• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can add Span to this list now :D
Good point. I didnt catch that.

So would you rather have Span or Ozuna (while losing Mejia)? Seeing as Boras is a constant, that no longer becomes an issue.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. I didnt catch that.

So would you rather have Span or Ozuna (while losing Mejia)? Seeing as Boras is a constant, that no longer becomes an issue.

Span might prevent the Giants from getting someone at the deadline, depending how much money Evans and Co. had to spend. Ozuna leaves financial flexibility, but depending on who-else we had to give up (maybe it would've been Susac?) the Giants may not want to trade away any more prospects at the deadline.

So, assuming both guys limit what the Giants can do at the trade-deadline as well, it really is a toss up for me. I'm leaning the direction we went though, buy Span and keep Mejia+. Never heard anything bad about Span the teammate, can't say the same about Ozuna.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this pretty much wraps up the major moves of the offseason. All told, the Giants spend around $326M on new contracts, plus whatever the sign Belt+Kontos to.

Evans went in with a plan, and I have to say he comes out pretty successful IMO. They paid a lot of money, but he got 2 SPs and a CF only giving up a 1st round draft pick. He also managed to keep the core together. A lot of us thought he might have to give up one of Panik/Duffy/Belt/Craw to get some upgrades, but on paper looks like he did alright without having to do that.

Looking forward to how it looks on the diamond.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this pretty much wraps up the major moves of the offseason. All told, the Giants spend around $326M on new contracts, plus whatever the sign Belt+Kontos to.

Evans went in with a plan, and I have to say he comes out pretty successful IMO. They paid a lot of money, but he got 2 SPs and a CF only giving up a 1st round draft pick. He also managed to keep the core together. A lot of us thought he might have to give up one of Panik/Duffy/Belt/Craw to get some upgrades, but on paper looks like he did alright without having to do that.

Good summation.

This off-season is a BIG deviation from how the Giants have done business in the past 10 years or so. Is that due to Evans having a loud voice in the meetings, or just because this is a different team with different assets and different needs?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good summation.

This off-season is a BIG deviation from how the Giants have done business in the past 10 years or so. Is that due to Evans having a loud voice in the meetings, or just because this is a different team with different assets and different needs?

This is the most money the Giants have ever had to spend in their history, with payroll coming off the books, and the stadium debt being paid off (this year or next), and the 3 World Series, and probably the best marketed team in MLB (Pence #7, Posey #3, Bum #2 best selling jerseys), and the development of property across McCovey Cove. What am I forgetting?

I think it's a mixture of Evans being aggressive but because he's been given the green light by ownership. I think Sabes was an aggressive negotiator too, but he was probably a hard ass because he had tighter constraints. He would offer a competitive deal, but could only go so far. We saw Evans operate that way too with Lester last year. This year, seems like BobbyE has been unleashed a bit.

What I like about it too is that they are spending on all fronts. Free agency, the draft, and internationally. I really think we're just seeing the team firing on all cylinders, and Bobby is taking full advantage.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good summation.

The latter. Things evolve, you can't do it exactly the same all the time, gotta swing when the good pitches come at you.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. I'm a big believer that hitting is contagious. A lineup with no holes like we now have will produce synergies. We caught glimpses of it in 2015 before everyone got hurt. We stand a good chance of leading the NL in team OPS if we stay healthy. No more defining a productive at bat as "not hitting into a double play". We will put up double digit runs with regularity, and have several emotionally uplifting late-inning rallies. The pitchers will be able to throw fastballs for strikes, and challenge hitters as they pitch with leads.

Every aspect of our game will be exciting - speed, power, defense, pitching. It should be a fun season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. I'm a big believer that hitting is contagious. A lineup with no holes like we now have will produce synergies. We caught glimpses of it in 2015 before everyone got hurt. We stand a good chance of leading the NL in team OPS if we stay healthy. No more defining a productive at bat as "not hitting into a double play". We will put up double digit runs with regularity, and have several emotionally uplifting late-inning rallies. The pitchers will be able to throw fastballs for strikes, and challenge hitters as they pitch with leads.

Every aspect of our game will be exciting - speed, power, defense, pitching. It should be a fun season.

#evenyear baby!

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Chris Davis and Ian Kennedy signings this weekend, our deals with Cueto, Samardzija and Span are looking better to me. The deals are getting crazy! Got to wonder how the Davis deal will influence Upton and Cespedes.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case there was any doubt, Cespedes ain't happening with us, at least in 2016:

With the one-year opt out, though, who knows about 2017?

There are rumors (of course) that there were higher deals on the table from other teams, but I don't know if that included us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster is 99.9% set, so lets see what we have again (my guess as to the inside track for the open jobs are bolded)...

SP (5)
Bum
Cueto
Samardzija
Peavy
Cain

Bullpen (7)
Casilla
Romo
Lopez
Kontos
Osich
Strickland

1 Spot - Heston, Black, Okert, Mazzaro

C (2)
Posey
Susac

Inf (6)
Belt
Panik
Crawford
Duffy

2 Spots - Adrianza, Tomlinson, Green, Brown

OF (5)
Pence
Span
Pagan
Blanco

1 Spot - Blanks, Parker, Williamson

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster is 99.9% set, so lets see what we have again (my guess as to the inside track for the open jobs are bolded)...

SP (5)
Bum
Cueto
Samardzija
Peavy
Cain

Bullpen (7)
Casilla
Romo
Lopez
Kontos
Osich
Strickland

1 Spot - Heston, Black, Okert, Mazzaro

C (2)
Posey
Susac

Inf (6)
Belt
Panik
Crawford
Duffy

2 Spots - Adrianza, Tomlinson, Green, Brown

OF (5)
Pence
Span
Pagan
Blanco

1 Spot - Blanks, Parker, Williamson
Agree on everything but the inside track for the final outfield spot. Assuming the team goes with a 12 man pitching staff, I do think that Parker would come into spring training as the early favorite. However, I do believe that if he doesn't do well and Blanks does then it is easily reversed as who breaks camp with the team.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Kyle Blanks was listed as an infielder on the Giants official Spring Training Non-Roster Invites list:

CZrEhpQUcAAGBJl.png

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark-horse candidate to crack the 25 man roster (the Torres/Blanco/Petit) is Rando Moreno. He's a SS/2B utility guy. He's never played 3B, BUT I could see him getting some reps there in Spring.

Carlos Moncreif was my original dark-horse, but he wasn't even invited, which is kinda shocking to me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark-horse candidate to crack the 25 man roster (the Torres/Blanco/Petit) is Rando Moreno. He's a SS/2B utility guy. He's never played 3B, BUT I could see him getting some reps there in Spring.

Carlos Moncreif was my original dark-horse, but he wasn't even invited, which is kinda shocking to me.
It is weird that Junior Arias got invited but not Moncrief. A few invitees are head scratchers.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Grant Green and he played mostly outfield last year.

I think Green played the OF because Alex Yarbrough, one of their higher thought of prospects, took over 2B. Kaleb Cowert is a top prospect at 3B. Another journeyman type played SS, so obviously Green isn't viewed as a full-time SS anymore. When Green played in the majors in 2015, he played mostly 2B.