adrianza

Arb Eligible

Gregor Blanco
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Yusmeiro Petit
JC Gutierrez
Hector Sanchez (1 option)

Free Agents

Ryan Vogelsong
Jake Peavy
Pablo Sandoval
Mike Morse
Sergio Romo

--------------------------------

This is just statement of facts at this point. I figure that Ishi and EA are potential cuts. They are not Arb eligible (Ishi might be??), but cannot be sent to Fresno without clearing waivers. I also figure Carbonell is likely to make the team out of ST.

Hard to determine who will get arb offers before we see who is added to the 40 to avoid the Rule V. I figure Belt, Craw and Hactor are all no-brainers. Blanco may get non-tendered with Petit and Gutierez on the fence.

For OUR FAs, I want Morse and Romo to go elsewhere. Peavy and Vogey may be pursued, but neither will be a high priority. Panda will certainly get a QO, but I have no idea what his camp is asking for, so no idea if he comes back. He will be pursued aggressively, though.

I THINK Kontos and Cordier HAVE to make the team next year. I am not 100% sure if their 1 option is for next year or this year. I forget what I meant by that note.

I will do some research and try to get a list of potential 40-adds in the next day or so.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude? Why are you giving up on the season so soon?

I kid :)

I don't want Morse, Romo back and I don't think they are back. While I might not like it, we are going to overpay and keep Sandoval on a long-term deal. If picking one, I'm not totally sure on who I'd go with between Voges and Peavy. I lean Vogelsong

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude? Why are you giving up on the season so soon?

I kid :)

I don't want Morse, Romo back and I don't think they are back. While I might not like it, we are going to overpay and keep Sandoval on a long-term deal. If picking one, I'm not totally sure on who I'd go with between Voges and Peavy. I lean Vogelsong

Both Vogey AND Peavy are firey, but I am not sure I like Peavy's brand of firey. I also suspect Vogey will be cheaper, so I agree that BETWEEN THE TWO, I prefer Vogey.

However, going outside the org may be the answer here.

I want to go into the year with 5 established starters (at this point, I count Cain in this category, but that may change as time passes). I am OK with Petit as the #6, and relying on Crick/Kick/Blackburn/whomever at the #7. However, Petit is not a lock to be back, so they may need to dumpster-dive for the #6 starting the season. MAYBE going with 6 established starters is a requirement because of Cain. Man, Escobar's face-plant sure has caused problems.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is early, it is just something that has been tumbling around in my head the last couple days. Do not take this as a complete white-flag post...

25 Man Roster (Locks)

Madison Bumgarner
Tim Lincecum
Tim Hudson
Matt Cain

Javier Lopez
Santiago Casilla
Jeremy Affeldt
Jean Machi (2 options)

Buster Posey
Marco Scutaro
Joaquin Arias

Angel Pagan
Hunter Pence

George Kontos (1 option)

Andrew Susac (4 Options)
Adam Duvall (3 options)
Matt Duffy (4 options)
Joe Panik (4 options)

Gary Brown (3 options)
Juan Perez (2 options)

Possible Releases

Travis Ishikawa
Ehire Adrianza

Arb Eligible

Gregor Blanco
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Yusmeiro Petit
JC Gutierrez

Free Agents

Ryan Vogelsong
Jake Peavy
Pablo Sandoval
Mike Morse
Sergio Romo

This is just statement of facts at this point. I figure that Ishi and EA are potential cuts. They are not Arb eligible (Ishi might be??), but cannot be sent to Fresno without clearing waivers. I also figure Carbonell is likely to make the team out of ST.

Hard to determine who will get arb offers before we see who is added to the 40 to avoid the Rule V. I figure Belt, Craw and Hactor are all no-brainers. Blanco may get non-tendered with Petit and Gutierez on the fence.

For OUR FAs, I want Morse and Romo to go elsewhere. Peavy and Vogey may be pursued, but neither will be a high priority. Panda will certainly get a QO, but I have no idea what his camp is asking for, so no idea if he comes back. He will be pursued aggressively, though.

I THINK Kontos and Cordier HAVE to make the team next year. I am not 100% sure if their 1 option is for next year or this year. I forget what I meant by that note.

I will do some research and try to get a list of potential 40-adds in the next day or so.

Good summary, Cal.

