• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He apparently had fallen out of favor with the owner. Anyone with some insight/educated speculation as to why he regressed from 2014 to 2015? How is he defensively? At 25 years old, as long as Beede, Arroyo, Garcia, and Susac aren't in the trade, he may be a great pick up for us. Mejia for Ozuna straight up would be a coup for the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never actually looked at Ozuna's numbers. I just accepted that he was good and sought after.

I just looked him up.

He is young. He has a bit of power. He has no speed. His OBP is meh (at best).

Maybe Mejia would be a SLIGHT over-pay. But he fills a spot we need, and it costs a price we can afford.

I am not AS excited as I was when I was ignorant, but I still support the trade idea.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From this article, I doubt it would be just Mejia to get him. Keep in mind that he is a Scott Boras client and Boras threw a big stink about the Marlins sending him down in 2015, claiming it was a purely fiscal move.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not realize he was a Boras client. Sabes typically likes to avoid Boras, so maybe we are making a lot out of nothing here.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mejia alone wouldn't get it done, but he could be the center piece.

Sabes/Evans don't like to deal with Boras (does anyone?), but Ozuna isn't a free agent until 2020 so they would be dealing with arbitration, or a 4 year deal leading up to 2020. Boras is open to those, he is just insistent on never sacrificing open market years.

I think Ozuna would be a fine 3 OF, with room to improve. He can play CF as well, which is a huge plus. He's a free swinger, but has power. Him being able to hit 6th/7th in our lineup would be great.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sabes/Evans don't like to deal with Boras (does anyone?), but Ozuna isn't a free agent until 2020 so they would be dealing with arbitration, or a 4 year deal leading up to 2020. Boras is open to those, he is just insistent on never sacrificing open market years.

I think Ozuna would be a fine 3 OF, with room to improve. He can play CF as well, which is a huge plus. He's a free swinger, but has power. Him being able to hit 6th/7th in our lineup would be great.
But what about all the fuss Boras put up this year when the Marlins sent Ozuna down? That is the kind of distraction the Giants do not want.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of which, how do people see a full healthy Giants' lineup looking?

As it current;y stands

Pagan
Panik
Posey
Pence
Belt
Crawford
Duffy
Blanco

You could switch Pence/Belt, or move Duffy to 3rd, or Panik 1st Duffy 2nd Pagan 7th Blanco 8th. Lots of different options.

If we add a bat in LF, we could have a lineup when Duffy potentially hits 8th?! LOL

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of which, how do people see a full healthy Giants' lineup looking?

As it current;y stands

Pagan
Panik
Posey
Pence
Belt
Crawford
Duffy
Blanco

You could switch Pence/Belt, or move Duffy to 3rd, or Panik 1st Duffy 2nd Pagan 7th Blanco 8th. Lots of different options.

If we add a bat in LF, we could have a lineup when Duffy potentially hits 8th?! LOL
Our lineup, if healthy, is competitive with any lineup in the bigs.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what about all the fuss Boras put up this year when the Marlins sent Ozuna down? That is the kind of distraction the Giants do not want.

Well yeah that is part of why is price is low right now.

After Ozuna returned, he hit .278/.320/.469 for a .789 OPS, much closer to his year before.

Not sure the Giants want/need that distraction. But that bat at that price would be nice.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah that is part of why is price is low right now.

After Ozuna returned, he hit .278/.320/.469 for a .789 OPS, much closer to his year before.

Not sure the Giants want/need that distraction. But that bat at that price would be nice.
If the Giants make that trade, I will be happy with it. I will trust they have done the due diligence involved to avoid distractions. At the same time, I will be happy if they do NOT get him, because Boras is a pain in the ass.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants make that trade, I will be happy with it. I will trust they have done the due diligence involved to avoid distractions. At the same time, I will be happy if they do NOT get him, because Boras is a pain in the ass.

