• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, which is why I don't call Toronto...

This. Bats is the next poster-child for PEDs. Dude was a scrub; dude hooked up with a new team; dude had a monster year no one saw coming; dude has been injury prone since.

Nah. PEDs are not an issue here. Next you are going to accuse Brady Anderson...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Giants have 4/5 of the rotation now locked up. Cain/Bumgarner/Lincecum/Hudson/????

Sounds like Arroyo is pushing for 3 years and he'll probably get it from Minny.

Johnson contacted the Giants and Padres and stated that he would prefer to pitch with those two clubs. He could probably be had on a one-year deal, but at a very high risk. We'd need Petit back, and maybe Gaudin in the Pen.

Haren is still out there, looks like the Yankees are on his list, among many others. His price is probably set at 2 years as well. Sounds like teams have been more aggressive on him than the Giants have been to this point, but that could change.

Volgy is still in contact with the Giants. Haven't heard much of anything on him though, for any teams.

I'm for risking it on Johnson. Petit is still under Giants control and can be used as depth. The reward could be huge, and I would like how our rotation stacks up.

I've also heard talk between Lopez and the Giants have picked up. I'd expect a 3 year/$18MM, like what Affeldt got. Steep price, but his market is pretty strong.

Also sound like the Giants are actively looking at the trade market for a LFer. Potentially Justin Ruggiano.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under contract:
Cain 20.8
Lincecum 17.5
Pence 16.0
Hudson 11.0
Pagan 10.3
Scutaro 6.7
Affeldt 6.0
Sandoval 8.3
Casilla 4.5
Posey 11.3
Romo 5.5
Bumgarner 4.0
Crawford 0.6
Sanchez 0.6

Total: 14 players @ $123.1MM

Arbitration eligible and estimated 2014 salaries:
Mijares 2.1
Blanco 2.2
Arias 1.2
Belt 2.4
Abreu 0.7
Petit 1.3

Free agents:
Lopez
Gaudin
Zito (7.5 buyout)
Vogelsong (0.3 buyout)

SP: Bum/Cain/Lincecum/Hudson/(open)
RP: Romo/KCya/JA/(open)/(open)/(open)/(open)
C: Buster/Chez3
IF: BB9/Moped/Stamos/Pablo/(open)/(open)
OF: Herk/Oxy/(open)/(open)/(open)

Everyone under contract+Belt (who's a lock) is 15 guys @ $125.5MM with 10 spots to fill. Easy to assume Arias, Petit, and Blanco will more than likely be back. Lopez looks like a decent chance, at the expense of Mijares IMO.

Here are the rest of the internal options:

Dunning
Kontos
Hembree
Moscoso
Rosario
Machi
Kickham
Surkamp
Pill (out of options)
Noonan
Adrianza
Kieschnick
Peguero
Perez

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Giants have 4/5 of the rotation now locked up. Cain/Bumgarner/Lincecum/Hudson/????

Sounds like Arroyo is pushing for 3 years and he'll probably get it from Minny.

Johnson contacted the Giants and Padres and stated that he would prefer to pitch with those two clubs. He could probably be had on a one-year deal, but at a very high risk. We'd need Petit back, and maybe Gaudin in the Pen.

Haren is still out there, looks like the Yankees are on his list, among many others. His price is probably set at 2 years as well. Sounds like teams have been more aggressive on him than the Giants have been to this point, but that could change.

Volgy is still in contact with the Giants. Haven't heard much of anything on him though, for any teams.

I'm for risking it on Johnson. Petit is still under Giants control and can be used as depth. The reward could be huge, and I would like how our rotation stacks up.

I've also heard talk between Lopez and the Giants have picked up. I'd expect a 3 year/$18MM, like what Affeldt got. Steep price, but his market is pretty strong.

Also sound like the Giants are actively looking at the trade market for a LFer. Potentially Justin Ruggiano.

I don't see the high risk on a one year deal...

Re: Ruggiano, I'm all for it, what do you think gets that deal done? Blackburn?