Here's how I see it (fairly close to your take):

Locks
SP: Bum, Cain, Huddy, Tim
RP: KCya, JA, JLo, Machi
C: Buster
IF: Belt, Scoots, Stamos, Panda

Fence
SP: Tron, PeaveMe
RP: Guti, Biggie, Romo
C: Hacktor, Susser
IF: Panik, Duffy, Kobe, EA
OF: Shark, Beast, JCP

Longshots
SP: Cordier, Flores, Kick, Heston
RP: Dunning, Kontos, Strick
C: None
IF: Duvall, AnVil, Ishi
OF: Parker, Carbonell, Brown, Ciriaco

Ishi will be an Arb 2 next year, but I'd expect him to be released. EA I think makes it as the sixth IF. I agree that BB9, Stamos and Hacktor will be given new contracts (the Giants don't go to arb with anyone); as will Guti, Biggie, and Shark. Ishi will not be offered arb.

As for the FAs, I think SabeySabes has been planning to give Panda big money all along; he'll be re-signed. Tron may be, PeaveMe likely not. Romo I think walks. Beast is more interesting, as he would be valuable as a fourth OF. A lot will depend on what they decide to do in the FA market and how they feel about Carbonell. My gut says Beast is a goner.

Heston might be the #5 next year, or it could be Tron again, or another FA. I think you're right on Kontos, he'll make the team. Cordier is an interesting possibility and he could actually take Biggie's role OR even the #5 slot.

Of course, Scoots may be done which would free up a roster spot for a FA 2B if the FO doesn't think Panik is ready.

Selected 2015 FAs

2B: Bonifacio, Casilla, Getz, Green, Weeks.
OF: Willingham, Young, Rasmus, Span, Rios

2015 Roster, my guess

SP: Bum, Cain, Huddy, Timmy, Heston
RP: KCya, JA, Machi, JLo, Guti, Cordier, Kontos
C: Buster, Susser
IF: BB9, Scoots, Stamos, Panda, Kobe, EA
OF: Herk, Oxy, Willingham, Shark, Carbonell

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Blanco is in trouble because JCP does just about everything he does, at 1/4 the price.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would say. I don't see Scutaro starting for us ever again (though his name posted could have just been meant as IF players we have, not starters).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would say. I don't see Scutaro starting for us ever again (though his name posted could have just been meant as IF players we have, not starters).

Agree.

I will take it one step further and say that he is essentially done. If we get 40 more PAs out of him, I will be surprised.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Susac will be eligible for a 4th option year. A player can get a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five seasons of professional experience, where "season" is defined as "being on a pro roster for at least 90 days". Since Susac will already have 3 pro seasons at the end of this year, I don't see how he can possibly get 4 option years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

I will take it one step further and say that he is essentially done. If we get 40 more PAs out of him, I will be surprised.

I am also leaning this way. Could be an interesting Panik/Duffman platoon next year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Susac will be eligible for a 4th option year. A player can get a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five seasons of professional experience, where "season" is defined as "being on a pro roster for at least 90 days". Since Susac will already have 3 pro seasons at the end of this year, I don't see how he can possibly get 4 option years.

I was thinking about this as well; I think Hacktor gets traded this offseason and the Susser becomes the #2 catcher.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about this as well; I think Hacktor gets traded this offseason and the Susser becomes the #2 catcher.

I could definately see that happening. Garcia gives the Giants more depth in the system at C, and the emergence of Turner as a B-/C+ prospect helps as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C-Posey
1B-Belt
2B-
3B-
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-

Internal/External options to fill 2B: Duffy, Panik/Bonfiacio, Weeks, Lowrie, Zobrist, Starlin Castro...

Internal/External options to fill 3B: re-sign Sandoval, Duvall (sorta)/Alberto Callaspo, Headley, David Wright...

Internal/External options to fill OF: Daniel Carbonell, Gary Brown, Jarrett Parker, Juan Perez, re-sign Morse, re-sign Blanco/Denorfia, Jonny Gomes, Rasmus, Aoki, Cuddyer

BN-Arias
BN-
BN-
BN-
BN-

Susac/Sanchez, Adrianza, Panik/Duffy, Perez, Brown, Carbonell etc. round out the bench

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-Lincecum
SP-

Internal/External options to fill SP: re-sign Vogly or Peavy, Kickham, Petit/ any free agent on a 1 year deal.