Gordon coming off the market tightens things up quite a bit. Less supply (Gordon gone), and less demand (KC out). The rumor mill will probably start to heat up (eg, Ozuna).

Gordon got 4/72, about what I thought - 12/16/20/20 plus 4 as a buyout of sorts. We could have gone higher, but probably not by much. He was the one I wanted. Only two premium OF's left, and I'm skittish about them both.

Royals Re-Sign Alex Gordon

Span made a video showing how healthy he is after hip surgery.

LOOK: Denard Span posts a home video to prove he's healthy

If we can get Ozuna for some 2nd shelf prospects, I'm OK with that. Like you said, I trust the FO did their due diligence, and we'd be getting the 2014/late 2015 version of Ozuna.

That would leave some budget for another move, maybe in mid-year.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon coming off the market tightens things up quite a bit. Less supply (Gordon gone), and less demand (KC out). The rumor mill will probably start to heat up (eg, Ozuna).

Gordon got 4/72, about what I thought - 12/16/20/20 plus 4 as a buyout of sorts. We could have gone higher, but probably not by much. He was the one I wanted. Only two premium OF's left, and I'm skittish about them both.

Royals Re-Sign Alex Gordon

Span made a video showing how healthy he is after hip surgery.

LOOK: Denard Span posts a home video to prove he's healthy

If we can get Ozuna for some 2nd shelf prospects, I'm OK with that. Like you said, I trust the FO did their due diligence, and we'd be getting the 2014/late 2015 version of Ozuna.

That would leave some budget for another move, maybe in mid-year.

I'm quoting you with this post because you brought Ozuna up. Anyone got an idea how he is defensively? On the scale of GlenAllen Hill to Ken Griffey, how is he with the leather?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm quoting you with this post because you brought Ozuna up. Anyone got an idea how he is defensively? On the scale of GlenAllen Hill to Ken Griffey, how is he with the leather?

He was fantastic playing CF in 2014, but like most of his game he wasn't great last year. Still average+ though. And he's got a cannon for an arm. I'll give him a Randy Winn on that scale? :noidea:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He apparently had fallen out of favor with the owner. Anyone with some insight/educated speculation as to why he regressed from 2014 to 2015? How is he defensively? At 25 years old, as long as Beede, Arroyo, Garcia, and Susac aren't in the trade, he may be a great pick up for us. Mejia for Ozuna straight up would be a coup for the Giants.

I'd be ok with Garcia going to the Fish, but not Bickford or Coonrod, in addition to Beede, Arroyo and the Sac.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never actually looked at Ozuna's numbers. I just accepted that he was good and sought after.

I just looked him up.

He is young. He has a bit of power. He has no speed. His OBP is meh (at best).

Maybe Mejia would be a SLIGHT over-pay. But he fills a spot we need, and it costs a price we can afford.

I am not AS excited as I was when I was ignorant, but I still support the trade idea.

I'm not following you there. Ozuna is a 25 yo OF who has proven he's a good ML CF. Mejia has proven nothing, but has a nice ceiling.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I approve of this post.

I looked up Boras/Giant connections:

Tony Abreu
Beltranny
Gary Brown
Quiroz
AnVil

Notably, Fowler and CarGo.

Hmmmm

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve of this post.

Tony Abreu
Beltranny
Gary Brown
Quiroz
AnVil

Hmmmm

and, of course...the Zeets.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve of this post.

Tony Abreu
Beltranny
Gary Brown
Quiroz
AnVil

Hmmmm
Abreu - scrub
Beltran - short lived, supports argument that Giants avoid Boras
Brown - disastrous relationship with team - Boras related???
Quiroz - scrub
AnVil - disaster
Zito - ultimate source of tension w/ Boras?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abreu - scrub
Beltran - short lived, supports argument that Giants avoid Boras
Brown - disastrous relationship with team - Boras related???
Quiroz - scrub
AnVil - disaster
Zito - ultimate source of tension w/ Boras?

You can add Span to this list now :D