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under contract:
Cain 20.8
Lincecum 17.5
Pence 16.0
Hudson 11.0
Pagan 10.3
Scutaro 6.7
Affeldt 6.0
Sandoval 8.3
Casilla 4.5
Posey 11.3
Romo 5.5
Bumgarner 4.0
Crawford 0.6
Sanchez 0.6

Total: 14 players @ $123.1MM

Mijares 2.1
Blanco 2.2
Arias 1.2
Belt 2.4
Abreu 0.7
Petit 1.3

Free agents:
Lopez
Gaudin
Zito (7.5 buyout)
Vogelsong (0.3 buyout)

RP: Romo/KCya/JA/(open)/(open)/(open)/(open)

Everyone under contract+Belt (who's a lock) is 15 guys @ $125.5MM with 10 spots to fill. Easy to assume Arias, Petit, and Blanco will more than likely be back. Lopez looks like a decent chance, at the expense of Mijares IMO.

Dunning
Kontos
Hembree
Moscoso
Rosario
Machi
Kickham
Surkamp
Pill (out of options)
Noonan
Adrianza
Kieschnick
Peguero
Perez

I read today that the roster of:

SP - Cain/Bum/Tim/Huddy
RP - Romo/JA/KCya/Mijares/Hembree/Rosario
C -Buster/Chez3
IF - BB9/Scoots/Stamos/Panda/Abreu/Kobe
OF - Herk/Oxy/Shark/JCP

Puts us at $140MM with three spots to fill. Figuring $5MM fr JLo, I wonder how much is left for Johnson/Haren and Ruggiano?

Edit: don't forget $7MM for Zeets....the gift that keeps on giving.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrianza does not have any options and he will NOT be DFA'd. I think his story will be one of the more interesting ones to follow this off-season. There are essentially 3 ways his story will play out...

1) He makes the team as a util infielder. This is possible, but I am not sure what his ability is at 2B or 3B.

2) He is traded. With all the rumblings about the Giants wanting to explore the trade market for a LF or final SP, I think this is likely. Apparently, this kid scouts out very well, so we may actually get some decent value in return.

3) Craw gets traded and Adrianza takes over at SS. On the surface, this seems like complete BS. But like I just said, Arianza scouts REAL well, and apparently the GIANTS are very high on him. His defense is supposed to be better than Craw's. Also, can you image the haul we would get for Craw right now? It has been mentioned on other sites that the Cards have been floating Miller in order to pick up an MLB SS. Can we turn them away if they offer Miller for Craw and Crick?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrianza does not have any options and he will NOT be DFA'd. I think his story will be one of the more interesting ones to follow this off-season. There are essentially 3 ways his story will play out...

1) He makes the team as a util infielder. This is possible, but I am not sure what his ability is at 2B or 3B.

2) He is traded. With all the rumblings about the Giants wanting to explore the trade market for a LF or final SP, I think this is likely. Apparently, this kid scouts out very well, so we may actually get some decent value in return.

3) Craw gets traded and Adrianza takes over at SS. On the surface, this seems like complete BS. But like I just said, Arianza scouts REAL well, and apparently the GIANTS are very high on him. His defense is supposed to be better than Craw's. Also, can you image the haul we would get for Craw right now? It has been mentioned on other sites that the Cards have been floating Miller in order to pick up an MLB SS. Can we turn them away if they offer Miller for Craw and Crick?

I forgot about Adrianza's option status; thanks. I think we'd have to take that deal if offered. I can't see the Turdinals dealing Miller though. Young, excellent, playoff tested, cost controlled. I guess it depends on their depth in the minors.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the high risk on a one year deal...

Re: Ruggiano, I'm all for it, what do you think gets that deal done? Blackburn?

Risky in the sense that he may pitch 5 innings and it'll be a waste of $8MM.

For Ruggiano, seems like a fair deal. I would rather see our pitching prospects go in a bigger deal (like Miller), but Blackburn could be expendable. I'm sure Miami would be thrilled.

Think there might be the off-chance he's non-tendered though, maybe we could pick him up without giving up a prospect.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Hadn't thought about Adrianza's status.

The RedSox got Jake Peavy for Jose Iglesias, who is very similar to Adrianza in that he is a defensive wizard, but there were questions about his bat. Iglesias got hot before the trade deadline and allowed the Sox to sell high (batted .330, .785 OPS with Boston), but after the trade he regressed back to what was expected in Detroit (batted .259, .654 OPS with Detroit). Adrianza hasn't proved anything with the bat, but showed a decent approach last year.

