• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year we started this in July so I don't think it's too soon.

Upcoming Free Agents ($17.6m):

Madison Bumgarner ($12m)
Will Smith ($4.25m)
Fernando Abad ($800k)
Steven Vogt ($555k)

Contract Options:

Tony Watson ($2.5m) - player
Pablo Sandoval ($555k) - team

Arbitration, Arbitration year (2019 salary):

Donvoan Solano, ARB 2 ($555k)
Kevin Pillar, ARB 3 ($5.8m)
Joey Rickard, ARB 1 ($570k)
Alex Dickerson, ARB 2 ($555k)
Jandel Gustave, ARB 1 ($555k)

Out Of Options:

Donovan Solano
Corban Joseph
Williams Jerez
Ricardo Pinto
Alex Dickerson?? (he might be able to keep this year's option)

******** MARK MELANCON $14.5m SHED.

Giants will have about $110 million in salaries committed to 2020.

I expect that Watson will accept his option. I think Pillar will get a decent bump to the $7m range, and the rest of the arbitration guys to get modest raises. Solano seems like a possible DFA candidate. Add in about $5-$6m in rookie salaries.

I expect the Giants to have around we'll say $130m committed to 2020 with a fairly full roster.

Positions of need: Front line starter, MI depth, manager, bullpen depth.

The first major move we'll see this offseason will be who replaces Boch. The next steps could be trades for Belt, Longoria and Crawford. None seem likely, but it feels like it's time for Belt, and Longo's value will never be higher.

I think they bring Bum back. They still need a front line guy. Other than that, this will be the offseason we get the full-force of Zaidi I think.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm... I think that the info about Sandoval is incorrect. (interpretation) I could be wrong.

He has a 2020 team *option* . If the Giants exercise that option, they are on the hook for it ($17M). If they don't, the old team (Boston) is on the hook for the buy-out ($5M). I think.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm... I think that the info about Sandoval is incorrect. (interpretation) I could be wrong.

He has a 2020 team *option* . If the Giants exercise that option, they are on the hook for it ($17M). If they don't, the old team (Boston) is on the hook for the buy-out ($5M). I think.
I thought the option is Boston's to decide, but its all but a given they will not exercise it as it would be part of their payroll.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmm, I was basing it off the last two years where the Giants picked up his options at minimal cost, but I guess this year could be different because it's an actual option year on his original contract with the Red Sox. You could be right. I guess we'll find out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondered why jeep questioned the possibility of Pillar not being with the team next year but I just saw this - Quick Hits: Pillar, Mets, White Sox. If Sabean or Evans were still running the show, I'd think this is ridiculous (despite the fact that I still think Pillar is a bit overrated but not as much as I thought earlier in the season). However, FZ is in charge and his moves are a lot more surprising. His trigger finger can be awfully itchy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard that name in a while but I do remember that he was one of those players who were talked about as possible future managers.

This process isn't going to be very fun TBH, because we have little to no idea what makes a good manager if they are inexperienced. Most of these guys mean little to nothing to us. If Kotsay or Ibanez get it by impressing Zaidi, I'd feel pretty good.

Just no Mike Matheny please. It's all I ask.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i won’t re-up my season tix until a skipper is named

11833.jpg

I told you about my two autographed baseballs from Jim Plunkett, right?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too many tough decisions for the rule 5 this year. Among the upper level guys, no one really stands out. Keep in mind, teams have to commit a roster spot the entire year to these guys, so to do that, they have to have a pretty good reason. They're not going to keep a guy around if he's going to be a career 4th OFer.

Garrett Williams
Ryan Howard
Heath Quinn
Jacob Heyward
Jalen Miller

Nothing there too inspiring. I think all these guys could make the majors in some capacity, but no real impact players here, or guys that have an elite carrying tool worth stashing for a year to keep. There's a couple guys in the lower minors that I honestly think stand more of a risk of getting picked, but the chances are still very low IMO.

Diego Rincones
Jose Marte

Rincones in still extremely young, but he's a great hitter (from the Pablo Sandoval school of hitting). He hasn't made it above A-ball yet, creeping up the ladder. Giants had a similar prospect in Miguel Gomez recently, who did not pan out. All bat, no glove.

Marte's numbers aren't inspiring at all, but he has a great fastball and changeup. Sometimes you see teams swipe these types up and hide them in the back end of the bullpen.

I think this year the Giants will be on the lookout for OTHER team's tough rule 5 decisions. The Rays and Yankees are two teams in particular to keep an eye on.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are is the projections by MLB Trade Rumors for what they think arbitration eligible players will get this offeason. I expect at least three of these guys to be dfa'd or non-tendered, though.

• Kevin Pillar – $9.7MM
  • Donovan Solano – $1.2MM
  • Kyle Barraclough – $2.1MM
  • Alex Dickerson – $1.2MM
  • Joey Rickard – $1.1MM
  • Wandy Peralta – $800K

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are is the projections by MLB Trade Rumors for what they think arbitration eligible players will get this offeason. I expect at least three of these guys to be dfa'd or non-tendered, though.

• Kevin Pillar – $9.7MM
  • Donovan Solano – $1.2MM
  • Kyle Barraclough – $2.1MM
  • Alex Dickerson – $1.2MM
  • Joey Rickard – $1.1MM
  • Wandy Peralta – $800K
Pillar is good, but 9.7M good? Ouch, babe.

My predictions for who gets offered arb...

Peralta
Solano
Pillar (???)
Dickerson (???)

Bear claw is almost certainly non-tendered (resigned to minor league deal?)
I am still not certain who Rickard is...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe sign Pillar to a 3/18M? Would he sign that?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memo to FZ: depth and versatility are important, sure. But what we really need are guys who can HIT!

We also need to look at younger guys, not guys in their late 20's.

In FZ we trust, right?

If this is ALL FZ does, then I'll be mad. But I don't really mind things like this. No real downside. At one point he was a pretty solid prospect with power potential. Maybe they can unlock it.

edit: upon some research, he supposedly a great athlete just too many swing-and-miss issues. Plays all over the diamond. Sounds like a FZ special.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really? This is a signing that doesn’t even deserve a news blot announcement, and it gets a response of “if this all he does, I will be mad”?

:L

And the LDS’s haven’t even started yet.