• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason Plans Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the money being paid Fielder will be a fielder. Know its of marginal importance but #6AL FPCT versus #4AL FPCT at 1b between the two doesn't make that much difference.

I honestly would not be surprised to see Mitch gone by ST. Great guy and fan favorite but carrying two LH 1bmen with near identical fielding strength just to DH one of them creates a backup problem ... unless you have a backup catcher like Chirinos.

Platoon's don't work.

Fielder only had 6 errors last year which is much less than he normally has. He is a poor defender though. Fielder's WAR was -2.9, and Mitch's was -0.6. It's not as close as you think. Mitch saves a lot of errors on throws by his IF's. Fielder is not good at scooping them out of the dirt. I'm not sure why you think their fielding is near identical.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally we can do both, I must admit...after signing Fielder the idea of Choo is much more appealing to me.

a LH slugger and a speedy slugger sounds pretty nice

In other words, now that Fielder has emerged, I'm starting to question the need for McCann. It came out of no where, so shifting gears.

And Choo helps offset Fielders speed, McCann doesn't
of course I'd like to have both.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder only had 6 errors last year which is much less than he normally has. He is a poor defender though. Fielder's WAR was -2.9, and Mitch's was -0.6. It's not as close as you think. Mitch saves a lot of errors on throws by his IF's. Fielder is not good at scooping them out of the dirt. I'm not sure why you think their fielding is near identical.

I agree, we take the defensive hit for the hitting. I don't think Fielder is as good as Moreland, and am never convinced by advanced defensive metrics if that's whats coming as a rebuttal

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm starting to feel better about Kinsler. I had already said (before the trade), I'd rather see him play 2nd for another team then be moved around. I think 31 is too young to pull him of his position while he still is one of the best.

I also was 99.9% sure JD was going to find a trade partner for him. I think Detroit is a good place for Kinsler to be appreciated, or rather...he certainly can help. And, maybe most importantly he's playing for a contender. I don't think he wanted to leave and his agent said as much, but his agent claims the Tigers were a good fit, Kins knew this was a big possibility and I believe he landed with a team he'll enjoy playing for. (they were not on his no-trade list, good move Kins) I also think he'll grow on the fans...I expect some new scenery slumping, but also expect that will pass.

I think the first few games are going to be really strange and probably a little tough because it's been a long time with him there.
In the end, this ideally works for everyone.

Thank you Ian Kinsler, what a great run, and a great Ranger.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm starting to feel better about Kinsler. I had already said (before the trade), I'd rather see him play 2nd for another team then be moved around. I think 31 is too young to pull him of his position while he still is one of the best.

I also was 99.9% sure JD was going to find a trade partner for him. I think Detroit is a good place for Kinsler to be appreciated, or rather...he certainly can help. And, maybe most importantly he's playing for a contender. I don't think he wanted to leave and his agent said as much, but his agent claims the Tigers were a good fit, Kins knew this was a big possibility and I believe he landed with a team he'll enjoy playing for. (they were not on his no-trade list, good move Kins) I also think he'll grow on the fans...I expect some new scenery slumping, but also expect that will pass.

I think the first few games are going to be really strange and probably a little tough because it's been a long time with him there.

I am a little worried about him because even though it's SSS he's awful in Comerica.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people really undervalue soto and how he calls games. Just watching him and from a fan's observations he is great with our pitchers.

But Fielder will play 95% of his games at first. In the past 2 seasons with det he only played dh like 4 times. JD already came out and said he's gonna play 1st, and if there is anything wash does best its preach defense. So I think he'll work with him and make him better than he is so he wont be THAT bad...

In saying that, lets get freakin choo or ellsbury. Seriously that sounds awesome. Choo, Rios, and martin/gentry. Sure, McCann sounds nice, but not THAT nice to where we wont be able to sign an outfielder

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people really undervalue soto and how he calls games. Just watching him and from a fan's observations he is great with our pitchers.

But Fielder will play 95% of his games at first. In the past 2 seasons with det he only played dh like 4 times. JD already came out and said he's gonna play 1st, and if there is anything wash does best its preach defense. So I think he'll work with him and make him better than he is so he wont be THAT bad...

In saying that, lets get freakin choo or ellsbury. Seriously that sounds awesome. Choo, Rios, and martin/gentry. Sure, McCann sounds nice, but not THAT nice to where we wont be able to sign an outfielder

Agree on Soto. He does a very good job behind the plate. And he was hot at the plate as well that last month or so. Not saying he is McCann but I am not worried if Soto ends up as our starting catcher.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they might go back to the Tulo table.

I don't think Profar is on the table at all, I don't think he ever was, nor will be.I don't believe JD when he says EA or Profar are on still considering trade pieces, if anything it was just a nice little bitch-slap to the Cards, as in "I have the upper hand now" and maybe, partly.... a gesture to Kinsler, although the former is less likely.

all speculation, granted

My numbers for Fielder come to 75 million plus 4 a season, and like any other long term deal that involves a 30 y/o, it likely won't be great at the end. But that isn't the point, the point was to get some elite hitting from him while we can. (and we want a Ring)

Signing Cano? I still say no way, (or nearly no way) as good as he is...the length and price of the contract for another 30 y/o means probably close to 300 million for the two....and maybe that's conservative.

haven't you learned by now about JD?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of stories out in the last couple of hours about Yu getting a clean bill of health on his back. That's good news to hear, and something different than Prince talk :)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Holy crap, I mean just WOW. Read through this idiot homers story. I'm speechless at this guys "proposals". The worst one, as it applies to us:

Uggla for Elvis Andrus

If the Braves could hop in their DeLorean once again, they could erase one of the worst trades in franchise history by reacquiring Elvis Andrus. The Rangers' shortstop was once property of the Atlanta Braves until the infamous Mark Teixeira trade. In the notoriously bad deal, the Braves sent Andrus, Matt Harrison, Neftali Feliz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to Texas for the opportunity to rent Teixeira for less than one full season.

The Rangers may already have the buyer's remorse after giving Andrus an eight-year, $120 million extension. Jurickson Profar is Texas' shortstop of the future. This deal may have been more possible before Kinsler was shipped to Detroit, but, nevertheless, Texas may jump at the chance to shed Andrus' contract.

He's looking for trades for Uggla and BJ Upton. Yeah, we want to trade Andrus who is one of the games best young SS (no matter what we are paying) for an equally expensive Uggla who had the worst BA of anyone in the entire league last year. "possibly add a prospect or two"...would require more than a possibility of a prospect or two.

How do idiots like that get jobs?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Holy crap, I mean just WOW. Read through this idiot homers story. I'm speechless at this guys "proposals". The worst one, as it applies to us:

He's looking for trades for Uggla and BJ Upton. Yeah, we want to trade Andrus who is one of the games best young SS (no matter what we are paying) for an equally expensive Uggla who had the worst BA of anyone in the entire league last year. "possibly add a prospect or two"...would require more than a possibility of a prospect or two.

lol if the Rangers wouldn't trade Andrus for Upton LAST year why in the hell would they do it this year. However Chris Johnson ended up being a stud for the Braves.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you assuming he is game-fully employed? haha

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, any one of us could be do better than this. :L

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I'm going to regret this, but what are you face palming? I don't see where there is anything to face palm. She's simply saying she'll miss a great ranger and good luck.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm going to regret this, but what are you face palming? I don't see where there is anything to face palm. She's simply saying she'll miss a great ranger and good luck.

Agreed.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And she is right in saying it. Most do I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.