It's hard to envision the Giants trading Crawford, they've already released some of next season's promotions and they are pushing the double-Brandon thing HARD. But I could see Adrianza+a pitching prospect for something. Yankees and Brett Gardner? Mariners and Dustin Ackley? Ruggiano? Maybe we could work something out for Allen Craig or Mike Adams with the Cards.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Evans has said that the deal is done, just working out minor details. $$ and years are set, but not reported.

Giants Nearing Deal With Javier Lopez: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Per Pavlovic, Gs close on both JLo and Tron. Petit and Escobar as the #6/#7 SP in Fresno; all that's left is a RHH to platoon in LF with Shark. Some possiblities:

Stubbs
BJ Upton
Willingham
Chris Young
Kevin Youkilis
Ruggiano

Gotta be nice to head into the Winter Meetings with 24/25 roster spots set.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavlovic, Gs close on both JLo and Tron. Petit and Escobar as the #6/#7 SP in Fresno; all that's left is a RHH to platoon in LF with Shark. Some possiblities:

Stubbs
BJ Upton
Willingham
Chris Young
Kevin Youkilis
Ruggiano

Gotta be nice to head into the Winter Meetings with 24/25 roster spots set.

Sounds like that's what Sabes hopes to do. By the end of the week, we'll probably have our rotation and Javy locked up.

Adrianza, Mijares, Pill, one of our starting pitching prospects are likely in play for a trade target in LF. We could have the offseason wrapped up by early December.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lopez official, 3/$13M.

With Javy in the picture, and Mijares out, the F.O. is almost ready to call it an offseason. Need a LFer and 1 more SP.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under contract:
Cain 20.8
Lincecum 17.5
Pence 16.0
Hudson 11.0
Pagan 10.3
Scutaro 6.7
Affeldt 6.0
Sandoval 8.3
Casilla 4.5
Lopez 4.3
Posey 11.3
Romo 5.5
Bumgarner 4.0
Crawford 0.6
Sanchez 0.6

Total: 15 players @ $127.4MM

Mijares 2.1
Blanco 2.2
Arias 1.2
Belt 2.4
Abreu 0.7
Petit 1.3

Free agents:
Lopez
Gaudin
Zito (7.5 buyout)
Vogelsong (0.3 buyout)

RP: Romo/KCya/JA/Lopez/(open)/(open)/(open)

Everyone under contract+Belt (who's a lock) is 16 guys @ $129.8MM with 9 spots to fill.

Mijares was outrighted, and he will likely choose to test the FA market. He's gone. Of the arb guys, I'd guess Blanco, Arias and Petit are back.

Dunning
Kontos
Hembree
Moscoso
Rosario (out of options)
Machi
Kickham
Surkamp
Pill (out of options)
Noonan
Adrianza (out of options)
Kieschnick
Peguero (out of options)
Perez

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) you left Lopez both as signed and as a Free Agent

2) Mijares is now a FA (gone)

3) Monell isn't on the list (if they have the roster space Apr 1st, I'd like to see Monell as the backup in the majors, and Sanchez in Fresno)

(Now that we've gottten to the "I'd like" portion of my post ;) :

4) I'd like to give Abreu another try. He did well before his injury. But the Giants have always been high on Adrianza, who is a very good defender. I expect one of the two to be traded if possible, but only one will make the final 25 in any case.

5) Ditto Peguero - either traded or the 5th OF (for a coupla months).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) you left Lopez both as signed and as a Free Agent

2) Mijares is now a FA (gone)

3) Monell isn't on the list (if they have the roster space Apr 1st, I'd like to see Monell as the backup in the majors, and Sanchez in Fresno)

(Now that we've gottten to the "I'd like" portion of my post ;) :

4) I'd like to give Abreu another try. He did well before his injury. But the Giants have always been high on Adrianza, who is a very good defender. I expect one of the two to be traded if possible, but only one will make the final 25 in any case.

5) Ditto Peguero - either traded or the 5th OF (for a coupla months).

I think Pegs gets the job out of ST, and he gets DFA'd or traded by the ASB to make room for Perez or Brown. Assuming, of course, he is not traded beforehand as part of a package to get a REAL RF...