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-
RP-
RP-

Internal options to round out bullpen: re-sign Romo, Kontos, Strickland, Cordier, Gutierrez, Kickham, Petit, Okert, Hall, Boggs, Bochy, Dunning.

I think David Wirght and Starlin Castro are going to be traded this offseason. They are probably real long-shots for the Giants, but they could fill positions of need.

I really like Daniel Carbonell. Keep an eye on him the rest of the year and see how the Giants progress him. If he ends up in the high minors (or even in the bigs come Sept.), he could make a difference next year. He is our insurance to Pagan, and he could even start in CF and move Pagan to LF next year.

I still want the Giants to move Posey to 1B, Belt to LF and start Susac, and re-sign Pablo. Maybe by 2016 they'll do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Blanco is in trouble because JCP does just about everything he does, at 1/4 the price.

I agree. Blanco has been swinging it better lately, but his +$3M salary could be better allocated somewhere else. Plus the presence of Daniel Carbonell spells doom.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One word for OF next year: Willingham.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
C-Susac
1B-Belt
2B-Panik
3B-Posey
SS-Crawford
OF-Pence
OF-Pagan
OF-Carbonell

Go ahead and give Panda his QO and get the draft picks,Move Posey to 3B.

Give Panik 2B,Bring up Carbonell for LF and make Susac the #1 catcher

No need to resign a single FA position player.

BN-Duffy
BN-Duvall
BN-Sanchez
BN-Perez
BN-Dominguez

DFA Arias he flat out blows.

SP-Bum
SP-Cain
SP-Hudson
SP-Kickham
SP-Heston

Maybe not Kickham and Heston but let our top starters from Richmond and Fresno battle it out for #4 and #5 SP

RP-Casilla
RP-Lopez
RP-Affeldt
RP-Machi
RP-Lincecum
RP-Law
RP-Dunning

Timmy becomes the most expensive long reliever spot starter in the league.

I looked at the FA list and it just blows except for Sandoval but I am ready to move on from Pablo.Posey needs a new position and I dont want to give up on Belt just yet which makes 3B the best spot for him.He cant be any less mobile than Sandoval.

Fill out the bench internally,find out who can contribute and start weeding out those that cant hack the MB level.

If Belt just doesnt break out offer up the farm for Kris Bryant or someone like him.This is not what I expect to happen just what I would like to happen.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

25 Man Roster (Locks)

Madison Bumgarner
Tim Lincecum
Tim Hudson
Matt Cain

Javier Lopez
Santiago Casilla
Jeremy Affeldt
Jean Machi (2 options)

Buster Posey
Marco Scutaro
Joaquin Arias

Angel Pagan
Hunter Pence

George Kontos (1 option)

Andrew Susac (4 Options)
Adam Duvall (3 options)
Matt Duffy (4 options)
Joe Panik (4 options)

Gary Brown (3 options)
Juan Perez (2 options)

Possible Releases

Travis Ishikawa
Ehire Adrianza

Arb Eligible

Gregor Blanco
Brandon Belt
Brandon Crawford
Yusmeiro Petit
JC Gutierrez

Free Agents

Ryan Vogelsong
Jake Peavy
Pablo Sandoval
Mike Morse
Sergio Romo

You know the deal, it's only pantshatting if I post it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting name that Bobby Evans says will for sure be up in September: Strickland.

I think he'll be on the 2015 roster.

My updated guess:

SP: Bum/Huddy/Cain/Timmy/Tron
RP: KCya/JA/JLo/Machi/Biggie/Guti/Strick
C: MVP/Susser
IF: BB9/Panik/Stamos/Panda/Scoots/Kobe
OF: Herk/Oxy/Willingham/JCP/Carbonnel

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Gutierrez will be back? I don't see it. During he game last night Kruk was going off him because of his pacing, and it seemed that he was hinting that it was something that drives Boch and Raggs crazy.

While he has had a very fine season, I suspect he will be a one-and-done with us.

Also, while I am not a fan of Peavey's act, he has done quite well for us, and his relationship with Boch is well documented. I suspect he will be back next year. Not sure who's spot he takes, though (Vogey or Timmeh)

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of people mentiond Vogelsong - he isn't signed for 2015 (not even an option year). If Voges is in the starting 5 next year, he needs a new contract. (He'll be 37 in less than a month.)